The Official Samsung SM226BW Thread!

Man of Honour
Sir Random said:

wow, that side-tracked me for much longer than i wanted! Here's my reply to the whole thread over there, some very sweeping statements being made and a lot of mis-informed people it seems. The pic above doesn't really show anything, both connected to different machines, differences most probably due to graphics card set ups (one is a laptop even)...also, my comments below should help clear up some of the mess. Let's not get too dragged down with all this here!:

======================

wow, what a massive thread! Just read through most of this, and there are a few things which bother me, and i think more people need to be aware of.

Firstly, there is NO AOC panel! AOC are a small screen manufacturer, they do not make their own LCD panels. There are two panels:

1. Samsung's own TN Film panel, the LTM220M1
2. AU Optronics' TN Film panel (not AOC, but AUO ) the M220EW01.

So that's the main confusion which seems to have started quite early on in the thread, with statements about an "AOC" panel. Anyway, it's not uncommon for manufacturers to utilise different panels in their screens, depending on availability, release dates, stock, price etc. Samsung and LG do it quite often, and accessing factory menus on their models often reveals configurations for various different options. In this particular case, Samsung have shipped the SM226BW with either their own Samsung panel (shown in factory menu by the 220M1 reference as above, and seemingly by an "S on the sticker on the back). Or they have shipped the screen with an AU Optronics panel, again shown by it's reference in the OSD, and by an "A" on the back.

What worries me though, is that from a very early point in this thread, it was mentioned there was an "A" version of the screen, and immediately, a lot of people started jumping on the bandwagon and saying it was inferior, and that somehow the AUO version was much much worse. "How could Samsung do this to us?"...."I won't settle for an "A" version...i want my "better S version"!! This person said one of the more informed and sensible things I think:

Everything else you said is correct, but please everybody remember that the panel Samsung is switching to is not "AOC" but made by "AU Optronics" also known as "AUO". Proof for this was posted when someone posted the images of "A" and "S" model OSD's which show the panel models. AOC is an Chinese/Japanese/Korean/whatever manufacturer of TFT-displays, like Viewsonic for example. AUO is the biggest Korean manufacturer of TFT-panels.

S-model has this panel: http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/Monitor/LTM220M1/LTM220M1.htm
A-model has this panel: http://www.auo.com/auoDEV/products.php?sec=monitor&func=info&product_id=72&items_id=1That

Basically AUO is a good panel manufacturer and most people consider their panels better than ChiMei's panels (those are used in LG L226WT for instance), but it is starting to seem that this thime AUO's panel is not very good.

Even though I'd like to see some side-by-side photos before saying my final thoughts because it is impossible to compare two separate pictures taken about backlight bleeding because the way the picture looks like depends too much on camera, on ambient lightning, etc.

AU Optronics are one of the main, if not THE main, manufacturers of LCD displays in the monitor market. They don't normally make duff panels, let's just say that. Those who immediately started moaning about the AUO version should probably be a little more reserved before jumping to conclusions imo. This isn't the same as Dell's panel lottery, something which I know is almost a sore spot for people it seems. There are big talks about it on here, and elsewhere. However, what Dell have done with their S-PVA vs S-IPS lottery in the 2007 models is quite different. Yes, they are different. I think a large part of the 'hysteria' about it is out of proportion myself, but that is more of a significant change than we are seeing here with the Samsung SM226BW. Don't let what Dell have done make you immediately draw conclusions about other manufacturers. This has been done for a long time by many display providers :)

AUO are a reputable and very highly regarded panel manufacturer. the panel being used is an extension of that used also in the Iiyama E2200WS and Belinea 2225S1W, which are quite popular as well. Samsung have very likely supplied the screen with the intent of using their own TN Film panel, but probably due to availability, have had to use a very similar panel from AU Optronics. If demand is high, they will do that, but it doesn't automaitcally mean one is better than the other by the extent some people seem to be thinking here!

Does anyone have a factual basis for the concern that "A" panel is inferior to "S" panel? I'm wondering if this forum has tried and convicted Samsung based on a perception of duplicitous business practices, but my primary interest at this point is whether the aftual TN panel quality is or isn't equivalenty between the "S" versus "A" panel. If AUO was subcontracted to produce the identical panel specifications and is a reputable manufacturer, perhaps this debate may be "much ado about nothing."

Anyone have objective comparison data or even an "educated set of eyes" to offer a difference between these 2 similarly spec'd panels?

Thanks to all for an interesting thread!

I think that's a very good point too. It seems people are siting two problems with the AUO version:

- backlight bleeding / panel uniformity issues
- colour banding and over-saturation of colours

If you read through this thread there are also many many people who are very happy with their screens. Panel uniformity is down to manufacturing processes more than anything. Different panels being used should have very limited / no impact on this issue, and i'd imagine any differences are probably coincidental. You can see bad bleeding on many different panels. For instance, the S-IPS panel (S-IPS being the "favourite" round here it seems for one reason or another) had some very bad and notorious issues on the Dell 2005FPW. That didn't mean that everyone started saying all S-IPS panels from LG.Philips were rubbish though ;)

Colour banding and accuracy also is a bit of a hard one to gauge. One user said they had both versions, and says the colours looked better on the Samsung panel. However, they also admit that they never calibrated the screen and just plugged it in and played. Colour accuracy out of the box CAN and WILL vary greatly from one panel to another. Samsung are actually pretty good with their out-of-the-box calibration and so this might well explain the issue here. Yes, The Samsung version might well be more accurately and evenly set up from the outset, but that doesn't mean the AUO panel is crap! If you calibrated the screen properly, or even with software methods, i would suggest results would be somewhat improved. Colour banding can also be accentuated by poor set up and calibration. Poor initial factory settings might well be to blame for the apparent perceived differences people are seeing here, and for those who have managed to try both versions. I would be very surprised if this could not be corrected though with the right methods.

there's too much elite-ism going on here....far too much talk of S >>>> A!

Has anyone tried claibrating the AUO version properly? Does this help eliminate the brightness issues and colour inaccuracies?

Remember, there are still a lot of positive comments here and elsewhere about both versions....

OK, I've done a "professional" calibration on this display with Colorvision's Spyder2Express product and it has made a pretty serious improvement. The before/after changes make it pretty evident that the default color on the display has a serious blue shift.

Color for photo work is now highly accepteable. I don't see any banding on photos taken with my Canon 20D SLR camera.

The only outstanding issue now is the noticeable and annoying light bleed at the bottom of the display. I will spend the next week deciding if it is bad enough that the display will have to be swapped out.

Ah, answers my question then (while I'm compiling this reply!)....seems to confirm my suspicions. Hope you get the backlight bleed sorted soon!

Like I posted earlier, I dont think there is a difference between the AUO and the Samsung panel, they have the same specs. People here are just freaking out and making assumptions about which is better.

My S panel has very uneven lighting. When I display a beautiful girl (clothed :D )as my desktop, her skin tones at the bottom are much brighter compared to the top. I didn't do any sort of obsessive compulsive testing to determine this, it was just something that caught my attention and annoyed me. Do I jump to rash conclusions that ALL S panels are bad??

No.

I just need to go back to CircuitCity and replace me monitor. :rolleyes:

Exactly!! :)

Same thing with the 226BW,
the Samsung panel is rated A++
the other panel is rated A

Where does that come from?

---------------------
So which panel would I get? - I would imagine that Samsung started shipping the screen with their Samsung panel as intended. High demand, and limited stock of the panels (I've seen this before with other models, for example the Hyundai N91W was in high demand, but later withdrawn due to a lack of the Samsung panel being available) probably led them to seek panels from elsewhere. AUO make very good panels, and are one of the main manufacturers. I would imagine certain shipments (maybe even continuing now?) are using the AUO panel. Before you jump on the bandwagon, please consider my comments above about A vs S!!

Associate
I think you did a great job on cleaning this up baddass, well done :)

So the delay right now for these panels could because of samsung wanting their panels in the 226bw?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
quite possibly, or could be partly due to them realising they needed to make alternative arrangement for the LCD panels. Might just be delays with UK stock though, i'd expect them soon :)

Soldato
MTA99 said:
Look again.....the desktop backgrounds are different. Compare the top right of each
I think it's the same background image, and it's the monitor settings that are different.

The background image dimensions probably don't scale to match the widescreen ratio exactly, so with the desktop background set to "Center" in the lefthand picture, the image appears cropped at the top and bottom (you can see this best at the top-right and bottom-left of the screens).

In the righthand picture, the background appears to be set to "Stretch", which makes the image fit the screen exactly.

Also, the lefthand monitor has larger desktop icons, implying that it's running at a lower resolution to the righthand one.

svsalj9.jpg

Even if the monitors were set up identically, the use of different graphic cards makes the comparison unreliable.

Soldato
Sir Random said:
The background image dimensions probably don't scale to match the widescreen ratio exactly, so with the desktop background set to "Center" in the lefthand picture, the image appears cropped at the top and bottom (you can see this best at the top-right and bottom-left of the screens).

In the righthand picture, the background appears to be set to "Stretch", which makes the image fit the screen exactly.

Even if the monitors were set up identically, the use of different graphic cards makes the comparison unreliable.

Yep think you're right.

The left hand monitor is running Vista and the right XP. Do the OS's use different default colour profiles (ignoring the whole different gfx card etc issues)?

Man of Honour
spike_2000uk said:
Thanks Baddass, your S vs A post has put my mind at rest! :p
My supplier has emailed me with an ETA of 13/3/07.
I've sold my N91W and I'm back on my 19" iiyama crt.
I miss my widescreen. :(

no problems :) hope it helped clear things up for some people.

how sort of soon you reckon. next week? Im interest in one of these to replace my 19" hanss-g

thanx for your posts and stickys badass very helpfull

not sure i'm afraid, worth checking with the shop perhaps

Associate
Really people shouldn't be complaining to OCuk about when they are getting stock in. It isnt their fault that the manufacturers are either really really slow at pumping out the monitors or they are just lazy ....

The thing is if you look around at other websites (im not trying to advertise, just stating a fact) you will notice that no one has this monitor in stock and most of them don't even have an ETA! So really people calm yourselves, there are always other monitors out their to choose from but if you are after this one then try to be patient - im sure a few more days wont kill anyone, or at least i hope not ;) .

Soldato
$hadow said:
Really people shouldn't be complaining to OCuk about when they are getting stock in. It isnt their fault that the manufacturers are either really really slow at pumping out the monitors or they are just lazy ....

Mine's not coming from OCUK and it's still fully delayed.

You are right that it is in no way there fault and people shouldn't blame them for the delay. The only reason I'd have a problem with ocuk is because they take the money and earn interest on it on a product they don't provide you with. I think that is a joke personally. Don't know if this is standard practive but imho they shouldnt take the money till they despatch the product, let alone have it in stock.

Associate
Guru said:
Mine's not coming from OCUK and it's still fully delayed.

You are right that it is in no way there fault and people shouldn't blame them for the delay. The only reason I'd have a problem with ocuk is because they take the money and earn interest on it on a product they don't provide you with. I think that is a joke personally. Don't know if this is standard practive but imho they shouldnt take the money till they despatch the product, let alone have it in stock.

Ok Guru thats one thing that i can understand, i was initially quite shocked because i seemed to have misplaced £270 !! Had to have a quick look at my bank statement to realise that i had already paid for the monitor lol. I did ask just to make sure this was routine and OCuk were happy to clear things up. I have to admit however, i do prefer the pay on dispatch method, it just seems the perfect way to do things but as anyone can understand, security is a big thing anywhere you go so i happily accept it now.

Associate
aehmm overclockers should be getting their finger out and pointing blame at their suppliers and letting us know thats what they have done, most people know samsung are crap at getting their stock out, but don't make it easy for them, no sir.

give them 1 inch and they will take a mile.

Associate
Bin Boy said:
aehmm overclockers should be getting their finger out and pointing blame at their suppliers and letting us know thats what they have done, most people know samsung are crap at getting their stock out, but don't make it easy for them, no sir.

give them 1 inch and they will take a mile.

LOL. I dare OcUk to do that to Samsung. ;)

You have no idea of the difference between Samsung and Ocuk.

Samsung can basically one finger pin down ocuk, if they want to ( indirectly ).

Back
Top Bottom