The official Dell U3415W (curved 34") thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
We managed to literally get a handful out of DELL after screaming at them. 5 units though, I've over 100, makes no sense. The LG and Samsung I can get so easily and I can buy 100's of those and have them here next day.

Odd, does is say on the box which revision version they are?

Associate
Just received my Dell from another retailer yesterday. Backlight bleed city. Will likely be returning :(

Not fun after having waited over a month since I first ordered it. I'm wondering if Dell sent out refurbs they had returned to them from the original batch.

Associate
Just received my Dell from another retailer yesterday. Backlight bleed city. Will likely be returning :(

Not fun after having waited over a month since I first ordered it. I'm wondering if Dell sent out refurbs they had returned to them from the original batch.

I am happy I choice Samsung no issues

Associate
I got an update from the supplier I ordered mine from the other day and they have told me they'll have stock at the beginning of March, so perhaps supply is starting to gradually roll out?

Interesting about the revision number though, especially if it fixes the bleed and glow

Associate
Rev: A00 U3415Wb
Manufacturing date: Nov 2014
An okay example, not perfect :( It should be for the price, I blame myself for being an early tech adopter.

Apologies for the really crap camera.

Apple 20 left, Dell U3415W right, in standard night time desk lighting.
Calibrated 110cd/m3, gamma 2.2, 6500k, sRGB. (Slightly less bright than standard 120, I prefer my room dimly lit)
16625130271_50d895b5cd_h.jpg

Standard Windows black screen in normal lighting that I see.
The BLB is slightly noticeable top left and top right.
Not noticeable in photoshop/quark as the menu bar is there.
Noticeable in Elite if no cockpit element there (game mode), noticeable in dark movies like Interstellar (multimedia mode).
16625129831_fb7fa02cee_h.jpg

Standard Windows black screen in a dark room, bleed is obvious as well as uneven IPS glow.
16004063644_1066c30c67_h.jpg

I wouldn't use this in a professional environment, but for home use it's acceptable - thus I haven't DSR'd it. The results are much better, once calibrated and the default back LED brightness turned down.

My current games DayZ/SWTor look lovely with the 21:9 FOV. DayZ at a natural 125 deg is immersive, and a not so unnatural 150 deg, great for awareness.

In a years time, once Freesync/Gsync sorts itself out, I'll get another 21:9 replacement, that will have the updated BLB/glow issues sorted.

Whats more annoying is hitting the 3.5GB vram crap in a modded (about 4GB of mods) Skyrim on my 970. That wasn't happening on my old 1920x1200. As well as a single 970 isn't enough fps for 3440x1440, I was debating on SLI, unfortunately 3.5 ramgate is an issue. I might try a 390x, if they are a generational leap above the 980.

Associate
Compared to mine which is just the settings out of the box that is prefect!

In the middle of trying to get mine swapped with a REV 01 but I doubt that will happen. Dell seem very strict with BLB issues.

If it doesn't happen than I will just leave it. I am sure I will swap out my monitor again in another 1/2 years anyway and to be honest when I am not watching something full screen I don't notice it.

Associate
I wouldn't use this in a professional environment, but for home use it's acceptable
I'd say it's the other way around. In a professional environment you'd have it in a room with controlled lighting, whereas only in a home environment would you be using in dim/dark conditions.

Associate
Compared to mine which is just the settings out of the box

The default settings were way to bright for me, and are only of any use to anyone in a high noon sunlight room. Mine was pre-calibrated at 75 brightness, 75 contrast in Standard preset.

I turned off dynamic contrast + uniformity compensation, dropped the brightness to 20 and compensated the contrast glare down to contrast 70 (66 would have worked as well), modified the dell driver icm profile for the colour shift. I also loaded the dell display manager and disabled all the automatic preset switching. (I kept multimedia mode for MPC player and game mode for a custom list of games)

The Ultra series are all high contrast monitors, the idea is to drop(lower) the backlight and use the contrast setting to control the brightness. Even a freeware s/w calibrator like quickgamma and your eyeball will net good results.

Associate
Won't lowering the brightness affect the white levels?

I'm struggling to get good results with mine without using a hardware calibrator. I've tried lowering the brightness but white wasn't pure bright white anymore, although it did fix most of the bleed.

Soldato
We managed to literally get a handful out of DELL after screaming at them. 5 units though, I've over 100, makes no sense. The LG and Samsung I can get so easily and I can buy 100's of those and have them here next day.

There were massive stock issues with this product, what happened? Now Dell is dumping them on you and you selling at £650 :confused:, are they getting rid of the Revision A00 stock before A01 is released?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-081-DE

Associate
Won't lowering the brightness affect the white levels?
Yes, that's the purpose of the Brightness control.
Lowering the Brightness setting varies the backlight illumination level. The maximum white level will reduce, but the Contrast ratio across the entire range will remain constant. The Contrast setting will vary the black level.
This is confusing if you're used to CRT settings, which are the direct opposite to LCD settings (on a CRT, Brightness will clip blacks by varying the black level and Contrast will change the white level).

There were massive stock issues with this product, what happened? Now Dell is dumping them on you and you selling at £650 :confused:, are they getting rid of the Revision A00 stock before A01 is released?
According to Gibbo in the deal thread, they're A01 revision. Presumably the big EMEA delay was due to shoving all the A00 rev monitors out of the channel into the US and ASIAPAC, and waiting for a stock of A01 to build up.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the info. I like it bright though, I turned the brightness to 20 like you have it and it looks awful, I have my brightness at 95 :)

£650, where? I see the price is £799.99

Associate
Finally got Dell to send me a replacement monitor due to my BLB and according to the tech support women it should be with me today. But overall not been that impressed with Dell's Customer service. Just lacks that bit of clarity when it comes to information.

I will hopefully get an A01 Rev mointor because it's coming from Dell I would say there is a good chance!

OcUK Staff
I'm totally ****ed at OC, two days ago they were £650 on there website, now there £799. Gibbo you know why. And I won't type it here.

A deal clearly advertised as pre-order ONLY, snooze you lose.

The product is now on offer at a competitive price compared to others. £650 was a 24hr-48hr pre-order only and upon stock landing we extended the offer for 6hrs because we are nice like that. :)

Soldato
A deal clearly advertised as pre-order ONLY, snooze you lose.

The product is now on offer at a competitive price compared to others. £650 was a 24hr-48hr pre-order only and upon stock landing we extended the offer for 6hrs because we are nice like that. :)

Really? I checked it at like 10am or so and it was gone.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom