Fuel up/down again

Man of Honour
Just a quick reminder that it was felt by the Government that fuel still isn't quite expensive enough, so another 0.76p was added to fuel duty today. I should point out this was the Labour government who implemented this rise, but of course the current government did have the option of removing it..

Another 2.5p or so will be added on the 4th January as well :)

I'm not normally critical of government policy but the near 10p increase in fuel duty since the highs of 2008 can only be seen as shameful. The high fuel prices were a huge contributer to pushing the country into recession.

And before all you diesel owners get smug, its worth noticing the ever increasing gap between petrol and diesel prices which is set to get even bigger due to production restrictions on the amount of diesel you get for the amount of petrol you get..

Associate
but as i still get double the miles a similar petrol car would give, i'm still slightly smug.
put prices are a joke, bring back the blockades:)

Soldato
Glad I brimmed the tank 2 days ago now, that should last me a few weeks atleast. It is getting daft now though, specially when you consider other countries pay peanuts for it. My recent offer of moving to Daytona is certainly something to think about seriously.

Soldato
Don't forget VAT goes up in a couple of days too.

Still someone has to pay for the £5000 government grant for electric cars. Best pre-order that Nissan Leaf now and get your money's worth.

EDIT: Beaten to the 'Buy a Leaf!'

Man of Honour
Thanks for the reminder. I'll pop out later and get some. The cost of travel in this country is getting silly. My daily commute just went up a lot with the train price rises too.

Caporegime
Well i'm glad that the government has done this. It means i can personally help pay off wayne and waynetta's ludicrously expensive christmas. I would hate to have seen the children of parents on benefit go without their new laptop's,HDTV's and Playstations.

:(. Oh well, back to work on Monday.:(

Soldato
No one like a smug diesel driver :D

& a smug cyclist even less :D

Fuel prices have been a joke in this country for years.
A few years ago when I passed my test I was paying £1.50 a gallon, now I can see £1.50 a litre bieng a realitly very shortly.

Glad I only live a few miles from work now hence why I sold my car & cycle wherever possible now.
I had to fill the girlfriends car up the other day...a 1.2 Corsa & it cost me nearly £50 :eek:

Associate
Well i'm glad that the government has done this. It means i can personally help pay off wayne and waynetta's ludicrously expensive christmas. I would hate to have seen the children of parents on benefit go without their new laptop's,HDTV's and Playstations.
Don't be ridiculous. The billions made from road tax and fuel duty go back into maintaining the roads, so that they're always gritted and ploughed when needed and when potholes form, they're fixed within days, not weeks or months!

Man of Honour
OP
but as i still get double the miles a similar petrol car would give, i'm still slightly smug.

I cannot think of a single car on sale today where the diesel variant has twice the combined consumption figure of its petrol equivilent in the range.

Soldato
It was just on the news, this time last year unleaded was an average of 108p, its now around 126p!!

They expect diesel to be around the 155p mark by christmas this year :eek:

Caporegime
So glad I don't drive to work, having said that It's now going to cost me neigh on £40 a week to use the tube. That's for a 10 mile journey, 100 miles for £40... thanks Boris. I drove a similar distance to my old job and that cost £15 a week in fuel.

Back
Top Bottom