New Discovery

Man of Honour
Well overdue - the current Discovery has been out what, 12 years? I know they changed the 3 to a 4 and pretended it was all new but it's basically the same car isnt it?

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;30056847 said:
Well overdue - the current Discovery has been out what, 12 years? I know they changed the 3 to a 4 and pretended it was all new but it's basically the same car isnt it?

I think quite a lot changed other than the chassis. The Sport also had a change around that time too but that was replaced after 4 years with a brand new car whereas its been 7 years on the Discovery.

Man of Honour
I took one of the brand new Range Rovers out for a test drive a few weeks back. It had everything on it options wise, I think the sticker prices was an astonishing 130K or similar but the toys and interior were epic, a real thing of beauty.....but what an awful thing to drive and why people would have one of these over something saloon like when they never go near rough stuff or need the ground clearance is beyond me. Not for me I guess, just thought good god no, have it back.

Soldato
The front is trying to be all rounded (feminine?) and the back is trying to be square.

How do they get the styling so right with the Range Rover and so wrong with the rest?

Soldato
OP
I took one of the brand new Range Rovers out for a test drive a few weeks back. It had everything on it options wise, I think the sticker prices was an astonishing 130K or similar but the toys and interior were epic, a real thing of beauty.....but what an awful thing to drive and why people would have one of these over something saloon like when they never go near rough stuff or need the ground clearance is beyond me. Not for me I guess, just thought good god no, have it back.

Really? I think they're brilliant to drive as a cruiser.

Man of Honour
Really? I think they're brilliant to drive as a cruiser.

To be fair I've not really much experience of big 4x4 vehicles as they have never really floated my boat, but friends who have them rave about them, talk about them as if they are the best all round car in the world. I just find them too big and ungainly and a nice S Class or 7 Series is more suited to a use profile I would have. I don't need to be high up, or go off road really, so a lower down and tighter driver would be more me.

Gorgeous to behold though.

Soldato
Looks okay to me. The colours they have there are pretty awful though, but I'm sure there will be a colour that sits right. I have put off a Disco for the last few years as I knew this would be out at some point. At least the pricing looks comparable to the current range.

To be fair I've not really much experience of big 4x4 vehicles as they have never really floated my boat, but friends who have them rave about them, talk about them as if they are the best all round car in the world. I just find them too big and ungainly and a nice S Class or 7 Series is more suited to a use profile I would have. I don't need to be high up, or go off road really, so a lower down and tighter driver would be more me.

Gorgeous to behold though.

Sure, if your use profile dictates an S-Class or 7-Series would work, then great. Personally, I'm looking for a massive boot, and 7 seats. This will work better than my current Alhambra, lol.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looks like Walt's corrective car off Breaking Bad.

As mentioned it looks like they ran out of money to design the rear 3/4s.

Pontiac Aztek? yeah, I can see that....

It's not a looker. But the Discovery never really was, it was purposeful instead. This isn't. It's looks more like it's been designed by a committee.

Soldato
I think in general it looks great. The back end is slightly off though, and it's a shame all the Land Rover & Range Rover front ends are starting to look very much the same.

We had a 4 for a while. Fantastic car, but too big for our needs and the air suspension gave me motion sickness.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;30057428 said:
No decent engine in the disco either, are they not all 4 cylinder diesel?

Indeed. Though hard to gauge really, depends on use maybe. Like school run mums care about engines ;)

Though given recent history of the company, there's likely to be a bigger/better option down the line and then a silly SVR.

Back
Top Bottom