** POTENTIALLY THE BEST GAMING MONITORS YET!! ** Acer 34" Ultra-wides

Soldato
I just spoke to an ACER chat rep, and he couldn't tell me if it will be fixed or not.

Ridiculous.

I reckon anyone you can speak to at Acer about this issue will be totally in the dark. Discussions about a fix and how to rectify the issue will be going so far up the food chain, you won't get anywhere near to speaking to the people who could actually give you useful info. Seems Badass may have connections with the right people, so I think the best chance of any reliable info as to what's going to happen here will come through him. It's staggering how clueless these 'reps' can be sometimes, often even clueless about products that we are better informed about.

Soldato
Want the Acer Gsync 34" UW, don't want price :(

It's certainly expensive, but if they can fix the banding issue, and you compare it to the insanely priced Asus PG348Q which is £250 more, the X34 seems like a bargain. They're near as dammit the same monitor FFS! Don't know what Asus are thinking there, definitely not worth that much more over the X34, which going by the TFT Central review seems a great all round performer (once they fix the banding).

Associate
I reckon anyone you can speak to at Acer about this issue will be totally in the dark. Discussions about a fix and how to rectify the issue will be going so far up the food chain, you won't get anywhere near to speaking to the people who could actually give you useful info. Seems Badass may have connections with the right people, so I think the best chance of any reliable info as to what's going to happen here will come through him. It's staggering how clueless these 'reps' can be sometimes, often even clueless about products that we are better informed about.

Yeah you're entirely right. I was just sitting at work bored and thought it might be worth a shot. I was more annoyed at his response, which was "we can tell you more once the monitor is released".

Well of course you bloody can! So can everyone else who will/won't be experiencing the issue.

Nevermind.

Hopefully Badass will have something for us. My monitor needs to go back to Germany, so I don't want to delay sending it back any longer.

Caporegime
It's certainly expensive, but if they can fix the banding issue, and you compare it to the insanely priced Asus PG348Q which is £250 more, the X34 seems like a bargain. They're near as dammit the same monitor FFS! Don't know what Asus are thinking there, definitely not worth that much more over the X34, which going by the TFT Central review seems a great all round performer (once they fix the banding).

Think I'm gonna get a s/h RoG Swift until the prices settle a bit. didn't realise the RoG had a portrait mode tbh, so that'll help with certain things :)

Man of Honour
I just spoke to an ACER chat rep, and he couldn't tell me if it will be fixed or not.

Ridiculous.

Well given the Acer product managers haven't confirmed yet what's happening it doesn't surprise me the support guys don't know yet. It was only initially discussed between Acer UK and Europe yesterday I believe. They know the importance of getting an update out asap and I'm sure they will call or email me the second they know :)

Associate
Being someone who hasn't ever 'pre-ordered' a product from Overclockers before I have a question. The ETA date on the X34 is 25/09/15... now does this mean you expect the stock to arrive at OC on that date or is that the date the consumer will receive the product?

thanks in advance...

Associate
Being someone who hasn't ever 'pre-ordered' a product from Overclockers before I have a question. The ETA date on the X34 is 25/09/15... now does this mean you expect the stock to arrive at OC on that date or is that the date the consumer will receive the product?

thanks in advance...

Arrival at OCer's I believe.

I have pre-ordered but that's really based on the fix being implemented first. Pointless getting it and then having to send it away for an update.

If it comes in on time and works, phew, makes me even more excited for Fallout 4.

Associate
If the RoG PG348Q was only £50 more than the ACER, would you wait another 3 months for the ASUS PG348Q

Nah, because I prefer the look of the ACER. Which is why I've preordered it, signed up for these forums and keep on watching here and TFTCentral with bated breath for any comment about the blue banding problem!

Associate
Nah, because I prefer the look of the ACER. Which is why I've preordered it, signed up for these forums and keep on watching here and TFTCentral with bated breath for any comment about the blue banding problem!

The only problem for me is the two year warranty, it is just so small for the price, I would expect at least a 3 year warranty, which the ASUS PG348Q has on it.

Man of Honour
Here's the official updated info from Acer for you

The early stock in Germany had a faulty firmware which introduced the banding issue already discussed. ALL stock which will be sold by official UK resellers, including Overclockers will feature a new updated firmware which fixes this issue. There is no danger if you buy the screen from an official UK channel that you will have the old firmware. So all pre- orders and stock coming soon at OcUK should all be fine :)

I'm waiting on confirmation on how updates will work for anyone who's bought it in Germany already. There's still a risk if you buy one from available stock out of Germany it could be the old firmware so be careful. For those affected there looks like there could well be a user update option as opposed to needing to send the screen back to Acer. Will confirm as soon as I know

Also waiting to hear about stock elsewhere in the world including the U.S.

I will be testing the new firmware mid next week as well and will update the TFTcentral review with findings.

Associate
Here's the official updated info from Acer for you

The early stock in Germany had a faulty firmware which introduced the banding issue already discussed. ALL stock which will be sold by official UK resellers, including Overclockers will feature a new updated firmware which fixes this issue. There is no danger if you buy the screen from an official UK channel that you will have the old firmware. So all pre- orders and stock coming soon at OcUK should all be fine :)

I'm waiting on confirmation on how updates will work for anyone who's bought it in Germany already. There's still a risk if you buy one from available stock out of Germany it could be the old firmware so be careful. For those affected there looks like there could well be a user update option as opposed to needing to send the screen back to Acer. Will confirm as soon as I know

Also waiting to hear about stock elsewhere in the world including the U.S.

I will be testing the new firmware mid next week as well and will update the TFTcentral review with findings.

Just a quick question, do you think the ASUS PG348Q will be worth the wait in your opinion

Associate
Thank you Badass!

I ended up sending mine back. If there's no user update option I could be looking at a lengthier wait than just sending it back plus this way I can deal with OCUK rather than Germany.

Anyway this is wonderful news and I'll be buying one most definitely!

Soldato
Just a quick question, do you think the ASUS PG348Q will be worth the wait in your opinion

Only if they lower the price! At £1200 it is most certainly NOT worth it. The design (if you prefer it, personally I think it's a bit odd), and the better warranty is worth an extra £50-100 tops. Not to mention release on this will be January at earliest, probably later knowing Asus.

Associate
Only if they lower the price! At £1200 it is most certainly NOT worth it. The design (if you prefer it, personally I think it's a bit odd), and the better warranty is worth an extra £50-100 tops. Not to mention release on this will be January at earliest, probably later knowing Asus.

So lets say the price would be £1049 for it, would you wait till January for the monitor or just buy the ACER Predator X34 when it comes out

Soldato
So lets say the price would be £1049 for it, would you wait till January for the monitor or just buy the ACER Predator X34 when it comes out

It needs to be £999, tops. Huge psychological barrier to get in to 4 figures for a monitor. Asus aren't a premium brand, as much as they may like to think otherwise, and their 'premium' monitor track record is nothing special at all. They simply haven't earned the right to charge that much IMO. It's the same monitor as the X34, it doesn't deserve a £100 bump, especially arriving to the party so late.

Associate
It needs to be £999, tops. Huge psychological barrier to get in to 4 figures for a monitor. Asus aren't a premium brand, as much as they may like to think otherwise, and their 'premium' monitor track record is nothing special at all. They simply haven't earned the right to charge that much IMO. It's the same monitor as the X34, it doesn't deserve a £100 bump, especially arriving to the party so late.

So are you going to get the ACER Predator X34 when it comes out, if the blue banding issue gets fixed

Soldato
So are you going to get the ACER Predator X34 when it comes out, if the blue banding issue gets fixed

Personally, I'm in no rush... I'm moving house soon and will be renovating a place, so by the time I'm ready to buy, the Asus may be available, and I would ideally like to see reviews of it before I pull the trigger either way, but if it's too expensive it would be an easy decision.

Back
Top Bottom