Belgium in August

Associate
Whilst Bruges is a nice place to visit, I would say only for a day.

Depends on what you are doing, I have spent a week there (was on a ship in the harbour) and wasn't too bored, I wouldn't recommend it for that long though.

Only thing about driving in Belgium is the underground car parks are TINY! I have hit more than one wing mirror off of the tunnels getting in. Also remember at some junctions you give way to the right.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Sorry for the thread hijack, but what is Belgium like for driving in? I am there with work in a couple of weeks, and I cannot decide whether to use public transport or hire a car. I only speak English, and I've only ever driven in the USA or the UK
Are you staying in Brussels or will you have to travel between cities?
If you're only staying in and around Brussels, I'd recommend public transport or taxis.

Driving in Brussels is a nightmare as people are extremely aggressive and impatient. The Brussels Ring, Antwerp Ring and around Gent is also a nightmare during the week, especially during morning and evening rush hours. Expect delays up to 1 or even 2 hours if there's an accident.
Brussels rush hours are heavy but short. Friday afternoons on the R0 is just misery.

If you're here in July then school's out and everyone will have buggered off on holiday. Use Google Maps/Waze!

Don
Are you staying in Brussels or will you have to travel between cities?
If you're only staying in and around Brussels, I'd recommend public transport or taxis.

Driving in Brussels is a nightmare as people are extremely aggressive and impatient. The Brussels Ring, Antwerp Ring and around Gent is also a nightmare during the week, especially during morning and evening rush hours. Expect delays up to 1 or even 2 hours if there's an accident.
Brussels rush hours are heavy but short. Friday afternoons on the R0 is just misery.

If you're here in July then school's out and everyone will have buggered off on holiday. Use Google Maps/Waze!

Eurostar to Brussels but staying in Roeslare, heading out there in two weeks :)

Soldato
I'm driving to Luxembourg next week and fancy stopping off for a day in Bruges as I've never been. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations? Somewhere near the city centre with a car park ideally.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29558506 said:
Bruges is a wonderful city, probably the nicest place in Belgium. Its touristy for a reason!

To quote one of my favorite films:

It's a fairytale town, isn't it? How's a fairytale town not somebody's ******* thing? How can all those canals and bridges and cobbled streets and those churches, all that beautiful ******* fairytale stuff, how can that not be somebody's ******* thing, eh?

Soldato
I'm driving to Luxembourg next week and fancy stopping off for a day in Bruges as I've never been. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations? Somewhere near the city centre with a car park ideally.

Parkhotel or Martins hotel are the ones I stay in as they are pretty central. Martins is a street behind the main square. They both have private underground parking but they charge for it.

Soldato
OP
Was surprised to see my thread back on the first page lol.
Two weeks until i go, booked a tour of flanders battlefield south sailent. Has anyone been on one of the trips before? Will also do one day in Gent as it looks really nice from pics i have seen.

Soldato
Bruges is AMAZING. I was there in March and it was the highlight of our trip (we went Paris > Bruges > Amsterdam).

The tour of the Half Maan Brewery was brilliant, as was the night we spent in Le Trappiste bar.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Been to both Bruges and Ghent and highly recommend both; Bruges is beautiful, quaint, great architecture but after few days you've walked every street and a lot of places close very early. Ghent on other hand is lively and more 'happening' (in a good way).

Back
Top Bottom