F1 2016 tyre rules

Caporegime
They messed qualifying up to fix the problem with teams sitting in the pits for 50mins, as a purist it never bothered me personally but we all know F1 is driven by money (in this case sponsors).

It all went severely downhill since they banned refueling for me, when everybody has the same amount of fuel it just results in the same identical strategies particularly when also limited by tyres. With all of the cars the same weight it also reduced overtaking so they brought in more artificial rubbish like KERS and DRS to fix it.

I must admit I used to give Michael Schumacher criticism for the way he did so much overtaking via the pit stop, but the fact that he drove every lap of the race on the very limit was highly respectable, it's laughable the way F1 drivers have to drive at a reduced pace these days.

Man of Honour
OP
"Pirelli has confirmed that its 2016 Formula 1 tyres will feature a performance “cliff” similar to the type seen during the early years"

"thermal degradation tyres have often been criticised by drivers who cannot push to their maximum limits for fear of using all of the tyre’s life too early."
So true.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/...1-tyres-will-have-prominent-performance-peak/

Still a long way to go. Roll on 2018.

Sounds good in theory, but it only took the teams half a season to work out the limits and just pit when they knew they would go off.

Caporegime
What an overly complex mess.

Why didn't they do this: here's 4 sets of each of three tyre types and a bonus set of the softest for Q3 only. You must run two or more different tyre types in the race; have fun.

Caporegime
Because of the shipping of those tyres. As we worked out a few pages back, doing that would require them to ship 2640 tyres (not including spares) to each race, of which 2/3rds (1760) would not be used.

Edit: Wait, no, I've missread your post, sorry. You said 4 sets of each, plus an extra set of the softests. Thats 13 sets, which is what they currently have anyway. So in your solution eveyrone would have 4 sets of Hard, 4 sets of Medium and 5 sets of Soft. So what you would then get is litterally everyone using the exact same strategy across the weekend.

Last edited:
Associate
I didn't see your rose tinted glasses in the 'Items I have purchased' thread?

Right there, under the blinkers you bought :D

Joking ;)

I've rethought my previous post on the subject and can accept it was incorrect. However, I do believe that drivers could push closer to their own limit for longer periods during the races than they do now.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Watching Ted talk about the new tyres. Another Pirelli fail. Why can't we just have a proper tyre rather than multiple performance layers followed by a huge cliff. Could they try any harder to artificially destroy F1.

Caporegime
Watching Ted talk about the new tyres. Another Pirelli fail. Why can't we just have a proper tyre rather than multiple performance layers followed by a huge cliff. Could they try any harder to artificially destroy F1.

Again Pirelli are only doing what has been mandated of them within their contract. They've said before they could do qualifying tyres if asked and make the tyres far better than what there currently is but are only doing what's stipulated in the contract. The powers that be want a tyre that degrades and then falls off rapidly to encourage pit stops. What they don't realise (or they do and don't care) is that rather than pushing and doing three stops teams will attempt to manage the tyres and only do two stops as this also gives an advantage on track and in fuel use.

Back
Top Bottom