What's the best way for me to upgrade my PC to future proof it for a while?

Associate
Just gonna copy what I posted on reddit for ease:

Build Help/Ready:

What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.
Gaming. Also studying Computer Science so I'll be doing programming and what not as well, if that's worth mentioning.

If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, FPS, game settings)
Currently have 1080p 60Hz monitor but can't decide whether to upgrade. 60 FPS minimum. High or at a push max.

What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?
Can't really say cause I'm unsure of the best way to upgrade. Don't want to be going silly basically.

In what country are you purchasing your parts?
United Kingdom

Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please).

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
Case: Cooler Master 690 III ATX Mid Tower Case
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX S40 CPU-Cooler - 120mm
Storage: Toshiba 128GB SSD 2.5" 9.5mm SATA 6/GBs
PSU: Hale Power 90+ 550W '80 Plus Gold' Power Supply
Monitor: IIYAMA ProLite E2483HS1 24 inch LED Monitor

Provide any additional details you wish below.
So the above is my current build. I'm looking to upgrade it and try and future proof it a bit.

Graphics Card: I've mainly been debating between the RX 480 (or 2) and GTX 1070/1080 (but the 1080 is probably too much for me to justify). After a response on reddit, I've think I'm going to go with the 1070. I do see that OC have the R9 390 at £209 atm but I feel like that's future proofing myself.

CPU: Totally unsure whether my current CPU is worth upgrading. If I do, I'm guessing I'll need a new motherboard.

RAM: With my current motherboard and RAM, I'm limited to 2133MHz DRR3, both of which I've read are totally fine for gaming. Probably worth increasing the size from 8GB to 16GB, but I'm unsure whether to go via 2x8GB sticks and sell my current ones, or just increase by 2x4GB sticks, which on my current MB would use all available slots, meaning upgrading in the future I have less choice, or keep my current sticks and get either a 2x8GB or 1x16GB (also read dual channel isn't 100% necessary).

Motherboard: Again, all depends on what happens with my CPU, RAM and maybe Graphics Card.

Monitor: Other than the one listed, I currently have a very old LG square monitor that I'm using (because why not XD) but that's not worth taking into account. The monitor has been a tough decision. Since I'm studying CS, it's useful to have information available to me quick. Therefore at least 2 monitors is essential. But again, the monitor I choose all depends on the Graphics Card. I've heard even if you can't achieve 144Hz, having a monitor that can handle that can still look nice. I would also prefer two (or maybe even 3) of the same monitors for continuity. I've been debating ultra-widescreen and 1440p monitors as well, but 1440p monitors seem to be hella expensive unfortunately, and I can't see myself paying upwards of £500 on one good gaming monitor when I could get two 1080p ones for around the same price (or even one if I decide to keep my current).

Other: As for cooling, that may be worth upgrading. Power Supply is more than likely gonna have to be upgraded. I've been looking at the EVGA SuperNOVA G2 (just something fully modular). Storage should be fine for now.

Ok, so that's me done. Again, I can't decide the best way to upgrade, there's so many options. If I want at least 2 monitors, then I think 1080p might have to be enough so I don't break my bank.
Thanks ahead!

Associate
OP
Sorry for the late reply. So I think I'm going to go with the 1070. Any suggestions on which cooler to get? I've had next to no problems with my current MSI 280X and it's been handy to overclock it.

As for the monitor, I'm probably best of getting a 1440p 144Hz monitor. Again, any suggestions?

I also plan on increasing my RAM to 16GB, but that's an easy choice.

Associate
I just upgraded from 8GB of DDR3 1600 to 16GB of DDR3 2400 today. It's great to have that much RAM.

RAM is so cheap these days. It's a no brainer. Don't be afraid of the faster stuff, Haswell can handle it no problem. It has pretty much the best DDR3 controller that there ever was on it.

The things I see you could improve in your setup are:

Go to 16GB RAM
Get a bigger SSD
Get a faster GPU

that's about it. You could overclock that CPU as well if you have the proper cooler for it.

Soldato
Sorry for the late reply. So I think I'm going to go with the 1070. Any suggestions on which cooler to get? I've had next to no problems with my current MSI 280X and it's been handy to overclock it.

As for the monitor, I'm probably best of getting a 1440p 144Hz monitor. Again, any suggestions?

I also plan on increasing my RAM to 16GB, but that's an easy choice.

Vote here for an MSI. Great results from mine and a friends. Shop around and you can get one for a decent price. It rips through games at 1440p so no worries there.

Associate
OP
So regarding the RAM, should I just be looking for DDR3 2133 MHz? I'm fairly sure I read that your computer runs at the lowest rate of installed RAM, so there's no point going beyond 2133. Also, should I just get 2x8GB sticks and make my total RAM 24GB? Seen this one on OC which matches the brand I have currently (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...channel-kit-tlaed316g2133hc11a-my-046-tg.html). It'd be a bit more future proof going that way.

As for the SSD, I don't really think it's worth me upgrading just yet. I still have 40GB left and I only install games on my HDD. Loading times in games don't really bother me.

I'm pretty much set on getting the MSI GTX 1070 now once the initial prices decrease.

Again, any recommendations on specific monitors?

Soldato
There are a lot of great monitors out there. With a Nvidia card you will want to look for something with Gsync and being a 1070 it would perform admirably in 2560x1440 so something like a ROG swift would be amazing for you. Do you have any price range you would want to stick within for the monitor? Would help heaps to know for suggestions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom