Hydronaut application.... very difficult!

Soldato
Has anyone tried the spread method with this stuff, as the instructions tell you? It's so thick and sticky that it's near impossible!?

image.jpg

Associate
That's similar to how mine looked apart from mine being a bit thinner.

It's been a couple of months and the temps are fine so I'd not worry.

Soldato
Worked fine for me with the little tool you get in the bag to help spread it. To get it a little less vicious I just warmed it up by rolling the tube between my hands for a few moments. Spread pretty smoothly after that.

Soldato
Reminds me of Phobya Hegrease. That stuff is the same really thick and a bit gritty lol. I'd leave it how you've spread it and put another pea sized blob in the middle and tighten down the cooler to spread it.

Soldato
OP
I did manage it in the end... I think all the spreading warmed it up a bit which helped. Obviously had got a bit cold sitting in my drawer, but the hot water tip is a good one... I'll definitely do that next time! I have a block to fit on my GPU... I presume I can use the Hyrdronaut for that also?

Man of Honour
I applied Kryonaut to my cpu and gpu a couple of weeks ago and found it to spread easily using the screw on applicator. I didn't warm it up before use either. I did read on here that warming the paste up before use can help although I completely forgot about that because after 4 days of downtime I just wanted to get up and running again. It's good stuff though and gave me a couple of degrees drop compared to the Gelid GC Extreme I was using previously.

Associate
I've had exactly the same problem as OP! Found it a nightmare to spread, I even tried warming the tube up a bit but didn't help either.

Got a couple new tubes of the stuff, I'll try the Hot water tip, hopefully I'll have better luck spreading it

Soldato
I can only say for Kryonaut rather than Hydronaut but I found that speed made a lot of difference. If you try to spread it fast it sort of tears like you've got in your picture and doesn't stick to the surface. Spread it slower and with a little downwards pressure (the rubber nozzle lets you apply a little but not a lot) and it spreads onto the surface rather than just being scraped off it.

Associate
Similar to Cenedd I found speed , or a lack of helped.

I always felt I was applying far too much but it seems to work better than my past Paste so ... :)

I will certainly try the "get it warm first" theory next time.

Back
Top Bottom