• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTAV performance thread.

Associate
Rig in Sig.

Been running almost everything at maximum. FXAA on MSAAx2, with DSR at 1.5 and get around 60 fps. If it take the DSR out of the equation I'm getting 72 fps pretty constantly, with g-sync taking care of the dips as the happen.

The scale and quality of the graphics is amazing.

Soldato
i have a nooby question, could anyone tell me how to access that advanced graphics options, where i have all the individual settings for textures etc...in the 2 tabs i have very few options, theres a little arrow thing at the bottom of one menu but it doesnt seem to do anything.

ta

edit: found it, gotta click ignore limits button.

Last edited:
Soldato
Swearing in video, please be careful what you link to. Thank you.

Here is the old 980M SLI laptop playing it at 1440p ultra and tweaked clocks.

Associate
Can't you just force it on through nv control panel or won't the game let you

Sadly not, the option entirely disappears from both the global settings and the game specific profile pages in the NV control panel once SLI is turned on.

nVidia themselves have commented that MFAA support in SLI may be added in a future driver. It's a shame rather than a disaster, given the choice the benefit from the second card is a worthwhile trade off.

Soldato
I maxed out all the settings i could find, im running FXaa and SMaa and a few other things through sweetfx and im still getting around 100 fps, i figure ive got around 30 to play with yet since ill be running at 60 vsync.

Im thinking of trying MasterEffect since i think ya can add extreme DoF, and i do like the look of that. Anyone else found summat nice to use up a few more spare fps?.

Soldato
Been running absolutly silky smooth up until now.. I have started getting stuttering where the frames drop momentarily from from 75. The issue increases until the game is unplayable and I have to restart

I had this last night for the first time, can only assume it was the new patch broke something :(

Soldato
Hi, i have the following

AMD 8350 @ 4.4ghz
MSI 290 Gaming OC @ gpu 1030mhz and 1300mhz memory
8GB DDR3 1866MHZ

using a 1080p monitor

i think i got the balance now i set everything to high with 2x msaa with it off or just fxaa it seems to be exact same, i do get stutters but not as much now,

its around 40fps - 60fps, i can tell when it drops to 40fps its not as smooth, guess an intel I7 would sort this, but with skylake around the corner best to hold out now,

also my monitor in windows is set to 60hz, but in game settings i only get option for 59hz, will that effect smoothness ?

benchmark

Frames Per Second (Higher is better)
Min, Max, Avg
Pass 0, 34.428883, 59.927757, 51.811150
Pass 1, 38.017479, 71.919212, 55.338371
Pass 2, 38.864059, 62.194546, 51.732357
Pass 3, 37.951172, 61.085693, 57.941978
Pass 4, 22.546646, 74.812714, 55.005680

Associate
Sadly not, the option entirely disappears from both the global settings and the game specific profile pages in the NV control panel once SLI is turned on.

nVidia themselves have commented that MFAA support in SLI may be added in a future driver. It's a shame rather than a disaster, given the choice the benefit from the second card is a worthwhile trade off.

I hadn't noticed that in the NV control panel. Well at least NVIDIA are going to sort it out but yeah it should be working now

Associate
Game runs pretty amazing for me 970 at 1519/3805 and 4670k at 4.4

FXAA: Off
MSAA: 2x(Mfaa enabled so 4x)
TXAA: off
Sliders: maxed
Texture: V High
Shader: V High
Shadow: V High
Reflection Quality: V High
Reflection MSAA: Off
Water: V High
Particles: V High
Grass: very High
Soft Shadows: softest
Post FX: Ultra
Motion Blur: none
DoF: On (Helps with alaising in city imo)
AF: 16x
AO: High
Tessellation: Very high
Long Shadows: On
High Res Shadows: Off
High Detail Streaming while flying: off
Extended Distance Scaling: 60%
Extended Shadows Distance: 0%

Hold 60fps in the city 99% of the time,out in the countryside lowest it gets is low 50's,very high grass is massive performance hit tho.

Soldato
I knew I shouldn't have listened to people saying this game had no problems with SLI :mad:

After testing today, using any amount of MSAA, even only x2 results in awful microstutter and judder.

If I use just FXAA it's often smooth as silk.

Brief specs:

i7 2660k at 4.5ghz
780Ti SLI, latest drivers specifically for GTA
Rog Swift monitor, Gsync running

With the settings I'm using, VRAM usage is not going over 2.5GB, so it's nothing to do with that. I'm running at 100hz to try and keep the framerate more consistent, but have tried at 120Hz too. Still stutter with MSAA.

Yet another game that doesn't run properly smooth when using SLI. I'll test on one card now just to be sure. Sigh.

EDIT - Yep, tested on one card with 2x MSAA - and no stutter. Took a hit in framerate obviously only using one 780Ti (down to about 55-60fps in the spot I was testing outside Franklins house at start of game, but Gsync does a good job of keeping it smooth.

Think I'm going to have to go back to getting a Titan X again!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I knew I shouldn't have listened to people saying this game had no problems with SLI :mad:

After testing today, using any amount of MSAA, even only x2 results in awful microstutter and judder.

If I use just FXAA it's often smooth as silk.

Brief specs:

i7 2660k at 4.5ghz
780Ti SLI, latest drivers specifically for GTA
Rog Swift monitor, Gsync running

With the settings I'm using, VRAM usage is not going over 2.5GB, so it's nothing to do with that. I'm running at 100hz to try and keep the framerate more consistent, but have tried at 120Hz too. Still stutter with MSAA.

Yet another game that doesn't run properly smooth when using SLI. I'll test on one card now just to be sure. Sigh.

I don't think the VRAM indicator in GTAV is even remotely accurate. I have the game maxed out on SLI and it's telling me for 4k I am using 5700mb which if you cut that in half that's less than 3gb a card. That, I think, is how it works in SLI. That's absolute max settings, 4k with 2XMSAA.

I think it's more just a complete guess tbh.

I will do some more testing later and post my findings. It was hard for me to set the game up because every time I changed something it would tell me it needed to restart and when it did none of the settings were staying put. Took me around five restarts to finally get it done.

Soldato
I don't think the VRAM indicator in GTAV is even remotely accurate. I have the game maxed out on SLI and it's telling me for 4k I am using 5700mb which if you cut that in half that's less than 3gb a card. That, I think, is how it works in SLI. That's absolute max settings, 4k with 2XMSAA.

I will do some more testing later and post my findings. It was hard for me to set the game up because every time I changed something it would tell me it needed to restart and when it did none of the settings were staying put. Took me around five restarts to finally get it done.

I can't make sense of the memory indicator in the graphics menu. But, I'm monitoring my actual cards stats on a second screen in a GPU widget like I always do. It never goes over 2.5GB VRAM with the settings I'm using and 2x MSAA, so it's defintely not a lack of VRAM issue.

All the games I have that have SLI issues, it's never anything to do with Vram. It's just yet another game with SLI problems. :mad::mad:

I can live without any MSAA I guess, but I find in game FXAA to be too blurry. I much prefer SMAA, so am going to try the latest SweetFX....watch this space....

Last edited:
Soldato

Could work out vram usage the same way as AB does-Nvidia reports individual usage, AMD combined?

Leave your current 5700mb settings as they are and disable SLi and see if vram remains@5700mb?

Soldato

Yeh its pants says that i should be using 3gb at 4k high settings no AA.

Getting 50fps minemums

Gpuz is reporting 3.7gb vram usage
Cpu at 65c
Gou at 55c

Soldato
does anyone CTD when using afterburner to record in game footage? As soon as I hit record, it boots me out of game. Also, I cant start the game with DXTory, just doesnt launch. Seems I'm having real issues with issues with recording.

Reason why I want to show some footage I have, I got this really annoying shadow issue around 20 feet from my character. I have like a texture line the draws the shadow in front of me, as I move, the shadow drawn receives a good amount of detail, but its like this moving drawing shadow in front of me in a line, its so annoying. It's only just started happening today and I cant figure out why its doing it. I've watched Gregs video as well, and he has it happen as well, so it's clearly not an AMD thing. It appears on walls, buildings, fences etc

Soldato
does anyone CTD when using afterburner to record in game footage? As soon as I hit record, it boots me out of game. Also, I cant start the game with DXTory, just doesnt launch. Seems I'm having real issues with issues with recording.

Reason why I want to show some footage I have, I got this really annoying shadow issue around 20 feet from my character. I have like a texture line the draws the shadow in front of me, as I move, the shadow drawn receives a good amount of detail, but its like this moving drawing shadow in front of me in a line, its so annoying. It's only just started happening today and I cant figure out why its doing it. I've watched Gregs video as well, and he has it happen as well, so it's clearly not an AMD thing. It appears on walls, buildings, fences etc

Apparantly if u have afterburner or fraps running it causes the err_d3d innt crash.

I uninstalled afterburner and my game was stable for 2 hours

Soldato
OP
Could work out vram usage the same way as AB does-Nvidia reports individual usage, AMD combined?

Leave your current 5700mb settings as they are and disable SLi and see if vram remains@5700mb?

Yeah will definitely do some more testing. Right now it's Chelcrap VS Man poo so once that's over I'll get it fired up :)

I can't make sense of the memory indicator in the graphics menu. But, I'm monitoring my actual cards stats on a second screen in a GPU widget like I always do. It never goes over 2.5GB VRAM with the settings I'm using and 2x MSAA, so it's defintely not a lack of VRAM issue.

All the games I have that have SLI issues, it's never anything to do with Vram. It's just yet another game with SLI problems. :mad::mad:

I can live without any MSAA I guess, but I find in game FXAA to be too blurry. I much prefer SMAA, so am going to try the latest SweetFX....watch this space....

It could be rig specific. Nvidia released a driver for Dying Light. I installed it and it immediately broke SLI completely. The entire screen was flashing and strobing really badly. I tried going back to the old driver but that didn't work so I just put the new one back on and then used NVInspector (I think it was called that) to force on a profile for another game. It worked a treat.

However other than that I've had no problems with this SLI set up since I fitted it last year. Have you tried changing your bridge ? what bridge are you using? it could be that at fault tbh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom