• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

KFA2 980 Ti HOF Air Review 8Pack style!!!

OcUK Staff
KFA2 have been making world record breaking GPU for several generations now. There 780 Ti HOF was by far the fastest 780 Ti on the market dominating 3D mark score boards on the Bot and Future marks own site. Since this ground breaking product the 980 HOF and 980 HOF 8Pack version performed in the same vein with at one stage 980 HOF holding all world records on HWbot.

When I received my test ES 980 Ti HOF back at Computex I was very excited by the product. Great power delivery and efficiency enabling me to take 3D mark 11 WR and Heaven WR using Ln2 cooling. The product oozing quality I had no qualms in recommending it for enthusiasts of elite tier hardware.

When the production 980 Ti HOF came into stock I could not wait to try one and show the forums what its capable of. First of all we have the look of the product. The distinctive white PCB, robust 3 fan 2.5 slot cooling solution and substantial white back plate all not only perform great as I will show later but look truly awesome. End users considering this card should note only two card SLI is possible on stock cooler as its too wide to cram cards close together in TRI SLI or above. For three way SLI plus KFA2 have a card with retrofitted waterblocks which handle this config perfectly. This seems sensible on there behalf as often anything over two way is often overheating on any air cooling solutions.

Below are pics of the great looking card in my GPU test Rig.

The card I chose from stock was totally chosen at random. It had an ASIC quality for those interested of 75.5% with its stock boost speed being 1420mhz.

The testing methodology I used for the overclocking testing was Max out the power limit. Use only stock volts. Test with auto fan profiles. I did this so that I am sure most customers can reach the same mhz and beyond of my testing.

I also tried full speed fan cooler so I could see how fan speed effected load temps.

Review System specs:
5960X 4.875mhz
ASUS Rampage V Extreme
8Pack PSU
GSKILL mems 2666mhz
Windows 8.1
Nforce 353.06 WHQL driver

Below are my testing results.
Firestrike Xtreme

Firestrike

Firestrike Ultra 4K

Valley 1080p maxed out

Heaven 1080p maxed out

Heaven 4K maxed out

So as we can see from the scores my sample could run with stock volts and fan speed 1525-1530 Core and 2000-2050 mems through all the tests on its stock Air cooler. If you give it some voltage and crank the fans then I am sure it can go even higher. These results are very impressive in themselves with the limitations I imposed on testing to make sure repeatable is very possible by any end user.

The cooler on Auto performed very well with the card never going above 66C and most of the time hovering around 63-64C. This is very much up there with the best of the best in terms of cooling. To my ears its a touch quieter than say for example ASUS Strix which on Auto allows the card to get to higher temps at 0db but then the fan needs to spin faster to bring the load temps under control. The back plate is also getting warm so proving essential for removing heat from the PCB and doing its job well. The cooling design with the VRM heatsink being built into the main cooler also makes for efficient VRM heat removal and stops unnecessary heat soak into the PCB.

If you force the fan to full the GPU never got above 56C during my testing and was usually running at 54C load. These are truly great temps with the extra length of the heat pipes being used to full effect. Even at full fan speed the cooler is not crazy loud but is now certainly audible. For benching easy for the end user to live with though.

In conclusion I would recommend the KFA2 980 Ti HOF to any type of end user. For the gamer who does not OC its stock clock is very high and it is boosting at stock to 1420mhz. If you want to overclock its very easy to reach 1525+ mhz core with absolutely no effort at all and the memory is also able to pass 2000+mhz without issue. All this while remaining cool and quiet in performance. The cooler infact when forced to full fan was the coolest I have tested and the auto fan profile sees the card remain stable, cool and quiet.

Finally I think I should point out the looks. This is for me the best looking card available at the moment and its build quality is second to none. Especially if you have a white motherboard or a motherboard with any white on the heat sinks this should be your absolute first choice card. If you don't have this color scheme but want performance again you should be considering this great product. This KFA2 980 Ti HOF is truly living upto its Hall of Fame name in every way.

OcUK Staff
HI there

Great review and too celebrate 8 Packs review:

KFA2 GeForce GTX 980Ti "Hall of Fame 8 Pack Approved Edition" 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £539.99 inc VAT

GX-078-KF_400.jpg

Ti.KFA2 Hall of Fame edition cards are born from top quality components and exemplary innovation to achieve one sole objective—to break records. The KFA2 GTX 980 Ti HOF exemplifies this and sets the definitive standard as the world’s best GTX 980 Ti graphics card.

The true advantage of the KFA2 HOF series cards, however, lay in their completely unbridled potential for overclocking—and the GTX 980 Ti HOF delivers with advanced power systems, 7 heat-pipe triple fan cooling, and KFA2 Hyper Boost hardware overdrive technology. Dual BIOS allows for risk free updates and customization, and the HOF’s signature white PCB holds a commanding presence wherever hardcore gaming enthusiasts gather.

Features:
- VR Ready
- DirectX 12 Ready
- VR Ready
- 6144MB VRAM

Specification
- GeForce 980Ti
- GPU: GeForce 980Ti
- Core Base Clock: 1190MHz
- Core Boost Clock: 1291MHz
- Memory Clock: 7010MHz
- Memory Size: 6144MB GDDR5
- Bus Type: PCI Express 3.0
- Memory Bus: 384-bit
- CUDA Cores: 2816
- DirectX 12: Yes
- DVI Port: 1x Dual-Link DVI, 3x DisplayPort & 1x HDMI
- DisplayPort: Yes
- HDCP: Yes
- HDMI: Yes
- Power: 2x 8-Pin
- 600W PSU Required
- 250W TDP
- Warranty: 2yr

Was [£575.99] Inc. VAT

Only £539.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Price Reduction!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Soldato
I am considering requesting the same identical card in black/gunmetal, would this interest you guys who are not up for the white design?

Of course the white design is what has always made the HOF series unique. :)

Defo! as blacks more universal. You/HOF would definitely shift a lot more.

Gunmetal grey would also be a nice touch. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Any fan speed fluctuation in your sample?
Mine and many others can't keep a steady speed, making for an annoying experience...
Besides that, it does clock very well

OcUK Staff
Any fan speed fluctuation in your sample?
Mine and many others can't keep a steady speed, making for an annoying experience...
Besides that, it does clock very well

I experienced this with an AMP Extreme, almost like hitting power limit.

I fixed it by setting fans to around 66% speed which kept card very cool, very quiet and no annoying fluctuation.

So set power limit to maximum, voltage to stock and try set percentages on the fan, should fix it. :)

Associate
This is what happens with my HoF in Idle:

As you can see it's with the fan set @ 32%, which is the lowest setting. The fan jumps from 800rpm to 2k every ten seconds or so.
I'll try to connect the fans to the motherboard, to see if it's a fan controller issue.

Associate
Basically as good as the G1 or better, due to the more efficient cooler.
I would also say that it's quieter than G1, but the Fan speed fluctuation negates every good thing noise related (every sample has it, according to people on Overclock.net).

OcUK Staff
This is what happens with my HoF in Idle:

As you can see it's with the fan set @ 32%, which is the lowest setting. The fan jumps from 800rpm to 2k every ten seconds or so.
I'll try to connect the fans to the motherboard, to see if it's a fan controller issue.

Try setting fans manually to say 39%, 44%, 50%, 66% and see if it does it at those percentages, also make sure power limit is at maximum and voltage is at +0 :)

Associate
Pretty similar across all speeds :(
At 69% which is common during heavy loads, it has spikes over 4k rpm! Over 6k at 100%.

I've noticed the spikes are always double the speed of what it should be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom