Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Looking at the Sportful NoRain or the Castelli Nanoflex.

Can recommend the Sportful Norain, even though the 'NoRain' doesn't last more than a couple of months with regular usage they, still provide more protection than standard lycra. The internal tags are in an annoying place - they're also sewn into the seams so you can't cut them out 'fully', only 'back'. But I believe the Castelli also suffer from this. I've learnt to cope with this (doesn't bug me enough to resew my seams) and am happy to recommend them! :cool:

I've got short legs so I wear my knee warmers as leg warmers... 1-2" of overlap with my shorts and they finish 1" above my shoe line. Wearing boots they're perfect!

Will do, I hopefully won't get too confused as my Gran Fondo has Di2 so swapping between the two could be amusing. I'm sure it will be ok :o

Hahaha, good luck with that! Even more interested in your experience - as you have the direct comparison! ;)

Mate that's the sex. The SRAM electric stuff demo I saw was so slick. It looks really well set up. That bike will be a machine.

Don't tell me you're tempted... Already! ;)

Do you foam roll and stretch?

Anyone got any guides/info on this? I hardly do any stretching and no rolling and probably should...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
God that sucked. Pretty much all 5000ft of climbing were in a 30 mile stretch. I was pretty close to throwing my toys out of the pram then it hit rush hour traffic. Now I'm waiting for a train at Worcester :p

Hilariously slow average speed too :(

Soldato
Anyone use prescription cycling glasses? I have used contacts in the past with a cheap generic pair of cycling glasses but I have always found contacts difficult to use, uncomfortable and just generally not nice, compared to wearing glasses.

Local optician do Oakleys, but I'll be looking at £300 + probably, so was thinking of Optilabs or ordering them online, was wondering if anyone has a pair of presciption Oakleys or other brands and if the price premium is actually worth it?

Not at all fussed as to how they look, but the Optilabs pairs will be around £250.

Soldato
I was worried about the brakes too I have to admit, but after some research I found out they updated them and it was a big improvement but if I don't like them I will buy a set of Fouriers. Apparently it sorts it all out.

Interesting. Never herd of Fouriers. I wonder if those brakes will fit my BMC (also has aero V-brake).

Tip, I had to put a 25mm compression spring over the cable in-between the V-brakes. The spring pushes them away from each other so helps remove slack in the brake cable. The BMC noodle is so tight it has difficulty getting back to starter position. I don’t think the Giant noodle angle is that bad so it might be ok.

But for the sake of a £1 spring you can get on ebay…..cheaper than what Fouriers seem to sell!

Soldato
God that sucked. Pretty much all 5000ft of climbing were in a 30 mile stretch. I was pretty close to throwing my toys out of the pram then it hit rush hour traffic. Now I'm waiting for a train at Worcester :p

Hilariously slow average speed too :(

Not that bad considering mate! Well ridden, things have got a little more gusty here this afternoon, how did you find it weather wise?

I'm trying to will the rain away tomorrow morning so I can go out...!

Why did you stop in Worcester? Had enough? Traffic? Darkness? :o

Told you to avoid the Wrekin ;)

EDIT: Bit of a higher average ;)

Soldato
Will do, I hopefully won't get too confused as my Gran Fondo has Di2 so swapping between the two could be amusing. I'm sure it will be ok :o

How come you didn't go Di2 again, strange decision if you've already got one bike with it.

Same here. Interested in what knee warmers you bought.

Looking at the Sportful NoRain or the Castelli Nanoflex.

Only arms and Legs, all the No Rain stuff and some thermoflex, already got the nanoflex, but was cheaper and had less gawdy advertising! Assos bibs turned up today with some gloves from CRC, but think I'm going to return both sets of gloves.

Soldato
Interesting. Never herd of Fouriers. I wonder if those brakes will fit my BMC (also has aero V-brake).

Tip, I had to put a 25mm compression spring over the cable in-between the V-brakes. The spring pushes them away from each other so helps remove slack in the brake cable. The BMC noodle is so tight it has difficulty getting back to starter position. I don’t think the Giant noodle angle is that bad so it might be ok.

But for the sake of a £1 spring you can get on ebay…..cheaper than what Fouriers seem to sell!

Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure the problem has been solved or not but the standard brakes used to force you into using 23mm tyres, hopefully the updates ones have fixed that.

Soldato
Anyone use prescription cycling glasses? I have used contacts in the past with a cheap generic pair of cycling glasses but I have always found contacts difficult to use, uncomfortable and just generally not nice, compared to wearing glasses.

Local optician do Oakleys, but I'll be looking at £300 + probably, so was thinking of Optilabs or ordering them online, was wondering if anyone has a pair of presciption Oakleys or other brands and if the price premium is actually worth it?

Not at all fussed as to how they look, but the Optilabs pairs will be around £250.

I run prescription glasses on the bike. I got some fake oakleys for £20 that comes with the prescription lens insert. Got them direct from China, I then used Ciliary Blue in the UK to glaze the insert with my prescription for £15. I also do mountain biking so that way I am only risking £35 with them and I find them totally fine to use and I have different colour lenses too for winter and summer.

Soldato
I run prescription glasses on the bike. I got some fake oakleys for £20 that comes with the prescription lens insert. Got them direct from China, I then used Ciliary Blue in the UK to glaze the insert with my prescription for £15. I also do mountain biking so that way I am only risking £35 with them and I find them totally fine to use and I have different colour lenses too for winter and summer.

That's awesome, any chance you could link to where you got the glasses? Bargain!

Soldato
Anyone got any guides/info on this? I hardly do any stretching and no rolling and probably should...

I was getting really sore ITB/hip flexors last year, did some of the stuff from these pages and chucked in a few more as well. It's all cleared up now and I feel my core strength has gone up a fair bit.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/article/izn20140807-Physiotherapy-Foam-Roller-Routine-0
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/article/izn20130617-Phil-Burt-s-Big-Four-0
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/article/izn20130617-Busting-The-Core-Myth-0

Currently do like a light workout at home 2-3 times a week including stuff like goblet squats, RDL, esentric decline quarter squats, planks, side planks, press-ups, pull ups n stuff. A pt mate showed me some pretty cool hip flexor exercises but I've not idea what they are called.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not that bad considering mate! Well ridden, things have got a little more gusty here this afternoon, how did you find it weather wise?

I'm trying to will the rain away tomorrow morning so I can go out...!

Why did you stop in Worcester? Had enough? Traffic? Darkness? :o

Told you to avoid the Wrekin ;)

EDIT: Bit of a higher average ;)

Oooo a Hereford guy :) Where do you ride? Just got my first road bike and looking for decent routes.

Soldato
Had a proper sense of failure humour today, rode out to meet my mates bit later than normal due to the rain, met up about 11, was trying to make the most of the changeable wind conditions to go East, got about 33 miles in, started to rain a bit, went to do my zip up and it came clean off.

Add this to my hands that had frozen, and my feet that were on their way, and I was not a happy chappie, my friend said the words that came out of my mouth either began with f or c, nothing else :p

Had the jacket about 2 weeks, so that is going back (castelli squadra) good jacket though so will order another I think, as need something practical for Majorca, just don't think it works well with big chunky gloves on.

Had a good stop though at a pizza restaurant! Demolished whole pizza and a couple of hot chocolates and dried out a bit. Then back home with the tailwind, well after sellotaping myself up to stop the flapping around and keeping a bit of warmth in!

As we came out of the restaurant, cyclist was sat outside, noticed he was wearing rapha, so as I was with 2 guys in full on Rapha, I said aren't you going to say goodbye to your new mate, he just looked at me with the most unhappy face, explained the joke, and he said nothing. Can't cheer some people up eh! :p

https://www.strava.com/activities/492644978

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom