Weird landing light problem

Soldato
Can anyone help?

A week ago the bulb went in our landing light at the top of the stairs, when I removed it I noticed it wasn't a conventional fitting like all the rest in the house, I've since determined it is a G24Q-1 bulb fitting. I went to Tesco and got 2 bulbs.

Initially, the light would come on and then go off again after a few seconds, flicking the switch off and back on would produce the same result.

I thought it may have been a duff bulb so I used the second one - Same thing!

I've now got to the stage where I thought I would replace the fitting, on one of the places I was looking at, it states the following:

The Lampholder is designed to European standards and has a diameter of 42mm,
which is larger than the typical Lampholder which is 29mm.

A Safety feature which protects the installation will disconnect the supply to the Lampholder:-
During a lamp change, when no lamp is present, or in the case of lamp failure at the end of lamp life.
This Safety feature is reset by switching the supply to the fitting off for 10 to 15 seconds.

I've just called the mrs (I'm at work) and she's tried flicking the upstairs light switch in the house's fusebox, once for 10 secs and once for a minute but apparently it's still doing it.

Is there anything else we can try?

Soldato
Do these bulbs have the starter in the fitting rather than in the bulb?

(Does the bulb say "to be used with external starter" or similar?)

It sounds like it's the starter that is failing rather than the bulb.

Associate
pendant has probably failed
screwfix used to do them, but couldn't find one listed
from tlc

Crabtree
6" Low Energy Pendant Set
The design of the Lampholder accepts an industry standard 4 pin 10,13 and 18W G24q1 and q2 lamp.
This reduces the power consumption, when compared to an equivalent incandescent lamp, by up to 80%.

The Lampholder is designed to European standards and has a diameter of 42mm,
which is larger than the typical Lampholder which is 29mm.

A Safety feature which protects the installation will disconnect the supply to the Lampholder:-
During a lamp change, when no lamp is present, or in the case of lamp failure at the end of lamp life.
This Safety feature is reset by switching the supply to the fitting off for 10 to 15 seconds.

Lampshade fixing 42mm diameter.

EDIT does your bathroom and kitchen have large 2d cfl bulbs 4 pin d shaped, the starter units can fail , I've had 4 fail in 5 years, I'll dig out the addy of a cheap supplier, as they're very hard to find

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks all for the replies. Not sure what CFL means?

It's weird, the house was built in summer 2009, this landing light bulb is the only type of this kind in the entire house! The rest are normal ones.

If I were to buy a 'normal' pendant fixing, could I not just swap it out?

Soldato
Since it's the landing, can you get to the fitting from the loft?

CFL = compact fluorescent light

i.e. it's a fluorescent tube but in a small package so that it fits into approx the space of a normal bulb

Soldato
For some strange reason when my apartment was built, 2004, they fitted this type of bulb in the main bedroom and one of the two hallway lights. All the others are bayonet fittings.

My bedroom one exhibits exactly the same behaviour as the OP.

Soldato
For some strange reason when my apartment was built, 2004, they fitted this type of bulb in the main bedroom and one of the two hallway lights. All the others are bayonet fittings.

My bedroom one exhibits exactly the same behaviour as the OP.

It was/is a 'requirement' for new homes to have X of these, because at the time at least nobody wanted CFL's because they're awful so they forced them on new homes or some similar hippy green wording :p

Soldato
OP
I'm going to investigate this tonight, I read all these posts (thank you) and I also spoke to a friend who knows such things.

Firstly I noticed the new bulbs I bought are 42W - The ceiling socket is rated to a maximum of 13W so I've got a couple of bulbs coming.

Secondly, I've taken apart the pendant and the rose just has live, neutral and earth, with live and neutral going down into the pendant so my mate reckons the 'safety feature' switch is within the pendant. So as a backup, I've got a replacement one of these being delivered today as well!

I'll keep you posted and thanks to everyone for their replies.

Back
Top Bottom