• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Mixed Crossfire and AMD's Catalyst 13.8

Soldato
Many gamers upgrade their systems over time, and one of the most cost-effective ways to add performance to an existing rig is to add a second video card. AMD's Crossfire technology allows users not only to add a second identical card, but to add any card within the same series.

But what type of performance increase can one expect from such a mixed Crossfire, or "FrankenFire" arrangement? And what are the effects of AMD's new frame-pacing driver on such mixed Crossfire setups? We aim to find out!
http://techbuyersguru.com/Frankenfire.php

Caporegime

Unfortunately they used the beta 2 version of 13.8 with the PCI-E bug and as they didn't disable ULPS one of the lanes would have been running at PCI-E x1 for the entire test of 13.8. :D :o

I'ad actually like to see a website review the 13.10 driver as games like Tomb Raider and Hitman received noticeable frame time improvements with this driver according to the release notes.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Unfortunately they used the beta 2 version of 13.8 with the PCI-E bug and as they didn't disable ULPS one of the lanes would have been running at PCI-E x1 for the entire test of 13.8. :D :o

I'ad actually like to see a website review the 13.10 driver as games like Tomb Raider and Hitman received noticeable frame time improvements with this driver.

Yes but still interesting and backs up what i already knew that while the slower card will hold back the faster card it would still be faster than 2 of the slower card as some people assume that the faster card will act just like the slower card.

Soldato
Yes but still interesting and backs up what i already knew that while the slower card will hold back the faster card it would still be faster than 2 of the slower card as some people assume that the faster card will act just like the slower card.

people are stuck in the old way of things working

Soldato
Mmmm. interesting read, wished they'd tried the 7870xt (Tahiti)card with a 7950, have thought about trying that but then the cheaper 7950's arrived. Bit of work still to do for Amd then, pity the 13.10beta wasn't available. :)

Soldato
Mmm.....thinking of chucking a 7970 in with my WF7950 for xfire, cant make my mind up between the Msi TFIII and the GBWFX3 7970 currently in the clearance section both at £239.99 or should I just get a 7950. At least the 'b' grade GBWFX3 7970 would look the same as my 7950. What do you think guys? Oh and I don't see any point in waiting for the new cards as: 1. I think the 9970\50 or R2.....whatever, will be too pricey and not that much better than the current series and
2. xfire 7950\70 will easily beat the new single cards. So I reckon I have little choice.
Help...........me. :confused:

Soldato
Mmm.....thinking of chucking a 7970 in with my WF7950 for xfire, cant make my mind up between the Msi TFIII and the GBWFX3 7970 currently in the clearance section both at £239.99 or should I just get a 7950. At least the 'b' grade GBWFX3 7970 would look the same as my 7950. What do you think guys? Oh and I don't see any point in waiting for the new cards as: 1. I think the 9970\50 or R2.....whatever, will be too pricey and not that much better than the current series and
2. xfire 7950\70 will easily beat the new single cards. So I reckon I have little choice.
Help...........me. :confused:

I'm not 100% sure but I would have thought a stock 2500K would bottleneck 2x 7950's / 7970's quite badly?

Soldato
Maybe, but I don't recall anyone doing actual testing of different cards, quite useful I think especially for those with poor memories. ;)
i've had about 2 mix crossfire set ups

1 setup was 2600 pro + 2600 xt

other setup was 6950/unlocked + 6990, which i've posted benchmarks in the past.

Soldato
Maybe, but I don't recall anyone doing actual testing of different cards, quite useful I think especially for those with poor memories. ;)

I did, problem being I put the info into someone elses thread and I don't know where.:(

I used 7970/50 CrossFire before the 7970 died, then I just replaced it with a 7950, reason being even with matched clocks, the 7970 uses ~9% less core usage unless it's a synthetic BM where both would run@99%.

The only way to match core usage is to bump clocks to say 1100MHz/7950 and 1000MHz/7970.

There wasn't anything wrong as such on the 1100/1000 clocks, but 2 7950@1000MHz isn't going to show up any difference in actual gameplay and I spent more time trying to match core usage than actually playing games tbph-maybe that's just a tommy thing.:o

I would go for a 7950 Ice-Q and mate it up with your WF, save £50 and get the free games, also the Ice-Q is better suited to CrossFire anyway due to the rear venting cooler.

Soldato
Thanks for the above tommy, unfortunately although I know the IceQ is highly rated I just don't like it, its butt ugly. Been looking for another GBWFX3 7950 for ages, at a decent price, unfortunately Ocuk don't seem to stock them anymore so I'm having to look elsewhere, however it seems to be the only 7950 that's not been reduced anywhere, which is why I've started looking at the GBWFX3 7970 here which would at least be a kind of match. :D

Associate
Thanks for the above tommy, unfortunately although I know the IceQ is highly rated I just don't like it, its butt ugly. Been looking for another GBWFX3 7950 for ages, at a decent price, unfortunately Ocuk don't seem to stock them anymore so I'm having to look elsewhere, however it seems to be the only 7950 that's not been reduced anywhere, which is why I've started looking at the GBWFX3 7970 here which would at least be a kind of match. :D

I'd been considering a WF7950 to go with my WF7970, and you are right about there not being many good deals on them. Best I could find it for in stock was just shy of £228, which is a fair bit more than the IceQ (ugly or not).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom