Sky Fibre Optic

Soldato
I can't see anywhere to put the DHCP Client ID on that web interface so I can't see how you can use that router with Sky Fibre - unless you can use DD-WRT firmware or similar on it?

Last edited:
Associate
I can't see anywhere to put the DHCP Client ID on that web interface so I can't see how you can use that router with Sky Fibre - unless you can use DD-WRT firmware or similar on it?

I don'#t mind using another firmware on it, but a little sceptical if I should.
I definitely think the sky router is a disappointment. I would love to use that TP LINK one, not only does it have 5GHZ capabilities whilst being dual band at 2.4ghz, but I've also had excellent experiences with TP link gear (range wise)

If you can guide me into what to do, then I'll for sure try it.
Do bear in mind though, that I have the possibility to return the TP LINK to amazon.
Thus, if the firmware flash doesn't work, I'll need to know how to flash it back.

Soldato
Don't Sky use PPPoE for their fibre connections? Interested because I'll probably need to help my sister with her connection in a week or so.

No they don't, they use DHCP to assign an IP.

I don'#t mind using another firmware on it, but a little sceptical if I should.
I definitely think the sky router is a disappointment. I would love to use that TP LINK one, not only does it have 5GHZ capabilities whilst being dual band at 2.4ghz, but I've also had excellent experiences with TP link gear (range wise)

If you can guide me into what to do, then I'll for sure try it.
Do bear in mind though, that I have the possibility to return the TP LINK to amazon.
Thus, if the firmware flash doesn't work, I'll need to know how to flash it back.

I'm afraid I don't really know much about TP-Link stuff and I'm not even sure if DD-WRT will make it work - you might be better off posting here as other people may have tried to do what you want before. All I can say is that an Apple Airport Extreme will work out of the box by entering the username and password.

Soldato
Any decent offers kicking around? I am currently on their standard 20mb service and got the itch to upgrade. All I can see so far is the 6 month half price offer for new customers?

Associate
No they don't, they use DHCP to assign an IP.

I'm afraid I don't really know much about TP-Link stuff and I'm not even sure if DD-WRT will make it work - you might be better off posting here as other people may have tried to do what you want before. All I can say is that an Apple Airport Extreme will work out of the box by entering the username and password.

I found this:
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-...fibre-working-dd-wrt-tp-link-tl-wr1043nd.html

Seems extremely useful.
So how does one go about getting the username and password on the newer Sky broadband routers?

Associate

Ok thanks a lot for this!
I'll give that a shot, I've already used the calculator again, and gotten my usernam and pass.
I'll see if the username and pass are the same via the guide.

The ONLY reason I used the calculator again, is simply because people on fibre on the previously linked thread, seemed to have gotten their passwords via the site.

Associate

OK - just tried obtaining the password and username - came with 2 different results on each attempt - it was 3 characters long
No idea why it did that. In other words the password didn't come through.

EDIT:
GOT my username and password now!
Basically what I chose to do was to keep wireshark RUNNING as I filtered the UDP.
I was then able to filter and find the string 61 and get the username and pass.

By STOPPING wireshark, for some reason any DHCP DISCOVER I chose came with 2-3 numbers.

Right, now time to flash that TP LINK!

EDIT2:
GOT IT WORKING :D!

A few things I should mention:
First:
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extr...-how-get-username-password-sky-hub-sr101.html

In that guide, see my first edit on how to make sure you get the username and password.

Second:
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-...fibre-working-dd-wrt-tp-link-tl-wr1043nd.html

In that guide, it FORGETS that you have to flash "tl-wdr4300-webflash"
Within the DD WRT command interface.
This video shows it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHE2J4UD4k

Then, for the command I put in:
-----
killall udhcpc

/usr/sbin/udhcpc -i vlan2 -c "############|############" -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc
-----
Ignore the "---"

As mentioned in this post:
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-...-dd-wrt-tp-link-tl-wr1043nd-8.html#post398787

And yes VLAN2, even though it was connected via VLAN 1 (TPlink) and 3 (sky)
I should also mention to LEAVE "" the two speech marks - it is needed, unlike I thought previously that it wouldn't be needed, and that it was a figure of speech, literally.

Finally, this is my router:
http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=&model=TL-WDR4300

Running on SKY FIBRE Unlimited rated 40/10.
Was getting around 3.5-37 DOWN and 6-8 UP with the Sky router (both via LAN or Wireless)
Now getting 37 DOWN and 8 UP.
Doesn't seem like a difference, and you are correct, however now I'll be able to use my 5GHZ-able card via wireless, have better range and more so, not be locked down speed or range wise with the Sky router :)
PS. Latency to ALL servers increased by 5-10ms with the TP LINK.

EDIT 3:
On a final note on the 5GHZ band - I've put 20/40mhz mixed channel frequency
Should I put it only on 40mhz?

I know 2.4ghz isn't good on 40mhz, but on 20mhz is fine. Thus I've put the 2.4ghz on 20mhz only.
Question is for the 5GHZ. Don't really note a difference in speeds

EDIT4:
Realised my speeds were only hitting 25mbps and were CAPPED in wireless only - so figured there must have been a problem.
Googled around, turned out to be the security type:
http://stevejenkins.com/blog/2013/01/my-cisco-linksys-e4200-dd-wrt-settings-for-max-speed/

Check that link for more info.
Make SURE you are on AES and WPA Personal.
That boosted my speeds BAKC UP to 37mbps on WIRELESS, to match the same WIRED speeds!

EDIT 5:
I thought to mention that the WIRED and WIRELESS MAC codes, I put the same.
Not sure if that's right to do or not though.

Last edited:
Associate

I don't experience it, however can see how people CAN experience it.
Its max output via wireless is around 150mbps and via ethernet 100mbps.
For what it is worth, that's a 10year old router right there.

The VM DIR615's from DLINK did a lot better job back 3 years ago for me.

Furthermore, when comparing to other routers out there, like my new TP LINK that cost me around £67, there's no competition.
From dual band 5ghz and 2.4ghz to 1GBps via ethernet. Simply put, the Sky hub is great for your average user that doesn't do much streaming nor moving (range)

nam

nam

Soldato
I don't experience it, however can see how people CAN experience it.
Its max output via wireless is around 150mbps and via ethernet 100mbps.
For what it is worth, that's a 10year old router right there.

The VM DIR615's from DLINK did a lot better job back 3 years ago for me.

Furthermore, when comparing to other routers out there, like my new TP LINK that cost me around £67, there's no competition.
From dual band 5ghz and 2.4ghz to 1GBps via ethernet. Simply put, the Sky hub is great for your average user that doesn't do much streaming nor moving (range)

Thanks so would you recommend the TP LINK over the Asus RT-AC66U, as it seems to be half the price ?

Associate
Thanks so would you recommend the TP LINK over the Asus RT-AC66U, as it seems to be half the price ?

I personally hate ASUS with a passion, due to their horrible RMA services.
But I can't comment on that router or how it performs.
All I can say is that I managed to get the N750 TP LINK router working and so far so good.

I'm posting a video on youtube now explaining a few things.

nam

nam

Soldato
What a PITA to get those details, one reason I chose Plusnet where you can just use whatever router you want.

Do you have the Essentials 76Mb only ? I am trying to get a cost comparison between sky and plusnet. Sky offer only 40Mb at £20 where plusnet offer 76mb at £22.49 does not seem correct ?

Soldato
Do you have the Essentials 76Mb only ? I am trying to get a cost comparison between sky and plusnet. Sky offer only 40Mb at £20 where plusnet offer 76mb at £22.49 does not seem correct ?
PlusNet:
Up to38Mb downloadspeed
40GB monthlyusage
£7.99 a month for 6 months, then £15.99
+£14.50 line rental

Up to76Mb downloadspeed
Unlimited monthlyusage
£9.99 a month for 6 months, then £19.99
+£14.50 line rental

Sky
Up to38Mb downloadspeed
£10 a month for 6 months, then £20
+£14.50 line rental

Up to76Mb downloadspeed
Unlimited monthlyusage
£30 a month
+£14.50 line rental

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As above.

It was 6 months ago when I moved from BT to Plusnet, but even with a multi bundle discount (I have Sky TV) they couldn't beat the Plusnet price. Plus the static IP I now have and freedom to use my own router won me round.

Back
Top Bottom