Daytona 24 - On now

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Anyone watching? Don't know a lot about the IMSA classes but it looks like some kind of prototype class, GT class including Corvette, Aston Martin, Ferrari, what looks like might be a Lotus and Ford GT. About 19 hours remaining as of midnight UK time.

Official live video feed from IMSA: http://www.imsa.com/camera/imsatv#imsa-tv-timing-scoring

There's an app as well but I haven't managed to get it to work properly.

Usual Radio Le Mans coverage.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Me too. Can't seem to get this to stream to the Chromecast which is FRUSTRATING!

Class structure was confusing me but I found it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WeatherTech_SportsCar_Championship#Class_structure

There are four different classes in the United SportsCar Championship series, featuring two sports prototype categories and two grand tourer classes:

• Prototype (P): the flagship class, combining Grand-Am's Daytona Prototype with the American Le Mans Series P2 prototypes and the DeltaWing, built to 2014 specifications.
  • Prototype Challenge (PC): a spec class carried over directly from the American Le Mans Series, featuring Le Mans Prototype Challenge cars built by Oreca with engines supplied by Chevrolet and tires from Continental.
  • GT Le Mans (GTLM): a continuation of the ALMS GT class, consisting of cars matching the Automobile Club de l'Ouest's GTE specification.
  • GT Daytona (GTD): a class that combines the Grand-Am GT & GX classes with the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup cars from the ALMS GTC class and cars built to FIA GT3 specifications.
Prototypes are the ones that look like 1990s Le Mans Group C cars. Prototype Challenge are the ones that look like the older open-top LMP2 cars. GTs are the ones that look like road cars but I haven't worked out which are GTLM and which are GTD. GTD I think are the ones that don't comply to Le Mans GTE spec, so it's the Viper, Audi R8, Lambo. 42 cars out in total, I think.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Looks like that Daytona Prototype class is a deliberately backward type of car to keep the speeds (and cost) down. Tube chassis and basic aero, no carbon tubs. Probably explains why they don't get away from the GT cars like LMP1 do. Prototype Challenge can hardly make passes at all, and I can't quite work out where the Ligier P2 fits in because it's a full carbon downforce current LMP2 car. Unless they've just shoved a Corvette engine in to make it fit in the class?

Anyway. 9 hours left as of 10:30, still dark, dawn should be breaking pretty soon.

Soldato
The US class structure is a mess because they've still got cars from Grand-Am and ALMS competing since they 'merged' a couple of years ago and they won't bite the bullet and fully combine the regs. Grand-Am Took the typical US approach to sports, did their own thing, made their own regs with little regard to what the rest of the world were doing. ALMS was more outward looking and more closely mirrored the technical regs/classes adopted by sportcar racing globally.

The DP cars are the Grand-Am prototypes that bear no technical resemblance to anything racing anywhere else. Their days are numbered but the powers that be wont let them die. The GTP cars are from ALMS and are basically LMP2 cars. The two sets of cars are supposed to be competing in the same class on a level playing field but the regs seem to have allowed the DPs to maintain an advantage which sees pretty much every race won by a DP car. The PC is a low cost spec class which pads out the field with additional LMP2 style cars.

GTLM (ALMS) and GTD (Grand-Am) are the GT classes from each series. The cars are very similar in appearance however have various differences in what is/isnt allowed. GTLM is basically the same spec as GT3. GTD is the US based GT class which needs to go away but, as with the DPs, people with money tied up in the cars won't let it happen.

Soldato
The US class structure is a mess because they've still got cars from Grand-Am and ALMS competing since they 'merged' a couple of years ago and they won't bite the bullet and fully combine the regs. Grand-Am Took the typical US approach to sports, did their own thing, made their own regs with little regard to what the rest of the world were doing. ALMS was more outward looking and more closely mirrored the technical regs/classes adopted by sportcar racing globally.

The DP cars are the Grand-Am prototypes that bear no technical resemblance to anything racing anywhere else. Their days are numbered but the powers that be wont let them die. The GTP cars are from ALMS and are basically LMP2 cars. The two sets of cars are supposed to be competing in the same class on a level playing field but the regs seem to have allowed the DPs to maintain an advantage which sees pretty much every race won by a DP car. The PC is a low cost spec class which pads out the field with additional LMP2 style cars.

GTLM (ALMS) and GTD (Grand-Am) are the GT classes from each series. The cars are very similar in appearance however have various differences in what is/isnt allowed. GTLM is basically the same spec as GT3. GTD is the US based GT class which needs to go away but, as with the DPs, people with money tied up in the cars won't let it happen.

GTLM is based around the Le Mans GTE spec which is the old GT2 class.

Back
Top Bottom