Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > General Discussion

Old 26th Aug 2006, 17:52   #1
Defcon5
Soldato

Do you have to have a water meter?

We recently moved into a new house which came with a water meter, thing is our bills are huge compared to what they used to be.

So can we ask for it to be taken off and just have a normal bill?

Defcon5 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 17:56   #2
Sirrel Squirrel
Soldato

Think it would depend on the water company or if you're renting somewhere
Sirrel Squirrel is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 17:59   #3
Alex_L
Mobster

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/aptrix/ofwat...t/Water_Meters

don't think you can have it removed going by that link, so looks like you'll have to get used to the higher bills.
Alex_L is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 17:59   #4
hittman
Wise Guy

don't fink u can. I moved into a new house and we have a water meter. So basically you get charged for the water you use as oppose to before where you just paid every quarterly. Its suppose to make you more aware of the water used.
Last edited by hittman; 26th Aug 2006 at 18:02.
hittman is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 18:00   #5
Rotty
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon5
We recently moved into a new house which came with a water meter, thing is our bills are huge compared to what they used to be.

no you can't but they certainly shouldn't be lots more unless you use a daft amount of water

Rotty is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 18:07   #6
Defcon5
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotty
no you can't but they certainly shouldn't be lots more unless you use a daft amount of water
//Strokes pressure washer and hosepipe

Defcon5 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 18:08   #7
Tonks
Gangster

I think all new houses are built with a meter, also when you move house if the house you are moving into doesn't have one then one has to be fitted. I'm not sure of all this I could be wrong... perhaps it all depends upon the area...
Tonks is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 18:09   #8
Hussman
Hitman

I chose to have one fitted and have saved a load of cash.

Admittedly I only share the house with my wife, but we have seen our water bills halved.

I think the hose pipe ban here in the South East has helped too!

Hussman is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 18:24   #9
Mickey_D
Soldato

Meh, no meter for me. Mind you, I don't pay for water. Only the electricity to pump it up out of my well and drive it through the filtration system!!
Mickey_D is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 18:28   #10
Edinho
Mobster

Quote:

Nope.
Edinho is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 18:36   #11
Halfmad
Capodecina

Move to Scotland, use as much water as you want Granted it never stops raining so you dont need to water the garden!

Teamspeak: pagan-sc.enjinvoice.com | All OCUK members welcome
Halfmad is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 18:38   #12
Daniel
Hitman

The government want the whole of the UK on water meters eventually so all new builds will now have them as standard.

We will soon be paying the same price for water as we do for petrol

Dan
Daniel is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 20:05   #13
schnipps
Soldato

All new houses built from god knows when have to be fitted with water meters, the water companies want EVERYONE on a meter, thats why you can get one fitted free. It must cost them a bit to fit each one as they subcontract out, the path has to be dug up and re concreted over etc.

We got one put in a year ago and our bills are pretty much the same, it works out alot more expensive on a meter compared to rates though.

Two bed flat and our metered bills and slightly less than our rates were and we never have a bath and never use a hosepipe. So i can see water charges going mad over the next 10-15 years as more and more are metered.
schnipps is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 20:45   #14
Third Opinion
Soldato

Get yourself a water butt (or 2) and a pump. You can use your hose pipe and pressure washer to your hearts content without being charge a penny. Water board should sell them at a discount price.
Third Opinion is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 20:58   #15
LeperousDust
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
The government want the whole of the UK on water meters eventually so all new builds will now have them as standard.

We will soon be paying the same price for water as we do for petrol

Dan
Erm what the government want is fair, if you use more you pay more? How simple can you get? What currently isn't fair is the choice some people have to not bother getting a meter.
LeperousDust is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 21:00   #16
gort
Wise Guy

I've read that if you get a meter installed you can have it taken out within 12 or 18 months so you can change your mind in that time if you find you're not saving any dosh.
gort is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 21:39   #17
Edinho
Mobster

Nope. When its in its in.
Edinho is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 23:13   #18
lay-z-boy
Sgarrista

nope, and im glad we dont, god help us when we try to fill the pool

Recon im going to have to abandon my fishkeeping hobby when i get my own house as the tanks are effing huge.

lay-z-boy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2006, 23:50   #19
Morlan
Mobster

I pity you British people for being charged water, council tax, waste charges, etc, it's a disgrace. I remember moving to Scotland from Ireland and being hit with these hideous council tax bills, something I had never factored in before moving.

There are waste charges in Ireland but if you have a compost lott and recycle your plastics, glass, tin, papers, you don't get charged a penny. Water is free as long as you don't water your garden during the summer heatwave. Why can't the UK do the same?
Morlan is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2006, 00:12   #20
shimy182
Mobster

my parents moved over to meter when i was young. they thought it will turn out cheaper.

theyve never been wronger since, bad move by them tbh
shimy182 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2006, 00:17   #21
Morlan
Mobster

Hmm, what would happen if you didn't require water? Eg, you washed yourself/clothes in the sea and drank water from the lakes/rivers? Surely it's illegal to charge somebody for somethng that they don't use..?
Morlan is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2006, 00:21   #22
v0n
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlan
Water is free as long as you don't water your garden during the summer heatwave. Why can't the UK do the same?
Because it's great business and makes a lot of money. You tell people water is precious and tell them to stop watering their gardens and orangeries even when the true reason for water shortages is your own unmaintained pipes that loose more water through leaks than people use in some areas.

v0n is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2006, 10:41   #23
Windle
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
Well that's odd because the government have Zippo to do with Water. It's up to the Water Companies (Privately Owned) in the end, however only one Water board has actually been given rights to force people to have water meters installed. The rest are optional choices, and as has been mentioned if you choose to get one installed you can come off it within a set time frame. However if you move into a house with one already installed you have no choice and have to keep it. And to the OP, don't complain. Your now paying exactly what you should be paying and not a penny more.

Don't know why people complain so much about water meters, if everybody was on a meter it would make things a lot easier At present everybody not on a meter gets charged a fixed price for all the water in the area which is averaged per house (Companies should be on water meters as they use more). Now this fixed price doesn't allow for the leaks in the network, now considering in some areas up here in Scotland there are leaks equivalent to 60l/s your paying a lot more than you should be as your also paying money for a percentage of the leaks in the area. If you were on a meter, the water company no longer has you paying for the leaks = more leaks found/fixed and lower water usage in your area.
Windle is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2006, 10:43   #24
Windle
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlan
Hmm, what would happen if you didn't require water? Eg, you washed yourself/clothes in the sea and drank water from the lakes/rivers? Surely it's illegal to charge somebody for somethng that they don't use..?
But people don't, if you don't use water and aren't connected then you don't pay water charges. But you would probably be likely to still pay sewerage charges unless you just do your business in the garden

Another way of doing things is to get a borehole in your area. Hook it up to the local network and you can sell the water to your waterboard. Everybody's a winner
Windle is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2006, 10:59   #25
Rotty
Don

I fail to see how people end up with stupid bills, we use as much water as we want and pay about 17 a month ( meter )

Rotty is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2006, 11:05   #26
clv101
Sgarrista

Quote:

Would you like to have you gas and electricty meter removed as well? Water should be metered, if you use more than the next man you should pay more!!

clv101 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2006, 12:24   #27
Scream
Mobster

I can't wait till everyone starts paying for water cause alot of people just waste it.

I pay for my water and I see my neighbours running it down the drain. Some actually wash their car everyday, powerhose their yard every week for no bloody reason apart from wasting free water.

They use five times the amount of water that I do but I pay due owning a business.

Most home's in rural NI have meters now and within 2 years, they will all have to pay.

They will soon realise what its like to pay for water and learn not to waste it.

If you aren't hard on water then the cost won't be worrying but those that waste will complain.

I'm going to bore a well so I'll be laughing at them with my free water.

Scream is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote