Sump Plug Crossthreaded

Soldato
What would you do? Car is leaking oil quite quickly due to a cross threaded sump plug that I've only just noticed. New sump (as soft threads are probably damaged), sealant and plug would come to about £60. Now, I can't prove that they've done it, and I can't even be sure how long it's been like that - since the last oil change in October I'd assume.

Now, would you go back and kick off and have a difficult time proving they did it, or just cough up and replace the sump?

EDIT- Crap, sorry folks, hadn't realised I was in GD. Please move to motors.

Soldato
OP
Pretty much bugger all you can do other than replace. Threads should be ok but you can check first. Before you splash out on a full sump replacement.

Yeah that's my thoughts. All I'll achieve is burnt bridges and stress. The bolt is pretty wonky, so I'd be very surprised if the threads weren't damaged, especially as it's grade I cheesium.

https://goo.gl/photos/vkGEUuWUBdFCrwsT6

Hard to see in that image, but the bolt is not in straight.

Soldato
OP
Drain the oil
re tap the thread
replace (if needed the sump bolt and crush washer)

Haven't got any tap sets and surely any mobile helicoil kit is going to cost the same or more than a new gasket. The trickiest part for me is going to be cleaning the old sealant off with the car on just axle stands. Might have to take it into my work's garage and get it up on a lift.

Associate
I assume your car is holding most of its oil, with a steady drip?
In which case, it would be quite easy to drop the oil, and just refit the bolt. It will probably find its original thread again. Aluminum sump or steel?

I think it would be quite an easy fix imho.

Soldato
OP
I assume your car is holding most of its oil, with a steady drip?
In which case, it would be quite easy to drop the oil, and just refit the bolt. It will probably find its original thread again. Aluminum sump or steel?

I think it would be quite an easy fix imho.

I thought about that but I haven't got enough oil on standby to do it. The oil is fairly new, as it's gone through about 1.5L in about 750 miles or less. I could keep buying it from Halfrauds for £20 per L, but I'd rather order 4L for <£30 online and do it. Until I have enough oil to do a top up, I don't want to touch that bolt ha. I'll order some oil and have a go next weekend or one night this week if I have enough day light after work.

It's a steady drip, but quite quick. Here is 22 hours of 'dripping' on a fresh bit of cardboard: https://goo.gl/photos/RGwhJmKF6JsEGTjQA

The sump pan itself is aluminium.

Associate
The sump bolt is a fairly coarse thread, so it would be quite difficult if not impossible to cross thread and get tightened up that much.

The way the bolt is not sitting straight would suggest that the thread is either stripped or more likely has already been helicoiled but the helicoil hasn't gone in perfectly straight.

Soldato
Just go to a 24hr garage and buy some oil.

Then you can drop the oil, modify the sump plug (the sump is ally) and put it in straight with a new washer.

Soldato
OP
If it's aluminium make sure it's not cracked, even a slight over tightening can cause hairline cracks that leak a surprising amount.

Yeah i'm going to drain the oil this week and inspect the sump pan threads. Chances are I'll need a new one. Sourcing a genuine VW part is proving difficult. I can see plenty of aftermarket parts on ebay for £40 but I've no idea what the QC or tolerances are like, and I don't want to give any excuse for future leaks from blow by gasses etc. I'll have to call Skoda UK and get a quote for a new sump pan.

EDIT: £120 for a new sump pan from Skoda :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I would drain it and then tap it. Im sure there are places out there that may lend you a tap or do the work for less than £120

Soldato
OP

That is one VERY long thread ha.

Went to the motor vehicle guy at my work who said it was just a loose bolt. I'm going to monitor it over night again. I thought it might have just been that but without a torque wrench, I didn't want to touch it. Turns out he didn't have one either and just did it to "***king tight", so I hope he hasn't overdone it. He said it didn't appear to overtightened but I guess I'll see tomorrow morning if there's been any more drips...

The sump pan is steel, not aluminium like I first thought so hopefully I'll be good to go. I might still replace the bolt and crush washer to be sure...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom