Poll: Black suit, brown shoes.

Should the OP wear brown shoes with a black suit?

• Yes

Votes: 43 15.5%
  • No

Votes: 161 57.9%
  • Only if he doesn't want to get laid

Votes: 74 26.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
Zac Efron pulled it off dude
http://i.imgur.com/GhoIWyH.jpg

Matter of opinion, personally I think it looks wrong.

I don't think you can count brown shoes as not formal but I do think you have to match colours to look your best.

Black shoes with pretty much any colour suit.
Brown shoes really only light grey suit, though it can be pulled it off with a blue suit.

Associate
I think for every day smart, like work, you could get away with it, but not a special occasion like wedding. :)

Soldato
No worries mate :)

Fwiw, I'm 6'5" and wear size 12-13. Even that's a complete pita when buying shoes, so I feel for you there. Size 14.5 must be an absolute b**** to shop for.

EDIT:
I just remembered there's a shop just by Hampstead Heath overground station that pretty much only sell large size formal shoes. God knows what they charge, but I just thought I'd mention it seeing as you're in N. London :)

But hey, you could just rock the brown shoes and not give a **** about what anyone thinks?

Last edited:
Associate
Obviously no. You should never wear brown with a black suit. Further, brown shoes should not really be worn in the City/Town.

Soldato
What? Brown shoes are perfectly smart and suitable for formal occasions!

As long as you're wearing a brown belt though...

I wear a navy blue, and dark grey suit with brown shoes and it looks good. A black suit, I'd agree probably not, but it's not impossible if you do it right.

A brown suit is perfectly acceptable for luncheon. A brown suit is never acceptable for a formal occasion.

Man of Honour
I neither know nor care what's considered fashionable or formal - I wear clothes to protect me from the elements and/or being arrested - but even I'd avoid brown shoes with a black suit if I had a viable choice. It's a jarring mismatch.

But if you're going to do it, you'll have to convince yourself that it's fine. You can dress in a potato sack and flip-flops if you have enough confidence to project the impression that whatever you wear is appropriate because you're wearing it.

Back
Top Bottom