My Game Development Project

Caporegime
I have no direction or intent with this development, this is purely a hobby as well as a learning exercise for me.

Its been ongoing on and off in my spare time for about a year.

Built on Cryengine 3 EaaS, currently 3.6.17

It is mainly a world of varying scenery, i am also using it to experiment with Bullet Physics, some of which i have already done and will be uploaded to this soon.

I will be continuing to update this as the project progresses.

Please feel free to post comments, constructive criticisms and advice.

So i will start with a few screen shots. :)

Alpha 2.1 Download here

Alpha 2 Download here

Physics part 1, Particle collisions here.

Working on, incomplete. Part 1 here.

Working on, incomplete. Part 2 here.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looks like fun.

RE first screenshot - one thing that makes a big difference graphically to level design (especially indoors stuff) is "trim" the transition from the walls to ceiling and stairs to walls sticks out as its so abrupt.

(For a scene like that I'd have probably gone with a slight weathering decal aligned with the top of the wall)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not the greatest example but heres one from something I was doing:

shot0035c4.jpg

With the weathering at the top to mask the transition (obviously grubby isn't suited to every scene).

Caporegime
OP
Not the greatest example but heres one from something I was doing:

shot0035c4.jpg

With the weathering at the top to mask the transition (obviously grubby isn't suited to every scene).

Yeah, it softens it, it looks pretty good.

I have a similar problem with another interior elsewhere in the map, its a clean domestic living interior, i have no shame in admitting that i'm struggling to make it look real, not like some cardboard cutout.

Aside from the brutal angles, adding texture bump-maps to the walls results in odd shading that doesn't look nice at all.

Cryengine also has a problem with light bleed, with and without GI the walls facing the sun bleed light around the edges from a distance and to some extent through the whole wall, and the shadow wall ends up an odd colour, Magnolia has a green tint.

I haven't looked to much into it yet, i have moved on to other things, i'm going back to it later.

Man of Honour
Modern interiors are tough - a lot comes down to getting exactly the right level of specular and bounced light, too much or too little ruins the illusion. The unreal 4 paris demo is a good source of examples of what works.

Caporegime
OP
Modern interiors are tough - a lot comes down to getting exactly the right level of specular and bounced light, too much or too little ruins the illusion. The unreal 4 paris demo is a good source of examples of what works.

Yeah i like that, have a look at this, this guys pretty good. if you look at his textures they are slightly smudgy, i think that might be how you get around the flat 2D look.

Its the same engine i'm using.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Physics part 1

Particle collisions.

Normally when you shoot at a surface the particles generated fall through the floor and pass through surrounding objects.

Basically this is because those particles don't know where they are in real time and they don't know what is in its surroundings.
Its basically an animation effect pasted over the environment.

You may have seen Particle Physics in games like Metro Last Light and Boarderlands 2, this is generated by Nvidia's CUDA GPU PhysX engine.

CryEngine 3 has a Bullet Physics Engine back end which can be used to create the same effect.

This is what i have done here.

I used CryEngines built-in effects libraries, i beefed them up a lot and made some collision modifications. I'm not going to go into much detail about air resistance and gravity reactions but you may notice those effects in some of this.

Stones and Leaves from a grass surface, also more generalised messing about.

------

Metal Sparks impact with the ground and then bounce or slide along it.

------

Shooting into the Tree Canopy generates leaves which then fall to the ground, those leaves collide with other vegetation before resting on the ground.

------

Shooting at a wooden surface, chips fall and collide with the ground and surfaces.

------

Not related, this is a very simplistic Blender ported example of Bullet Destruction Physics. more on that later :)

Last edited:
Soldato
looks like an interesting project, will you be making some form of online mode? You could get some forum members to test it. Also what tools are you using i.e for modelling? Or is this possible in the engine?

Caporegime
OP
looks like an interesting project, will you be making some form of online mode? You could get some forum members to test it. Also what tools are you using i.e for modelling? Or is this possible in the engine?

Like Multiplayer?

I would have to rent servers to make it MP Online Playable, who knows... maybe much later.

I'm using mainly Blender and some AutoDesk, the engine its self also has its own 3D designer tool, its similar to anyother 3D Creation software but actually in the Sandbox, which is very useful.

I could upload and share the work that i have done so far, and i might at some point, but there isn't much going on yet, all you can do at the moment is run around and shoot at stuff.

Caporegime
OP
Any nearer to a *nix build Bug ?

Sorry, i'll be honest, i'm having some difficulty getting it working on AMD in Linux (Yes it works fine on Nvidia) i don't know whats wrong, i'm not a software programmer and to be even more honest i have given up on it for now and switched my attention to Unreal Engine as that is now DX12 enabled.

I will be switching back to Cryengine soon tho as i'm about done playing with Unreal Engine.

I will ask for help on the CryTek Developers forum, believe me i am just as curious as you.....

Caporegime
OP
Its been a while since i have been in here, i'm going to resurrect this because CryTek have released a new engine and i want to get a good look at it, so i'm going to finish of a couple of things i'm working on and then publish what i have done so far.

I hope i can port over my existing work to the new engine.
With DX12 being inevitable i did hope CryTek would just update the existing engine, but it seems like they have practically rebuilt the whole thing.
After a lot of fiddling about i did manage to get the existing project to work in the new engine but its missing a lot of components, i'm not sure that i will get the project running as it should, time will tell.

Anyway, now that its said i had better get on and actually get it to a state i can publish it in.

Pete, remember talking about the delight of figuring out the simple things, like getting doors to open?

Well, here are some 'work in progress' doors :)

Back
Top Bottom