Housey's MX-5 Race Car Plans!

Man of Honour
Some of you may be aware that I've been aiming to do some MX-5 racing at some point in the future being a good learning ground in which I can cut my teeth. Well this ambition is now starting to take shape as a group of mates and I are having some MK1 race cars built for the Ma5da and Track Day Trophy championships. Today my donor car arrived at the workshops to begin the final build process and though it is not a great picture I wanted to share the event and start a thread that I will add to when I have the time. I've not even seen the car in the flesh as it was bought from a mate who lives and breathes MX-5's and is of course not really bought with its road car ability in mind, simply as a donor vehicle we can use.

4adffc2a.jpg

I will fill in the gaps as I go so bare with me, but we are as they say, "off and running!" :D

Man of Honour
OP
Yea I know, there have been lots of things going on in my world that meant this ambition had to take a seat at the back for many months and in reality I don't really have much time or monies to throw into it right now but sometimes you just have to go with it when you feel most of the circumstances are right.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
What are the limits to these days then? I suppose it's NA built engines and as little weight as possible?

There's a guy building a race car on one of the MX5 forums (http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45768) which is shaping up nicely and there's someone just had their Mk3 painted (http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65085).

I'd love to do something like this. Already got the base to do it on, but I couldn't afford to run and insure a tow car at the same time :(

Looking forward to more updates :)

Man of Honour
OP
The cars are pretty controlled in terms of what you can do but effectively its new everything, brakes, lines, exhausts, shocks, bushes, engine blue print, rads, cage, fire control and to make it a race car with donor car you are probably in the region of £6K - £7K all in, though corners can be cut if you self build, which I am not. In motorsport terms it's peanuts but I will share build logs and all sorts of other stuff as we go.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Reading the car regs it's quite strict, but not in an expensive way really. It's really not a lot to get going is it? Apart from the cage I could probably do most of the rest myself. My cars a 1.8 though, so would need to swap the engine for a 1.6 (or swap the car for a 1.6 I suppose). Might look into that down the line, even if I just race for a season it's an experience I'd like to get into while I have the oppertunity.

Back
Top Bottom