Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
Ask the FIA. They govern a lot of Single Seater series' yet only seem to think that F1 drivers heads are worth protecting.

It will filter down. It will take time, but F1 has the budget, resources and design to implement it sooner and influence it. Lower formula would always be later to respond, presumably as their cars often carry over for seasons on end and it's harder to design into an existing car, assuming it's not just something where a hinge is bolted onto the chassis (which could compromise the safety cell itself if it wasn't designed for it).

Caporegime
I'd argue it's completely the other way round to that. All the other FIA series are single spec series in which the FIA have either control over or a hand in the chassis design. Yes there's a lag time, but unlike F1 there isn't a whole range of manufacturers they have to convince either. They can simply say it will be done, and it will be done.

But there's nothing. Not a hint, not even a sniff that they have even started to have conversations about this with other series, and the conversation started back in 2009.

GP2 and GP3 drivers race on the same tracks as F1 on the same weekends in the same conditions, but apparently their heads aren't worth protecting?

The FIA either need to commit to this and go for it fully across all their series', or they need to admit that they are just poking the idea around their plate in F1 as a bit of PR fluff which will never happen, so the idea can be put to bed and they can sort out the real issues.

Soldato
Reading comprehension isn't your strong point.

... and as I said Channel 240 is a link to an internet stream. My 2012 TV gives an error message :

2016-02-06%2016.40.50.jpg

Man of Honour
Calm down. I never noticed it was a data channel now, it came up straight away like any other channel. There is a list of compatible devices on their site. 71 is CBS for me now btw.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm perfectly calm. To be blunt, I don't understand why you had to keyboard warrior out a smart alec reply when you didn't properly read the five word sentence in the post you were replying to.

Misschief - Bathurst 12h today?

Man of Honour
I'm perfectly calm. To be blunt, I don't understand why you had to keyboard warrior out a smart alec reply when you didn't properly read the five word sentence in the post you were replying to.

Nothing smart about my reply - I was suggesting it was fine for me so might be something your end, especially if Motors themselves are suggesting you need to re-tune, which I had done on mine last week. As mentioned in my previous reply it was due to not realising it wasn't a normal channel anymore, I didn't know some were like that. I'm guessing you can only view them if you have Smart TV connected to the web via Ethernet or wireless.

Soldato
Nothing smart about my reply

The "as said" indicates otherwise. "Have you retuned and tried Channel 240?" would certainly have been less condescending. Anyway, no further comments from me on this, I've made my point.

I was suggesting it was fine for me so might be something your end, especially if Motors themselves are suggesting you need to re-tune, which I had done on mine last week. As mentioned in my previous reply it was due to not realising it wasn't a normal channel anymore, I didn't know some were like that. I'm guessing you can only view them if you have Smart TV connected to the web via Ethernet or wireless.

Anything in the 200s is a data stream. Motors TV has been on 240 for about a year. It got the standard broadcast slot on 71 last October.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lol, following "no further comments from me on this" with a further comment :rolleyes:

All because Duke said "as said", rather than "as Slam62 said"... OcUK Motors, serious business.

Caporegime
First reaction: "No"

Then: "Wait, its a trap"

Then finally: "Nope, screw it, you were being a **** for no good reason, so I'll spring your trap on purpose :p"

Caporegime
I don't understand French, but theres enough in this video to get the jist.

Basically, a guy with no arms or legs is competing at Le Mans this year in an Oak Racing SRT41 as the entry in Garage 56.

Inspiring stuff!

Associate
Weird having to wait another few weeks for the launch dates, I remember when January used to be the date when everyone launched.

Soldato
Max Chilton has spoken out about the Nissan LMP1 program here.

A project that was doomed from the start. I had hope for it, but I didn't realise it was as far off as he says. Problems with huge torque steer, the car was pulling across the road into the path of others, it was impossible to push as it was so fragile...

"It was scary. We were doing 230mph at the end of the straights and were quicker than the Porsches and Audis." He also goes on to say, "...you would have GT cars you overtake on the straight, and you get to a corner and they come flying back past or are pushing you through the final chicanes because the car was so slow and had no traction."

"It was the hardest thing I've ever driven. You can't call it a racing car."

Back
Top Bottom