Military coup in Turkey?

Man of Honour
Wasn't it these Al Nusra scum that cut the head off a kid on the back of a small pick up truck?

Might have been Al Nusra front can't remember - there has been various reorganisation of the groups depending on how they aligned or not with IS.

Jabhat al Nusra have basically done what IS did - split off from AQ and renamed themselves towards their new goal of making Syria eventually part of the caliphate. (I think they are more working on the state/republic angle first off but all roads eventually lead to the caliphate thing).

Last edited:
Soldato
Might have been Al Nusra front can't remember - there has been various reorganisation of the groups depending on how they aligned or not with IS.

Jabhat al Nusra have basically done what IS did - split off from AQ and renamed themselves towards their new goal of making Syria eventually part of the caliphate. (I think they are more working on the state/republic angle first off but all roads eventually lead to the caliphate thing).

I have recently been watching The Caliph on Aljazeera TV.

http://interactive.aljazeera.com/aje/2016/the-caliph-islamic-history/

Very good watch.

Soldato
Worrying news. Nuclear armaments are held there i believe too.

Imagine being in the US armed forces stationed there and suddenly " Yeah there are 7,000 armored police completely surrounding the base" :eek:

Soldato
That is gonna have some people nervous :S

It is strange also that we don't seem to get this news on UK news channels. I am presuming that base is going to have a lot of US personnel on it and UK, a bit strange to not be reporting on it.

Man of Honour
It is strange also that we don't seem to get this news on UK news channels. I am presuming that base is going to have a lot of US personnel on it and UK, a bit strange to not be reporting on it.

From what I can make out it seems to be a bit of a mix up (atleast I hope so) - Turkish police bolstered security presence with impending "VIP" arrival seems to have triggered fears of another coup resulting in renewed build up of civilians protesters "concerned citizens" outside which has resulted in increased build up of police to manage it.

AFAIK the Turkish maintain the outer perimeter and there is a hardened inner perimeter defended by just over 2000 US personnel plus a bit over double that in US operational forces and the UK, German, etc. compliments that are a few hundred each.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Worrying news. Nuclear armaments are held there i believe too.

Imagine being in the US armed forces stationed there and suddenly " Yeah there are 7,000 armored police completely surrounding the base" :eek:

They'd be pretty silly to try... every country in NATO would be on the case if Turkey went full Islamist and tried to seize the nukes. They're guarded by US personnel in reinforced bunkers. There are US marines on standby in Italy for general reaction to pretty much anything the US needs them for (since the Bengazi attacks basically). So there would be ground troops there pretty quickly and plenty of air support.

Man of Honour
They'd be pretty silly to try...

I can't really see them trying it - AFAIK there is around 30 B61 and about a dozen misc all unguided - while Turkey has the aircraft that can be reconfigured to use them it would take them quite a bit of time to rework everything to support using them - and it isn't like they'd just be left to do what they pleased in the mean time with nuclear warheads.

(Plus as you said the defensive forces are heavily dug in and capable of holding off a ground assault until reinforcements arrive from the med).

Soldato
From what I can make out it seems to be a bit of a mix up (atleast I hope so) - Turkish police bolstered security presence with impending "VIP" arrival seems to have triggered fears of another coup resulting in renewed build up of civilians protesters "concerned citizens" outside which has resulted in increased build up of police to manage it.

AFAIK the Turkish maintain the outer perimeter and there is a hardened inner perimeter defended by just over 2000 US personnel plus a bit over double that in US operational forces and the UK, German, etc. compliments that are a few hundred each.

Thanks, hopefully it will die off unless it already has, one thing though i don't see this Nato base being out the news, i have a feeling something else will spark.

Soldato
They'd be pretty silly to try... every country in NATO would be on the case if Turkey went full Islamist and tried to seize the nukes. They're guarded by US personnel in reinforced bunkers. There are US marines on standby in Italy for general reaction to pretty much anything the US needs them for (since the Bengazi attacks basically). So there would be ground troops there pretty quickly and plenty of air support.

I wonder if this is what they are trying to provoke, or similar.

Man of Honour
Turkey will do nothing to that base. The moment there's a serious credible threat the Americans will start dropping cruise missiles like its going out of fashion.

Which will be intercepted by Erdogan's new best mate Putin's S400 installation at Latakia.

I jest as the range of that installation only just covers the south part of Turkey and they simply wouldn't be able to deal with the volume of incoming missiles.

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom