** PHANTEKS POWER COMBO DEVICE - UNLIMITED POWER!!!!! **

Associate
I'm speaking to Phanteks and they will provide a full explanation which I will post here in due course.

There is no explanation. This device only provides redundancy to the motherboard and CPU. Everything else (Molex, SATA, 6/8 pin PCI-E) simply fails when the PSU it's connected to fails.

I feel like this device wasn't actually designed for redundancy at all, it's just a glorified jumper than enables 2 PSUs operating simultaneously powering the same system (enabling stupid things like quad 295x2 by pooling two 1200W PSUs together or something). They just tacked on that word because it provides a very crippled version of what they're claiming. Unless you're running your OS from RAM or a USB, your PC won't survive a PSU failure because of the lack of SATA redundancy, as mentioned before.

This ensures that all your vital information and data will not be interrupted or lost.

This is a categorical lie.

Last edited:
Soldato
it is no different to the Antec High Current Pro PSU's that can be daisy chained, so when you turn on one with your chassis power switch, the other turns on too. Giving more powahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

But no redundancy either, but ours is just a simple cable telling the secondary PSU to fire up when the first one does and off when primary is off. It is part of the PSU and the cable comes in the box, so no extra costs. But they only work with 2 x Antec HCP units, but you can mix wattages fine.

Last edited:
Associate
This product makes no sense.

At least there were some vague edge-cases where the "two machines from one PSU" version could have been useful.

OcUK Staff
OP
the combo cant do anything else apart from power mobo and cpu. therefore if one psu dies EVERY device on that psu except the Mobo and cpu will go off..

The ONLY thing this does is give you more overall power, not redundancy

Wrong.

RCoon said:
There is no explanation. This device only provides redundancy to the motherboard and CPU. Everything else (Molex, SATA, 6/8 pin PCI-E) simply fails when the PSU it's connected to fails.

I feel like this device wasn't actually designed for redundancy at all, it's just a glorified jumper than enables 2 PSUs operating simultaneously powering the same system (enabling stupid things like quad 295x2 by pooling two 1200W PSUs together or something). They just tacked on that word because it provides a very crippled version of what they're claiming. Unless you're running your OS from RAM or a USB, your PC won't survive a PSU failure because of the lack of SATA redundancy, as mentioned before.

Wrong.

Ace Modder said:
it is no different to the Antec High Current Pro PSU's that can be daisy chained

It is.

kaku said:
This product makes no sense.

At least there were some vague edge-cases where the "two machines from one PSU" version could have been useful.

Makes a lot of sense in multiple outlined scenarios in the OP.

Here's the explanation.

Pj3mRCx.jpg

GWdGKTh.png

Phanteks said:
How does the redundancy feature work?

Phanteks’ Power Combo allows two power supplies to combine power to one motherboard. If one of the power supply(A) units develops an internal fault or fails, the working power supply(B) unit automatically takes over and bypass the malfunctioning main circuit of the failed power supply(A) and supplies the load to the Sata and PCI-e devices. In other words, the input (A) on the Power Combo will automatically function as an output (A).

The Power Combo redundancy allows uninterrupted system operation in the event of failure to one of the power supply. This allows the system to be powered up, but only if the available power of the working power supply is higher than the required power from the system.

When a failure occurs in one of the power supply, the status is communicated by:
-The Power Combo’s indicator light changes from white to red.

Which scenarios could cause the Power Combo’s redundancy feature not to work?
In most cases of power supply failures, the power supply’s protection will activate on the main circuit and the Power combo’s redundancy feature is able to keep your system in operation. As long as PSU(B) has sufficient power to supply your PC systems on its own. There are some rare scenarios when the PSU(B) won’t be able to power the devices that are connected to PSU(A). Examples:

1. Water damage to the PSU.
This could cause short-circuit on the entire board (including the connectors unit).
2. When short-circuit occurs in the connected cables (faulty cables)

So there you have it. We've tested it and can confirm it works exactly as specified when the 1st or 2nd power supply is turned off, which without deliberately damaging the unit is proof enough. I would like to think that a company as reputable as Phanteks would actually test these functions before making wild claims about them, and I appear to be correct. I expect you all to preorder one now :)

Please send your apology letters to: -

Phanteks HQ
I Am Misinformed Lane
I Apologise for my Inaccurate Claims City
HumblePieshire
Planet Earth

or support'AT'phanteks.com, whichever works best :)

Last edited:
Associate
Wrong.

Wrong.

It is.

Makes a lot of sense in multiple outlined scenarios in the OP.

Here's the explanation.

Pj3mRCx.jpg

GWdGKTh.png

So there you have it. We've tested it and can confirm it works exactly as specified when the 1st or 2nd power supply is turned off, which without deliberately damaging the unit is proof enough. I would like to think that a company as reputable as Phanteks would actually test these functions before making wild claims about them, and I appear to be correct. I expect you all to preorder one now :)

Please send your apology letters to: -

Phanteks HQ
I Am Misinformed Lane
I Apologise for my Inaccurate Claims City
HumblePieshire
Planet Earth

or support'AT'phanteks.com, whichever works best :)

in that case sir, I feel a total buffoon and nincompoop :(

I don't. Perhaps if they detailed this in their press releases on every major tech site and to resellers, this confusion wouldn't have arisen in the first place. For Phantek's sake I'm glad I was wrong, but perhaps there's a lesson for them to learn here.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
oh did you really go there ;) :eek::eek::eek::eek: Corsair won't like this haha.

Mind you they are busy renaming all the AIO coolers because Nvidia took offense to the GT and GTX naming and send a legal order to change the names! :)

That was hardware labs. They love a lawsuit

OcUK Staff
OP
I don't. Perhaps if they detailed this in their press releases on every major tech site and to resellers, this confusion wouldn't have arisen in the first place. For Phantek's sake I'm glad I was wrong, but perhaps there's a lesson for them to learn here.

It's ok, everyone is wrong on the internet at some point. Just accept it.

Soldato
So you could "in theory" power two systems from one PSU.

You have two outputs from one input?
SATA may be an issue but there is always M2 and PCIe.
Onboard sound and graphics?

Could be used for testing and stuff.

I am always wrong on the internets :)

Back
Top Bottom