Just got my new amp

Soldato
RLVBf0K.jpg

So i was using an Asus STX that gave up on me.

Decided to try a tube amp got a tight budget so got a Little Dot MkII with matched 6N6P+6J1P-EV tubes.

Using a Fiio E10K as a dac which i might upgrade in the future.

Biggest sound difference is how much more depth and texture the music has now, vocals especially sound more thick. Overall sound feels more relaxed vs solid state.

Very happy, All this stuff was purchased second hand, about £245 total over the space of a few months.

Fiio E10K > Lillte Dot MKII > HD600

Associate
Nice, I really like the Little Dot amps, they don't get a lot of praise these days. The M8161+ Little MKII is still one of the best set ups for vocals I've heard regardless of price.

Soldato
OP
Nice, I really like the Little Dot amps, they don't get a lot of praise these days. The M8161+ Little MKII is still one of the best set ups for vocals I've heard regardless of price.

very happy for what i paid (£80 with those matched Russian tubes)

I think im done with upgrading now, to get something that is vastly better is going to be too much money.

Associate
Just reading up on the Mullard and it seems right up my street. What Power Tubes did you go with?

The Electro Harmonix golds but I did also think the stock power tubes are sufficient and didn't change the sound as much as the driver tubes. I'd say the Golds added a dash more body and smoothness but it's really hard to say.

The two best Mullards to use for the LD amps are the M8100 and M8161.

M8100 has a rough treble but the mids are thick, good vocal presence and nice dash of warmth. Bass is thumpy, full and juicy.

M8161 have a smoother treble, more intimate in the vocals but have a more airy character, vocals have a bit more clarity and sounded more realistic. Bass is present, not as thick and doesn't bleed into the mids as much.

Soldato
OP
The Electro Harmonix golds but I did also think the stock power tubes are sufficient and didn't change the sound as much as the driver tubes. I'd say the Golds added a dash more body and smoothness but it's really hard to say.

The two best Mullards to use for the LD amps are the M8100 and M8161.

M8100 has a rough treble but the mids are thick, good vocal presence and nice dash of warmth. Bass is thumpy, full and juicy.

M8161 have a smoother treble, more intimate in the vocals but have a more airy character, vocals have a bit more clarity and sounded more realistic. Bass is present, not as thick and doesn't bleed into the mids as much.

Im using some Russian Power Tubes and although good i get some pops and stuff every 15 minutes or so.

Back
Top Bottom