• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Phenom II X4 955e getting hot and shutting down

Associate
Hi guys.

I've done a search but nothings shows.

I bought a new system from Overclockers 6 years ago and its been working ok until a month or so ago. It will shut down with no warning.

System Spec:

Operating System
Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955 76 °C
Deneb 45nm Technology

RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-28)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA790XT-UD4P (Socket M2) 36 °C

Graphics
DELL IN2010N (1360x768@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (Gigabyte) 31 °C

I ran Speccy in startup to keep a check on temperatures, I also have HWMonitor which shows the same temperature.

Now when the CPU temperature gets to 80 °C it changes to a dark red. I've kept an eye on the temperature and it does creep up even though there is nothing running. Yesterday I saw it went to 117 °C.

I bought some CPU thermal compound not the Artic Silver. Over the weekend I de-dusted the unit and applied the thermal compound. On startup the CPU temperature is running exactly the same and it still shuts down.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

HWMonitor_zpswgfugizo.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you remove the old thermal compound before applying the new? if so, what did you use to remove it? How did you apply the new paste?

Are you using the stock cooler or aftermarket?

What's the airflow like in the case?

Soldato
as advice above, but also is your cpu at stock speeds? and is it a c2 or c3 stepping ? 1.520v volts is quite high especially if it's only 3.2 ghz.

What is the make of the cpu cooler?

Associate
Make sure to set optimised defaults in the bios and try the things other have said, althought im sure i see the cpu fan running in the hardware monitor so i think its just over volting 1.3 -1.35v is highest i see on my 955BE with stock cooler (its now my media pc)

Soldato
if it reading over 75c then the software is probably wrong as phemon are only suppose to go to around 65c, at 117c it would be very very dead. the board is a decent one tbh. set the voltage manually in the bios to 1.35v and work your way down in voltage at stock settings.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input.

I used isopropyl alcohol I bought a litre from Maplins. I Googled different method on applying this thermal compound there are loads of video's on YouTube. The size of a pea is recommended by Arctic Silver.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/PDF/appmeth/amd/md/amd_app_method_middle_dot_v1.3.pdf

YouTube test different application methods to see which is the best. The pea size blob covers it circular and misses the corners. I continue a line from the pea to the corners just to make sure.

There are 4 fans in my system, AMD CPU, fan on the power supply. 1 on top and 1 at the back. The top and back ones have a separate switched cable with 3 positions slow, medium and fast, they are both on fast.

Its a ULTIMA WARLORD computer so its go standard cooling I assume.

I don't recall seeing anything in the BIOS 4.60PGA for setting fan voltage, I will check the spec again.

Caporegime
62c is max safe.

with decent cooler they idle about 30c stock about 35c-40c (probably closer to 40c in this weather)

c2 i think was 1.35v stock.

also safe max voltage was 1.55v (i personally wouldnt go over 1.5v for regular use.) tbh in this weather 1.5v is going to be giving massive temps.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a Phenom II x6 1090t with a broken cpu fan and it doesn't turn off in games or reboot but then again theres probably molten lava in my case :D

Even with my Noctua NH-D14 my overclock has been crapping out due to overheating in this weather 1.512v have poor airflow in this case and have disabled the front two fans as one is making a clicking sound :p New case this year, maybe next I think.

Associate
Whats going on with the temp reporting on these chips?

I have one and it regularly hits 90 degrees without issue, but in the bios the reported temp at idle seems accurate..

Associate
OP
I forgot to mention in the first post I bought this system because the spec was good and it was chipped to 3.8Mhz. When I installed WinXP and it restarted it wouldn't startup. I when into the BIOS MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) and reduced the chipping to CPU Clock Ratio: [x17.5] I reduced this to [x15] 3000Mhz due to over heating. It now runs at 53°C.

Now this isn't a fix only temporary one I still need to find out why its still running hot.

I checked the BIOS settings and it shows:

PC Health Status

Vcore 1.344V
DDR3 1,5V 1.616V
+3.3V 3.376V
+12V 12.048V
Current System 53 °C
Current CPU Temperature 53 °C after BIOS set lower
Current CPU Fan Speed 2472 RPM
Current System FAN1 Speed 0 RPM
Current System FAN2 Speed 0 RPM
Current Power Fan Speed 0 RPM
CPU Warning Temperature [Disabled]
CPU Fan Fail Warning [Disabled]
SYSTEM FAN1 Fail Warning [Disabled]
SYSTEM FAN2 Fail Warning [Disabled]
POWER FAN Fail Warning [Disabled]

Any more suggestions guys?

Associate
Even with my Noctua NH-D14 my overclock has been crapping out due to overheating in this weather 1.512v have poor airflow in this case and have disabled the front two fans as one is making a clicking sound :p New case this year, maybe next I think.

I with you on the new parts. I decided rather than replacing the cpu fan I will just get myself a skylake cpu and mobo :D

Back
Top Bottom