Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Man of Honour
Dunno if it makes any difference but have you installed the nVidia HD Audio drivers?

You should see 2-4 monitor relevant audio devices (one for each port that can do audio) some people have said they have to disable all the entries of those except the one they are using to get audio to work.

Last edited:
Associate
Question for other owners. I notice in Windows 10 the monitor is listed as an audio output. However no audio comes out over display port (I checked in OSD the volume is at 100). As far as I'm aware DP carries audio as well as picture, am I missing a setting somewhere?

I had the same problem. Scroll down to bottom right of your screen. Right click speaker icon and press sounds. Click on playback settings and play with settings. Eventually you will get one that's yours. Hope that helps.

Associate
I returned my A01 model to Debenhams Plus yesterday, they sent somebody to pick it up. They just need to confirm the fault with the HDMI and I should get a refund.

So I purchased directly from Dell on my credit card whilst I await the refund, it arrived today. It's an A03 and I can confirm the HDMI works! However there is a small cluster of 6-7 dead pixels. Now I see them I cannot unsee them. I'll need to contact Dell tomorrow, I have the advanced warranty and base warranty. I should get a brand new one sent out shouldn't I?

unnamed_zpspv2rukgu.jpg

Associate
Whats the Dells TN panel viewing angles like? I'm hoping to get a monitor which can also replace the TV in my bedroom.

I've tried faffing about with 144Hz IPS monitors. Motion clarity in games never looked as 'clear' as it does on my older 1080p 144Hz and having tried a few now I think it might be due to the IPS panel. How do these 8bit TNs stack up compared to to an 144Hz IPS in colours/quality?

Man of Honour
Colour is good on the Dell TN with some minor tweaking - obviously viewing angles won't match an IPS. I've managed to get fairly natural looking colours from mine - blues aren't quite 100% accurate but close (unfortunately seem to lack enough granularity to get it dead on either undershooting or overshooting slightly) reds lack the detail and saturation of my Dell IPS but way better than most/all other TNs I've used.

I've got the S2716DG sitting beside a Dell U2913WM which is one of the better IPS panels and has been calibrated by someone who knows what they are doing and aslong as I'm sitting dead on to the S2716DG its really not that far off.

Last edited:
Soldato
Whats the Dells TN panel viewing angles like? I'm hoping to get a monitor which can also replace the TV in my bedroom.

I've tried faffing about with 144Hz IPS monitors. Motion clarity in games never looked as 'clear' as it does on my older 1080p 144Hz and having tried a few now I think it might be due to the IPS panel. How do these 8bit TNs stack up compared to to an 144Hz IPS in colours/quality?

Viewing angle/s are pretty much as for any TN panel really. So unless you are going to be viewing "straight on" then probably not the panel for you.

As per Rroff. The colours are not too bad if the panel is calibrated decently. But I've always found that, to a certain degree, this is a bit subjective. One person's "great colours" are another person's "far to bright" etc.

Best if you can find someone with this monitor and have a look yourself.

Good luck.

Associate
Only had mine since Wednesday its a AO3 model says manufactured in July 2016 on the box all i can say is WOW.

Set it up with the color profile linked in here changed a few other things but coming from my wee 1080p 22 inch acer it is most defiantly night and day. Playing BF4 at 144HZ i actually started laughing to myself at hoW much it changed the game for me,and with the resolution bump games like Rise of the Tomb Raider look unreal.

So all in all a excellent Monitor highly recommended.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the comments on how this screen looks. Was just a little worried as I've been trying IPS monitors out lately and am pretty disappointed with my 1080p TN. Out of curiosity do all these 1440p/144Hz TN monitors (both Gsync and Freesync ones) use a pretty similar panel?

And finally, do the frequently lame black Friday deals ever knock anything off monitors? Even if £50 or so is knocked off I'd rather wait so I don't feel as bad for emptying my wallet :D

Man of Honour
Thanks for the comments on how this screen looks. Was just a little worried as I've been trying IPS monitors out lately and am pretty disappointed with my 1080p TN. Out of curiosity do all these 1440p/144Hz TN monitors (both Gsync and Freesync ones) use a pretty similar panel?

And finally, do the frequently lame black Friday deals ever knock anything off monitors? Even if £50 or so is knocked off I'd rather wait so I don't feel as bad for emptying my wallet :D

Hard to say on the black friday aspect - the only one that was really good was I think 2013 - every year since they've got kind of lame.

Soldato
What color profiles are people using for the Monitor and for the Nvidia control panel ?
Any help would be good thanks.

Most people are using the settings and the ICC profile from TFTcentral as a starting point.

Obviously it's either an ICC profile, or adjust the colour via the Nvidia control panel. As they are mutually exclusive.

Good luck.

Associate
Hi everyone, I am trying to get my monitor to the optimal settings for gaming without banding issues, I can't seem to do it.

I am using the ICC from TFTCentral with monitor brightness at 26 and contrast at 75. What settings if any should I look to use on Nvida control panel? If any?

Or are there better settings out there? I see this has been asked above but no actual settings posted so I am just wondering really what are people using that seems to solve banding but has great gaming colours?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi everyone, I am trying to get my monitor to the optimal settings for gaming without banding issues, I can't seem to do it.

I am using the ICC from TFTCentral with monitor brightness at 26 and contrast at 75. What settings if any should I look to use on Nvida control panel? If any?

Or are there better settings out there? I see this has been asked above but no actual settings posted so I am just wondering really what are people using that seems to solve banding but has great gaming colours?

It's a icc profile OR the nvidia colour controls (ie. They are mutually exclusive). If the profile from tft central does not suit, then it's a matter of either play around with a combination of the osd controls and the nvidia colour controls ... Or get the right equipment to calibrate it correctly. Unluckily, there is no silver bullet.

Good luck

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm not using an ICC profile - I've not touched the contrast in OSD or any digital vibrance in software, etc. otherwise these are my settings:

0.75 Gamma in NVCP (some monitors work best with 0.86 to 0.92 but I had to go lower with mine)
30% Brightness (adjust to taste)
99%, 99%, 96% R, G, B user colours

minimal banding, colours look natural - not quite 100% accurate but close enough unless you are doing colour critical work.

Associate
So I've had a few days now with my new Dell and 1070, and wow what a difference it has made. Managed to bag an A03 revision for about £480 and it has been worth every penny.

Apart from a few hiccups (which may or may not have just been me being silly :D) its been easy to setup and all my games just feel so much better. PS4 also looks pretty sharp on it too, and I like the simple fact that I can have a DP and HDMI device plugged in and switch with ease.

Definitely a sound buy for the price!

Back
Top Bottom