Windows 8.1 Update KB 3000850 - 725Mb?

Soldato
Hi there,

Had this notification this morning of an 'optional update' - kb3000850. It's 725Mb in size. A quick Google Search reveals various opinions on it - It's a 'November 2014 Rollup' and some are observing that apart from taking ages to d/l and install (apparently it pauses for a good while once it gets to 4% to do things in the background then resumes after what seems like an age) some folk are also saying it can in some instances, cripple system performance. When an update of this size appears I always Google it to see what others are saying about it so naturally I'm now not sure whether to install this update at all.

If it is a 'November 2014 Rollup' containing all previous fixes and updates, do I need to install it at all? I keep my PC updated as soon as Windows notifies me of them so if I've already applied all the fixes contained within the 'November 2014 Rollup' then do I need to download and install it?

Permabanned
I got a smaller update earlier and then the bigger one so assume both are related.

You can get info directly from the update in your GUI linking to MS site.

Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3011780)

Installation date: ‎18/‎11/‎2014 22:25

Installation status: Succeeded

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3011780

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

Followed by

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3000850)

Installation date: ‎19/‎11/‎2014 08:44

Installation status: Succeeded

Update type: Optional

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3000850

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

Soldato
OP
Thanks chaps. So what is this update, exactly? I still can't get the Microsoft page to load for further info. As I already said, if its just a roll up of previously released updates then why do I need to install it if I've already updated Windows every time a new update has been highlighted to me when checking for updates?

Permabanned
Its not previous update as if it was systems like mines right up to date would not see it.

You really need to get that MS KB page to load if you want full details.

Copy/paste the URL into google and see if you get a result then select CACHED version (not sure if that will even work).

I can get it to load sometimes but it takes up to 5mins.

Soldato
Took less than 20 minutes to install on my desktops, but 2 hours on my netbook. :eek: All have SSD drives.

After rebooting, when Windows Update prompts you to, I did find that Windows was doing stuff in the background for less than 5 minutes.

Permabanned
It added 5% to my 128GB SSD, got space back running Extended Disc Cleanup.

Yea it was a very slow DL for me and install was not as fast as I thought, probably major compression.

Permabanned
105blfb.jpg

2ith3ma.jpg

Soldato
I wonder if they'll release a new ISO with the update already pre-installed? I hope so, or I can look forward to a hefty download when I reinstall Windows. :(

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the screenies. Finally got the page to load so I've downloaded the standalone installer for this from that page.

Sooooo.......anyone noticed these system performance slowdowns that some folk are reporting after installing this? Or is that just codswallopy nonsense? :p

Soldato
Don't worry about the slow downs, I think it's just Windows cleaning up after itself or finishing off housekeeping tasks related to the update. But for me, this didn't last very long at all.

Soldato
It's kinda odd that "important" updates are listed as optional. I assume it only happens when they are large updates but, come on, if it's important then make it automatic. It happens in the background anyway.

Back
Top Bottom