Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Audio Visual > Home Cinema & Hi-Fi

Old 27th Jul 2013, 18:32   #841
craig_kennedy83
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieP View Post
The issue I had with my Lenovo was that the boot up time into Windows 7, even with an SSD crammed in instead of the standard HDD, was quite long and then I had issues with the graphics as I struggled to get the modified drivers specific to my machine!

All I want is a simple, reliable playback device to stream content from my NAS (via ethernet so not wireless) - predominantly HD films (some 1080p but the majority 720p)

Ideally I'd like a lightning fast boot up and then control via either a wireless mouse of possibly some sort of smartphone/tablet app (Android)

I've tried the WDTV Live which worked for the most part but I really like the XBMC user interface!

Does this sound like the Pi or should I be looking at something else??
The Pi doesn't boot that quick to be honest... but I guess you could just leave it on all the time.

Plaese read the FAQ regadring singatrues
craig_kennedy83 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2013, 18:42   #842
vail3r
Hitman

Can anyone help me? I have my music library and I have an album clubland: Eurodance and in xbmc it is showing the album like 100 time for every different artist on the album.

Whats the solution to this? Do I need to change the song tagging to just say Various artists on all the songs?

vail3r is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2013, 07:28   #843
StevieP
Soldato

Can anyone recommend a USB stick to go for with my Raspberry Pi to speed up Raspbmc?

I'm assuming it doesn't have to be that big a capacity (as I'm streaming everything from my NAS anyway!) and that it's the read speed that's the important bit?

| CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 3.3GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo |
| Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD65 | GPU: KFA2 GTX970 OC |
| PSU: OCZ 600W ModXStream Pro | SSD: 256GB Samsung 830 |
| RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 | Monitor: BenQ GW2765HT |
StevieP is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2013, 08:23   #844
Frozennova
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond View Post
My PI Model B has arrived today, with a SD Card with NOOBS installer on it, on it's way some point next week...

I believe this SD Card will allow me to install xbmc(openelec), are there any USB Wi-Fi adapters out there that work without the need for drivers?

Cheers
The Dynamode WL-700N-XS works with RaspBMC straight out the box. and can be had for £5 if you look around.

Celeron G1610 | 4Gb Mushkin Radioactive | GTX460
Frozennova is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2013, 09:24   #845
Jaymond
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozennova View Post
The Dynamode WL-700N-XS works with RaspBMC straight out the box. and can be had for £5 if you look around.
Is RaspBMC known as Openelec or is that something else?

Cheers for the heads up, looking at them now.

A new PC for 2014? Who knows?
Jaymond is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2013, 09:33   #846
Alexrose1uk
Sgarrista

RaspBMC and OpenELEC are different distributions AFAIK.

I use OpenELEC on my desktop-based HTPC, I quite like it. The samba server is very nice for making my machine a media hub for the house.

I7-2700K@4.88,16GB 9-11-11-33@1900, R9 290 4GB@1115/1500
Alexrose1uk is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2013, 09:54   #847
MouseMat2004
Mobster

I got one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-WIREL...item4aace7f646

Or any of the follow chipsets RTL8712U,RTL8192SU,RTL8192CU,RTL8188CU are plug and play on RaspBMC.

You can download RaspBMC here: http://www.raspbmc.com/

Its got quite a lot of features and quick too, I cant say how it compares to OpenElec as I've not used that on the Pi since the real early days. It doesnt take long so test them all so see which one feels good for you. You can also try http://www.xbian.org

MouseMat2004 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2013, 11:48   #848
MeMeMeMe
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface57 View Post
Have any of you much experience with Pseudotv plugin (PTV), I'm running it on an ouya just now and it runs great apart from the fact when I change the channel the next program plays from the start instead of half way through as designed.
I'm guessing it's down to the fact I'm running an alpha build of xbmc to be honest, but any suggestions?
Is it really meant to allow you to start watching a show halfway through? i wouldnt be surprised if it's working as designed.

I find the pseudotv plugin a bit baffling to be honest. When i set it up, it populated channels with movies and tv shows, which is good, but the tv episodes were randomly presented. It paid no attention to watched history, which makes it pretty pointless to me.

i7-2600k@3.4Ghz | Asus WS Revolution | Silver Arrow | 16GB
HIS Radeon 7970 IceQ2 Turbo CF@1150/1550
Dell U2412M x3 Eyefinity@6048x1200
Coolermaster Haf-X | Corsair HX1050w
MeMeMeMe is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2013, 14:38   #849
Jaymond
Capodecina

I have won an auction.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1510890229...#ht_766wt_1428

Not bad provided it arrives and works

- Even has the option of Raspbmc, to install. Good times, next stop is a Wi-Fi dongle then

@MouseMat2004 thanks for the information

Old 28th Jul 2013, 14:54   #850
Neil79
Caporegime

I was using xbmc at a friends talk talk house and " YOUR ISP HAS BLOCKED Your M....., SORRY "

ffs I want to watch a good movie! Thanks Sky it's not blocked

i7 4790K 4.6 1.275v, MSI Z97 Gaming 5, Superflower 850 PSU, 16GB Kingston, EVGA GTX 980 1553mhz, 2xSSD EVO, AIO Liquid Cooler, Dell Gsync 144HZ 1440p
Neil79 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2013, 15:44   #851
RoganTheGypo
Gangster

I run XBMC on a android miniPC (MK808) it was a bit gimmicky until xbmc released for android... Now its the most used thing in the house.
RoganTheGypo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2013, 09:03   #852
Jaymond
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
I was using xbmc at a friends talk talk house and " YOUR ISP HAS BLOCKED Your M....., SORRY "

I do hope plusnet donnt block it....

Last edited by Jaymond; 29th Jul 2013 at 10:54.
Old 29th Jul 2013, 11:50   #853
aceface57
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMeMeMe View Post
Is it really meant to allow you to start watching a show halfway through? i wouldnt be surprised if it's working as designed.

I find the pseudotv plugin a bit baffling to be honest. When i set it up, it populated channels with movies and tv shows, which is good, but the tv episodes were randomly presented. It paid no attention to watched history, which makes it pretty pointless to me.
No, it mimics TV, so if i'm watching something on channel one and flick to channel two it is supposed to be in line with when the program started on teh EPG.
That's how it was designed, i've got it working fine on my PC just a few more issue on the ouya, which I guess are to be expected for a while.

In regards to your problem with the tv episodes, you can set better rules for the channels so that say at 6pm everyday the simpsons will come on and it plan the next in the series.
You do have to do a bit of work with the rules but it's worth it for people like me who can never decide what to watch.

aceface57 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2013, 17:36   #854
NZB
Wise Guy

Thought i'd give the RGB setting instead of the default ycbcr in the catalyst driver settings and what a difference it's made when using xbmc, blacks on the plasma are much better and more like the other inputs now. RGB full is too dark even when i whack the contrast and brightness up on the TV but the limited one is perfect.

Can't believe it's taken me this long to try.
NZB is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2013, 23:41   #855
MartynB85
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post

What exactly was being blocked?

Does anyone know how make the movie collection screen be default when starting xbmc? I use the osx version.
MartynB85 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2013, 01:48   #856
Disaster
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMeMeMe View Post
Are you asking about art for individual movies? If so, the artwork downloader addon is what you need.

Are you asking about the artwork assigned to the xbmc feature, Movie Sets?

That might be dependent on the skin you use. I think XBMC by default just picks art for the first movie in the collection that has art. But I think some skins find ways to manage this differently.

Edit: someone has made an addon to automate the process of manually updating movie set art: Artwork Automator
Sorry forgot to get back to you about this, i tried the add on and it installed perfectly but when I scan the library for sets its just showing with 0 matches found. Strange

Please read the FAQ regarding signature sizes
Disaster is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2013, 15:46   #857
Jaymond
Capodecina

I'm having a right mare with this NOOBS installer.

I've tried installing RaspBMC numerous times but keep getting the following error:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)

Anyone have any idea how to get around this?

Cheers

Old 31st Jul 2013, 16:01   #858
MouseMat2004
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond View Post
I'm having a right mare with this NOOBS installer.

I've tried installing RaspBMC numerous times but keep getting the following error:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)

Anyone have any idea how to get around this?

Cheers
Tried a different SD card? Some are just not compatible. You could always try RaspBMC direct from their website, its real easy with a PC.

Edit: just saw this on their website "Update: Users who installed via NOOBS should backup their cmdline.txt before updating or they will get a rootfs mounting error. Future versions of NOOBS will fix this issue."

Last edited by MouseMat2004; 31st Jul 2013 at 16:05.
Old 31st Jul 2013, 16:46   #859
Jaymond
Capodecina

Will give this direct method a go.

So I have downloaded the installer which is only 175kb

Is there any thing else I need?

The SD Card I purchased was this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1510890229...84.m1439.l2649

Cheers

Old 31st Jul 2013, 16:53   #860
MouseMat2004
Mobster

Only the installer, SD card reader and a SD card. Just plug in the card and run the installer, it'll quickly download and copy the required files to the SD card, once done, insert it into the Pi and start it up. That will then run another installer on the actual Pi and download the latest RasBMC.

Old 31st Jul 2013, 16:53   #861
Phate
Caporegime

Has anyone got any experiences with XBMChuntu?

I'm thinking about changing my installation to this and having it run this so it boots straight into it.

But a quick question is - what will its access for network drives and shares be like? easy enough without problems?

Also USB with films etc on - again no problems reading these I assume?

I am a proper Linux noob so you'll have to bear with me.

Jake

Phate is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2013, 16:58   #862
Jaymond
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMat2004 View Post
Only the installer, SD card reader and a SD card. Just plug in the card and run the installer, it'll quickly download and copy the required files to the SD card, once done, insert it into the Pi and start it up. That will then run another installer on the actual Pi and download the latest RasBMC.
Let the installer do its thing to the SD Card, popped it in to my PI Model B, loaded up, the installer is downloading the files, fingers crossed this time works...

Old 31st Jul 2013, 17:11   #863
Jaymond
Capodecina

Right we're all good here, it now works but it's very slow sometimes when double clicking or clicking programs then get more.

Now I need to get my head round installing iPlayer and the likes...hmmms

Old 1st Aug 2013, 07:51   #864
Frozennova
Soldato

Need some help with smart playlists.

I'm setting them up to use as custom channels in PsdeudoTV.

I'm trying to set one up for Bond films, which XBMC hasn't scraped into sets.

Creating the playlist to find films by EON Productions gets me around half but not all so I've resorted to searching by Actor, however as Daniel Craig and Timothy Dalton are also in a couple of other films in my library these show in the playlist too.

Is there anyway of either excluding them or an easier way of creating a Smart Playlist to grab just the Bond films

Old 1st Aug 2013, 10:14   #865
NZB
Wise Guy

Has anyone came across a working XBMC addon for Netflix yet? XBMCFlicks is useless. Only our living room TV is a smart TV so looking to get it working in the bedroom, kinda annoying having it on a browser window in there and having to use a wireless mouse instead of a remote.
NZB is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2013, 14:39   #866
wildest_jjk
Wise Guy

Hey guys,

I have very limited knowledge on media player applications and need some advice on whether or not XBMC is right for me?

Just a bit of information on the setup I have in case it helps with my questions. I have quite a high powered HP server that will be running ESXI shortly, this can have software installed if needed. Alongside this I have a custom built server that is going to act as a NAS datastore.

In my room I have a desktop PC with Windows 7 and an Xbox 360 (soon to be an Xbox One). I am also considering buying a Smart TV but this isn't important if there are better options for media. Currently I have a standard HD TV.

Ideally I would like to be able to view my films that are stored on my NAS, record live TV to my NAS and stream this back, view online video (Youtube, iPlayer etc) and maybe some other things that I am not aware of.

Would XBMC be a good choice and provide all of the functions I need it for? Is it going to be better than the Samsung Smart Platform and the Xbox One? What do I need to install it on, do I need to buy something or can I have it on my server/desktop?

Sorry for all the questions, any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

wildest_jjk is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2013, 14:48   #867
Confused
Sgarrista

The only thing you can't do natively with XBMC is record Live TV - but there are a number of solutions available for this which are supported via an XBMC plugin.

XBMC does not *need* a central server, each instance of XBMC can exist quite happily on its own, be that with a local database or a shared MySQL database.

By running a copy of XBMC 24/7 on the server, you can ensure that all your clients always have instant access to the latest media, without having to run a scrape on the client. At the moment, assume that XBMC needs a display, so no command-line-only running of it, but that's the only limitation to running it on a server.

I have mine running 24/7 on my WHS2011 box, which also has a TV tuner card and is running ArgusTV for that purpose, as well as MySQL and a number of other applications.

| Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 | Ford Anglia | i5-3570k, Z77, 16GB, 2x HD7950 |
Confused is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2013, 15:22   #868
wildest_jjk
Wise Guy

Thanks for the response! That's really helpful.

How would I set this all up on the server though?

What would I need at the client side to run XBMC?

Thanks

wildest_jjk is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2013, 15:29   #869
Confused
Sgarrista

It depends on exactly what you want to do, and what OS you want to use.

I'll assume Windows, because that's what I know

Shared Database: MySQL
This will allow you to store your media metadata centrally, and will allow watched status etc to be shared between multiple clients. This isn't needed, but I think this is a really great feature - for example: stop a film downstairs, retire to bed and resume it at the *exact* same point!

Media storage:
This can be pretty much anything - SMB sharing, NFS sharing, FTP, Webdav etc - this can be anywhere that is accessible by your clients, be it locally, or even over the internet!

LiveTV: ArgusTV
Install this on a PC/server on your network that's preferably always on that has TV tuner cards. You can specify where to store the Live/recorded TV (same machine or networked location). XBMC's add-on will point to ArgusTV to load the EPG etc.

On the client side, you've got a lot of options - from an Android box, Raspberry Pi, AppleTV, Mac, or a full-blown PC, running either Linux or Windows Pretty much anything you can think of!

| Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 | Ford Anglia | i5-3570k, Z77, 16GB, 2x HD7950 |
Confused is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2013, 15:51   #870
Frozennova
Soldato

You won't be able to run XBMC on a vm running through esx. I tried running it on windows 7 as an esxi vm and it throws a graphics error of some description when you launch it.