Asus ROG Gaming Strix X99

Caporegime
I thought my old mobo was pretty good, the Gigabyte SOC Force but this Asus is amazing!

I upgraded while I was upgrading my water cooling loop as I wanted usb 3.1 and other new features.

But the overclocking potential is amazing.

On the Gigabyte I only managed to get my 5820K to 4.4Ghz and just settled that as an early buyer of the cpu, I didnt have the best overclocker.

New board, changed 3 settings and tried 4.4Ghz. No probs

SO I thought I wonder how far I can go..........

4.5 yes
4.6 yes
4.7 yes :eek:
4.8 Will boot but not 100% stable and fails during realbench but I have lots of things I can tweak to try and get it stable so I have hope.

so at the moment a 7% extra overclock for free. Also runs the memory at 3200 and 14-14-14-34 1T without hesitation.

This board is only half the price of their Rampage 5 board but has the same OC socket and power regulation and 95% of the features for half the money.

Last edited:
Associate
Third Reversion on mother board components for the x99 chip set and more mature Bios gives better overclocks. :)

Good monitor choice Greebo if you are not into Gsync

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Third Reversion on mother board components for the x99 chip set and more mature Bios gives better overclocks. :)

Good monitor choice Greebo if you are not into Gsync

well there has been 5 bios updates in the two months the board has been out so not really "mature" yet. 8pack said it was THE x99 board to buy as it has the same components as the £500 rampage board and overclocks just as well.

But the new x99 boards seem much better than the old boards at getting the best out of the memory and cpu.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
i was been lazy, i just whacked 1.3v on it. Ill try and bring it down over the next few days.

Max cpu temp is under control at 59C under stress testing anyway.

Associate
well there has been 5 bios updates in the two months the board has been out so not really "mature" yet. 8pack said it was THE x99 board to buy as it has the same components as the £500 rampage board and overclocks just as well.

But the new x99 boards seem much better than the old boards at getting the best out of the memory and cpu.

I was looking at picking up a strix and still will at some point but they seem to be having a lot of failures if you read up on customer reviews on one of the big USA retailers.

Associate
bought one of these on release its been trouble free for me. im not really a fan of asus but If im honest I think its maybe the best motherboard I have used the bios layout & explanation of what things do is the best I have seen

Associate
I get a "B" GRADE X99 strix version 2 back today as mine fried after 3 months of use and it seems to be the exact same issue they had with the version 1 deluxe 2 years ago . I have researched and the problem doesn't seem to be as widespread as before but it still exists . My main worry is that in 100% of circumstances like mine the board takes the CPU out with it which is going to cause hassle as no one is going to want to take responsibility for a 650 quid paperweight . But anyway just wanted to let you guys know that even though the problem isnt on such a big scale this time , the problem still exists and is a factor to consider . I will post again once built up and let you know if the CPU fried or not

Associate
I get a "B" GRADE X99 strix version 2 back today as mine fried after 3 months of use and it seems to be the exact same issue they had with the version 1 deluxe 2 years ago . I have researched and the problem doesn't seem to be as widespread as before but it still exists . My main worry is that in 100% of circumstances like mine the board takes the CPU out with it which is going to cause hassle as no one is going to want to take responsibility for a 650 quid paperweight . But anyway just wanted to let you guys know that even though the problem isnt on such a big scale this time , the problem still exists and is a factor to consider . I will post again once built up and let you know if the CPU fried or not

Hope it will be fine! I'm going to bin a few units of 5820k's next week on the strix be hearing this make me considering bringing back my old x99 oc formula.

Associate
I am exceedingly happy to report that the CPU is fine and dandy : ) It seems Asus have learnt well from their past mistakes and added extra protection to the components connected to the CPU. This makes me a happy bunny and once again Overclockers came through with a fast service so I wasn't affected for very long . Cheers OC you guys rock .
Also @ abui I have to say apart from it frying I absolutely love the strix board its so well laid out in a physical sense and also the sheer amount of settings you can play with . I wouldnt let what happened to me put you off using it for checking chips as long as youre on the latest bios

Back
Top Bottom