Having large FPS drops on most games

Associate
I have recently been acquiring help related to my GPU and PC on another forum here, and have had no luck in fixing my FPS drops or improving benchmarks. If you don't want to read that here is it in short:

I recently bought a new GPU (EVGA 780 Classified ACX) and when benchmarked it gets roughly the same score as my old 660 ti. I have also been experiencing FPS drops on most games, BF4 (Any settings) and Metro Last light especially. I will be getting a normal FPS (50-80 Max Settings, Metro & BF4, other games higher, e.g. Natural Selection 2: 120FPS) and every few minutes my FPS will drop to between 20-30 and it is very noticeable. At first I thought this was a problem with my GPU but after getting a replacement the problem persists. I am thinking it may have something to do with my CPU/CPU cooler or maybe my RAM.

I would really appreciate any help with this as I have had no luck so far on the other forum.

Full Spec:

• AMD FX-6200 Six Core CPU (3.80GHz/6MB CACHE/AM3+)
  • ASUS® M5A78L-M/USB3 (M-ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, 3Gb/s)
  • EVGA GTX 780 Classified ACX (Dual BIOS) 3GB
  • 8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
  • 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
  • 600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU (FSP Group) + 120mm Case Fan
  • Corsair H40 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Last edited:
Soldato
Point 1.
I assume you have only one 780, shows two in listing.

Point 2.
Suspect possible power issues with having quad rail 600W PSU. What max. wattage can it put out at 12V?. Can it share across the rails?

Point 2.
Possible overheating on H40 cooler, have you monitored temps? Or VRM overheating on motherboard?

Have you tried more better cooling. One 120mm case fan soumds a bit light.

Associate
OP
Check the CPU speed during gaming and see if its throttling.

Don't think so, CPU speed seems normal when playing BF4.

Point 1.
I assume you have only one 780, shows two in listing.

Point 2.
Suspect possible power issues with having quad rail 600W PSU. What max. wattage can it put out at 12V?. Can it share across the rails?

Point 2.
Possible overheating on H40 cooler, have you monitored temps? Or VRM overheating on motherboard?

Have you tried more better cooling. One 120mm case fan soumds a bit light.

1. Yes, that was my mistake.
2. I don't know this
3. Temps seem normal when playing BF4 Ultra, CPU around 50-60 and GPU 40-50 Celsius.

I noticed that when monitoring on 'Test Range' on BF4 (Local Server) My FPS was much higher and I had no problems (50-120) but when in an online game I had 25-70 FPS, could there be some network issue causing it?

This wouldn't explain FPS drops on games such as Metro however.

Soldato
It will very likely be the motherboard VRMs throttling. I hadn't noticed the H40 cooler with my first comment, but that's not going to help the situation - a traditional air cooler will move air over the VRMs; an AIO water cooler won't, since the fans are located elsewhere.

Try placing a fan blowing over the VRMs and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom