Glue to stick rear view mirror to windscreen?

Guv

Guv

Soldato
My rear view mirror has fallen off so I need to glue it back on. I just went to Halfords to buy some glue but wasn't sure which was best.
I was going to get some instant drying Araldite stuff but then read the back and it said not suitable for securing rear view mirrors to windscreens.
Then I found some stuff specific for glass and metal, but again it said not suitable for windscreens!

Any ideas on what to use?

thanks

Guv

Guv

Soldato
OP
L0rdMike said:
Sticky pads?

I've tried them before and they don't seem to be strong enough.
I used some extra strong velcro stuff before as well which held for a while but it's not great as the mirror wobbles a bit.

Soldato
i had to stick mine on in a rush, cut a small piece of gaffa tape and stuck it to the windscreen and then superglued to this. Thought the tape would stop any damage to the glass?

Soldato
ajgoodfellow said:
I wouldn't glue the mirror on as the glass will expand and contract with the heat leading to cracks as the glue has no give compared to a sticky pad

I highly doubt a product designed for the job would be so stiff to cause that, it will be a plasticy type material with a certain amount of give. IF it was a uber stiff non deforming product then it would either crack itself or shear from the screen than cause any damage to the glass.

Associate
...Just go to a windscreen repair place and they will do it for a few quid. Proper adhesive and proper job.

Associate
alle said:
...Just go to a windscreen repair place and they will do it for a few quid. Proper adhesive and proper job.
Thats what my dad did.

Alternatively I stuck my GF's back on with the stuff that comes with mesh which is placed between the glass and the mirror. Did this a couple of years ago and its been rock solid ever since.

Back
Top Bottom