What to replace a MX518

Caporegime
I ve been using these mice since.... At least ten years. I bought a second one to replace the first, but all it needed was a good cleaning and it was as good as new. These things are indestructible.. I thought.

Im not sure what is going on in Windows 10, a recent update has basically rendered my beloved mice obsolete. They are constantly disconnecting and reconnecting. I can do it just by picking them up and rolling them back and forth. Its like the cables are heavily damaged.

I've spent a lot of time searching for the issue on google, reinstalled a lot of drivers, turned off a lot of USB ports and or their features (Asus z170 Pro gamer) and they still do not work reliably.
Most Discussion talks about power saving issues or lack of USB3 port compatibility in windows 10. I think its a lot of crap.

1 article i read talked about how Windows 10 is handling interruptions in tracking in a recent update and now reporting them as the device being attached/detached. It makes sense to me, these are very old mice.
These issues did really only start happening in the past 3 weeks.

Anyway im done trying to find the reason or fix the issue. I'm in the market for a new mouse. What could replace the MX518. I play FPS and MMOS. I have Large hands. I would like something similar in size to MX518 the weight could be less. the MX518 was like a brick.

Options ? All help is appreciated.

Caporegime
OP
Oh nice I was torn between the g402 and the g502 looked even better... Was on sale at my shop of choice too so got one to try... If it's too heavy I'll get a 402.

Can't believe how much the mouse market has grown....

Soldato
I feel for you brother. My MX518 still functions but after Win 10 anniversary the scroll wheel doesn't operate correctly. Those above have said the best Logitech replacements but a few years ago I new the impending eventual death of the 518 I started to use other mice in between so when it pushed up the daisies I won't be stuck wanting a exact replacement that will never exist. After a few months I got use to other mice. Nothing will be the same as the 518 but after time you will find others that work well and often even better. Good luck.

Soldato
got the g502 today and the mouse wheel feels horrible.

Middle click too stiff? That's the one thing that annoys me the most when trying different mice. I have an mx518 and an m510 wireless and the middle button on the m510 must be twice as hard to press compared to the mx518. I like a nice slack middle mouse me.

Caporegime
OP
I wish I got a 402 lol.
Ah well maybe I will aswell. There's an electrical store near me I discovered, like curry's or Dixon's and it carry's an insane range of PC gaming peripherals. They have literally everything on display to try out....

Soldato
Returning the g502. I've never miss clicked so much in my life. I'm gonna have to find some vintage mice.. the gf is upset with all my cursing

Strange. I've got a G502 and a G402. Both mice are great but I definitely prefer the G502. The free scroll on the scroll wheel is amazing once you get used to using it. Being able to scroll to the bottom of a web page in one fluid movement has saved me so much time and I much prefer the better control you have with the scroll wheel. You can go either really slowly or really fast and it is perfectly accurate. Not to mention that is probably has the best sensor out of any mouse available at the moment.

Associate
This is turning into a group meeting of everyone who still owns and uses a MX518.

Hi I'm Chevalier, I've been an MX518 user for 10 years. When it eventually dies, I plan on being buried along side it in the garden.

In all seriousness I have been looking at new mice for a while and still don't know what I will do when it finally gives up.

Associate
Returning the g502. I've never miss clicked so much in my life. I'm gonna have to find some vintage mice.. the gf is upset with all my cursing

Try the g403. Its light at 90 grams and has the option to add a weight for 100 grams. Remove the weight door and its even lighter. Had the g502 and hated it. To heavy and i hated the ledge where your ring finger rests. kinda curves outwards

Back
Top Bottom