Difference between 2 M.2 SSDs

Associate
Hi there,

So I'm looking into building a rather large machine for work, and was looking at the 1tb M.2 SSDs, specifically the Samsung SM961 and the Samsung PM961 (links below).

Basically, there's an £80 difference between them, and I was just wondering what that's for? One has slightly higher Read and Write speeds, but not exceptionally, and one has higher IOPS... but does that really make such a difference?

Secondly, I'm looking to put one of these into a Supermicro MBD-X10DAI-O motherboard, and whilst I have been adcived that the more expensive one is compatible, I don't know about the cheaper one.

So, questions are;
  • Is the more expensive one worth it?
  • Is the cheaper one compatible with the Supermicro MBD-X10DAI-O?

Really appreciate the help, have never used an M.2 SSD before!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...3.0-x-4-nvme-solid-state-drive-hd-226-sa.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...3.0-x-4-nvme-solid-state-drive-hd-22f-sa.html

Associate
OP
Ones higher performance and of a higher grade you would only need the more expensive one for a workstation scenario.

Hi there,

Thanks, this is for a workstation, but I'm still not really sure if the price is justified for the extra performance. Doesn't seem to me like you would notice the increase

Associate
Yeah you probably will not in most tasks other than those bottle necked by storage speed so maybe very very intense video playback. The cheaper drive should be fine all NVME drives follow the same standard so i would assume it would be compatible if in doubt maybe email a supermicro person or the support person im sure it will be fine though.

Associate
OP
Alright fab, thanks chaps.

This would be going in a video encoding machine, but all the video will be located either on an internal RAID0, a USB 3 drive or a thunderbolt drive, so this SSD will only be for the OS and apps. Think I'll stick to the cheaper one.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom