Jules Bianchi thread for updates and discussion

Soldato
It was suggested in another thread that a specific thread for Jules would be useful, so any updates aren't lost and discussions can still be had.

So here it is. :)

The following link contains a video of the crash, which some might find upsetting.

http://www.cuatro.com/deportes/moto...Bianchi-levantando-impactar_2_1871655147.html

It has been confirmed he has this type of injury

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuse_axonal_injury

According to the web resource brainandspinalcord.org, a diffuse axonal injury is 'one of the most common traumatic brain injuries' and that 'instead of occurring in a specific area', the injury 'occurs over a more widespread area'.

The website states that 'diffuse axonal injury isn’t the result of a blow to the head. Instead, it results from the brain moving back and forth in the skull as a result of acceleration or deceleration.

However, it adds that 'in addition to being one of the most common types of brain injuries, it’s also one of the most devastating'.

Last edited:
Soldato
Diffuse axonal injury

When we talk about “severe” head injury, as I mentioned Sunday, we’re talking about a classification that’s done CLINICALLY. That means the Glasgow score is assigned without taking into account exactly what the injuries are. Eyes, verbal, motor. That’s it.

We’ve spoken quite a bit about hematomas – collections of blood either outside of the membranes protecting the brain (“extradural” hematoma), within those membranes (“subdural”), under them (“subarachnoid”) or in the brain substance itself (“intracerebral”). Hematomas cause damage by compressing and displacing brain tissue, but also by increasing the intracranial pressure (see earlier posts about this).

When we take a patient to the CT scanner to see what the injuries are, we’re sometimes surprised to see that our (very) comatose patient has a shockingly “normal” looking scan. When the scan shows essentially generalised swelling with no significant focal neurosurgical lesions (i.e., bruises and hematomas), we talk about diffuse axonal injury, or DAI. We HATE when this happens. We have a scan that’s remarkably . . . pristine, with a patient who is seriously comatose.

Let’s look at the terms just a bit:

DIFFUSE: unlike hematomas, which by definition occur at a given location, using conventional imaging, DAI doesn’t show any SPECIFIC location for damage. This obviously isn’t particularly good news, because it precludes systematisation of the patient’s symptoms, makes rehabbing harder, etc.

AXONAL: the axons are the cable part of the nerve cell. They’re insulated cables, to conduct nerve impulses faster, so they’re covered in a fatty membrane, making them whitish. When you group lots of axons together you get white matter. The cell bodies of the nerve cells (neurons) are greyish . . . so when you put a bunch of nerve cell bodies together, yep, there it is, grey matter.

DAI seems to damage the white matter of the brain. The cabling. Once again, this isn’t really great, as the cabling is what allows higher-level information processing by hooking up the various brain areas (e.g., visual and auditory. I SEE you talking, HEAR your words, but actually it’s associative areas of my brain that fuse the information and integrates it into my experience of YOU TALKING. That kind of processing is easily interrupted with DAI.

This will often be associated with brain swelling, at least initially.

I’m totally gutted, sickened, by having to ask you to go back to December and January’s posts for more about ICP if you’re interested. I don’t have the heart to go through this again. Not for another of our guys. Jeez.

DAI is usually associated with a somber prognosis. Jules is young, strong, and is being cared for by a superb team. C’mon Jules. Go for it.

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com

Associate
Saw one of the youtube clips last night showing the accident. The speed the car was travelling at surprised me, looked as if it hadn't slowed down at all.

All happened pretty quickly, and didn't look good :( no need for me to see the clip again.

Hope he pulls through.

Soldato
TediousConsiderateBlacknorwegianelkhound.gif

213kph before Jules aquaplaned. Around 130mph.

I think this is significant enough to include here. Shows that he was travelling at some speed when he lost control and went off the track.

Caporegime
I assume its built from the FIA telemetry feed?

But regardless, if you have seen the video of the crash I don't think you are going to challenge the suggestion that he was traveling at a high speed when he left the track.

Associate
So unlucky when you see the video, the jcb had just started reversing and it looks like he would have missed it if it hadn't moved back :(

Man of Honour
at that speed, in the rain I dont think he knew there were yellow flags? or if he did it just shows why the current rules / regulations need some work

However, the light boards would have been more than visible as well as the lights on the dash.

Associate
Well if he was speeding up in a yellow sector and quite rapidly, then as much as I hate to say it but it was his fault clearly for not driving safely in the first place. The FiA need to put in speed restrictions under double waved yellows to stop these drivers for not thinking about their lives, they're not invulnerable and I hope that this accident becomes the wake up call for that and them.

Having said that there I want Bianchi to recover fully and drive again. He is also an amazing talent.

Back
Top Bottom