• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why is AMD quiet about black screens on 290x?

Soldato
It was a simple acknowledgment to mmj that common problems don't need loads of different duplicate threads discussing the same problems, is it tin foil hat or what today?

I use both Amd/Nvidia in a day to day basis rusty.

Deleted member 76686

D

Deleted member 76686

How about we have a show of hands from people with Hawaiis NOT having black screens?

I've not and most people won't, at the moment it only seems to be affecting those pushing beyond the standard specs so I doubt a fix will exactly be rushed out for that.

Soldato
It was a simple acknowledgment to mmj that common problems don't need loads of different duplicate threads discussing the same problems, is it tin foil hat or what today?

I use both Amd/Nvidia in a day to day basis rusty.

I don't care what you use lol that's not my point. My point was what does a nVidia driver issue have to do with this thread? Not a lot really. Driver issues exist, they get fixed or they don't. :)

The thing is what you have said in my quote above is fine. I have no issue with that at all and although it would be good to keep information together this thread is a bit convoluted with Ranger shouting at people so I think in this case a separate thread would be better. Doesn't matter though. All of which just has nothing to do with nVidia. :) that's my point.

My concern being somebody reads your post the same way I have and it turns into another brand handbag swinging fest between the usual suspects. Obviously you don't fall into that category...

Edit: sorry not having a go, just I'm on a crusade to purge this place of brand level arguing (i.e. arguing along AMD/nVidia lines only) as it would be a great forum without it. I feel it may be a pointless exercise. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
+1,

Black screen has been discussed at length in the 290/X threads, from what I gather its mostly unstable oc's or/and vram related with elpida chips, hopefully there will be a fix put in place soon for those affected.

I wonder if Elpida chips are at fault, will be interesting to see if the black screen gremlins appear on the non reference 290/X cards, presuming they use a different brand of memory.

If it is the Elpida chips at fault, will amd replace the faulty cards & decide to take Elpida to court to recoup the loses?

Thank goodness I decided to wait for the non reference 290X to come out before buying one.

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers for letting AMD know, LtMatt.

I think we would all be happy with nothing more than information, even if a fix is a few weeks out. It would stop us all needlessly RMAing cards, clogged up your engineers time for testing, and money spent on postage etc.

Associate
I have linked this thread in other threads, and asked people with the issue to post their GPUZ logs and other info in the format we have a few pages back.

If AMD are going to check this thread, can I please implore that people with a preference for a certain vendor keep discussions regarding this out of this thread, so we can keep the discussions on point, civil and directed toward finding a resolution for the people who have spent lots of money on hardware that does not work (for whatever reason).

Soldato
Ugh I knew these Elpida chips would be rubbish, although Gibbo said it was fine in his tests so I was relieved until this black screen business.

Associate
Didn't Gibbo say that Sapphire was Hynix, anyway? That's why i asked for Sapphire in the first place.

I am 100% sure it was an honest mistake, and Gibbo did a lot for the community during the launch, and not many people would have gone to the trouble of checking.

Probably better not dwell on what ifs and just try to push forward to a resolution.

Anwyay, i definitely have Elpida. I do wonder if this is a red herring, and it's just the overwhelming majority of cards have Elpida and not Hynix, rather than Elpida being duff.

Associate
Is it not also possible that there are more elpida memory cards out than he hynix variant? There are reports of black screens on hynix granted not to the level of the elpida ones but without knowing how many of each type are in peoples hands its hard to guage fairly.

Gibbo said that they all use a mix of hynix elpida including sapphire.
My sapphire is elpida, the black screen seems to only come when the memory is oc'ed for me but it can go a full day over clocked and not do it.

I only see traditional memory over clock issues like lines and artefacts when I go to 1500 memory. Black screen will randomly happen at 1255 or 1450. I have 1 incidence when it black screened in heaven 3.0 at stock.

Last edited:
Associate
Someone on overclock.net 290x thread found something interesting.

They said if they ever went above 1450mhz on the memory, the windows desktop would flicker badly with any sort of 2d activity. But when they added +100mv to the core voltage, they were able to take the memory over 1600 MHz or something.

I believe a second person said he had crashes if he overclocked the memory but increasing the core voltage allowed him to push the memory higher.

If the GPU voltage is somehow tied to the memory or the memory controller, then maybe there's some sort of hardware fault somewhere.

The ONLY way to know if a certain card has a true hardware fault or if its a BIOS/video bios or driver issue, is to swap a different card in and retest.

Caporegime
Didn't Gibbo say that Sapphire was Hynix, anyway? That's why i asked for Sapphire in the first place.

I am 100% sure it was an honest mistake, and Gibbo did a lot for the community during the launch, and not many people would have gone to the trouble of checking.

Probably better not dwell on what ifs and just try to push forward to a resolution.

Anwyay, i definitely have Elpida. I do wonder if this is a red herring, and it's just the overwhelming majority of cards have Elpida and not Hynix, rather than Elpida being duff.

Is it not also possible that there are more elpida memory cards out than he hynix variant? There are reports of black screens on hynix granted not to the level of the elpida ones but without knowing how many of each type are in peoples hands its hard to guage fairly.

Gibbo said that they all use a mix of hynix elpida including sapphire.
My sapphire is elpida, the black screen seems to only come when the memory is oc'ed for me but it can go a full day over clocked and not do it.

I only see traditional memory over clock issues like lines and artefacts when I go to 1500 memory. Black screen will randomly happen at 1255 or 1450. I have 1 incidence when it black screened in heaven 3.0 at stock.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1441349/290-290x-black-screen-poll

Not a single person voted for Hynix, every single one voted Elpida.

Associate
I just want to reiterate again, that the vast majority of people that i have interacted with are having these crashes AT STOCK. There are people who have crashes on mild overclocks too, which i agree is bad, and may be a symptom of the same problem, but for anyone reading this thread - black screens happen to people who have done nothing but plug their new 290x into a previously stable rig.

Mobster
Soldato
OP
I realize i had a bad attitude yesterday, and id love it if anyone could forward an apology (Sorry to everyone else aswell!) to Gregster. Thank you all for your help and suggestions :)

Associate
http://www.overclock.net/t/1441349/290-290x-black-screen-poll

Not a single person voted for Hynix, every single one voted Elpida.

And yet on other forums hardocp been one people with hynix have reported it, I haven't polled on over clock, it doesn't represent everyone just those registered there.

Without doubt more people with elpida seem to be getting the black screen but as I've said unless you know how many cards have elpida to how many have hynix its entirely possible their are more elpida cards in users hands which makes it harder to isolate the issue to the brand of ram.

The sooner AMD comment on this the better for them and hopefully us the paying customers.

Mobster
Soldato
OP
Hey everyone, though I'd sign up to post about my problems too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAQoiblBJwE

Video of one of the black screen crashes, and the 2 frames before the crash

sWJbQPm.jpg

LJaQjRI.jpg

I get these crashes in other games and benches too, I'm currently trying to get a refund as I'm quite fed up with the card tbh.

I hope this helps anyways.

get refund and buy a 780 ti. (I bet that was your plan)

Back
Top Bottom