Belgium in August

Soldato
Has anyone been to Gent or Bruges? Going for a festival in Kortijk in August for a day and have another two days to explore Belgium. One day will be spent in Ypres/Leper doing a WW1 battlefield/trench tour. The other day its either Gent or Bruges, having looked into it I am siding with Gent as it looks a bit more interesting/less touristy.

Anyone been to both?

N17

N17

Permabanned
Bruges is lovely, However do not dine on the main squares, as they will rip you off, failing that Rhyl is rather nice

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Definitely do Bruges and I'd recommend Brussels for a day if you have the time.

When you're in Ypres, get yourself over to the Sint Sixtus Abbey and have some Westvleteren! There's a cafe with basic but decent food and you can drink the best beer in the world. You'll need a car to get there though.
http://www.indevrede.be/home.php?lang=en

Edit, just seen you only have 2 days. Ypres and Bruges. It's all in West Flanders as well so it saves driving halfway across Belgium. Bruges is only an hour's drive from Ypres and well worth visiting. It's touristy for a reason :p

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Yeah no thanks, not going anywhere near there.
Really? Brussels is fine. Terrorists are just as likely to strike in the other major cities to be honest. The same could be said of the UK or anywhere in Europe really.

It's a shame as businesses in Brussels have suffered massively from the terrorist attacks. Brussels is a great city with lots to offer tourists.

Soldato
OP
Really? Brussels is fine. Terrorists are just as likely to strike in the other major cities to be honest. The same could be said of the UK or anywhere in Europe really.

It's a shame as businesses in Brussels have suffered massively from the terrorist attacks. Brussels is a great city with lots to offer tourists.

Hmm i suppose. I mean, I work in London so thats got the terror threat. However, when i am on holiday do i really want to go somewhere thats been bombed recently? Tbh no..

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Hmm i suppose. I mean, I work in London so thats got the terror threat. However, when i am on holiday do i really want to go somewhere thats been bombed recently? Tbh no..
I don't want to go OT, and you don't have time to go to Brussels anyway, but it's a shame :(

Did you stay at home after 7/7? I totally understand your reasoning though.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29558506 said:
Bruges is a wonderful city, probably the nicest place in Belgium. Its touristy for a reason!

You forget, the OcUK travellers like to go off the beaten track because they like to go to places no one goes to because it's cool to not see all the things that are actually worth seeing.

Soldato
OP
I don't want to go OT, and you don't have time to go to Brussels anyway, but it's a shame :(

Did you stay at home after 7/7? I totally understand your reasoning though.

No i didn't, but thats because i work there so you somehow just carry on. For me, when i go on holiday i want to avoid places like that, at least for a while anyway.

I have three days spare but was just going to check in our hotel and stay around the area where the festival is. Bruges is only around 45 mind away though so may go there after arriving.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
No i didn't, but thats because i work there so you somehow just carry on. For me, when i go on holiday i want to avoid places like that, at least for a while anyway.

I have three days spare but was just going to check in our hotel and stay around the area where the festival is. Bruges is only around 45 mind away though so may go there after arriving.
Are you going to Alcatraz? To be honest, there's not much happening in Kortrijk.
Ypres and Bruges are definitely worth a visit, even if Bruges is further away.

If you have time, you could pop down to Lille (France)...
What are you interested in?

Soldato
OP
Are you going to Alcatraz? To be honest, there's not much happening in Kortrijk.
Ypres and Bruges are definitely worth a visit, even if Bruges is further away.

If you have time, you could pop down to Lille (France)...
What are you interested in?

Yeah going to Alcatraz for the day on the Saturday. I just want to see some culture/landmarks really. The thing that attracted me to Gent is the castle which looks impressive. We are going to Lille on the Eurostar then getting the InterCity into Kortjik, i'll have a look at whats in Lille aswell.

Soldato
OP
Don't blame you, its well known for being withing driving distance of Raqqa :rolleyes:

Might aswell just not bother going, especially to a festival, a large gathering of people in a small area.

Just go and have fun if you possibly can ;)

Well I'm not really over the same side of the country as Brussels anyway so I never thought of going there anyway given the time I have in Belgium and the other places i'd like to go. You have a point about the festival though..

Don
Sorry for the thread hijack, but what is Belgium like for driving in? I am there with work in a couple of weeks, and I cannot decide whether to use public transport or hire a car. I only speak English, and I've only ever driven in the USA or the UK

Soldato
Ghent, gorgeous, go to the Troll Bar and try out some of the best monk brewed ales you could possibly thing of.

As for driving, it's like Fox said, it's fine. My suggestion would be to find a car park fairly central (Ghent or Bruges) and hire a bike for the day. Much easier to get around and pull up to shops.

Soldato
Driven to Bruges twice at Christmas for weekends. Enjoyed it both times. There are some decent hotels where you can rent garages to store the car and then spend the weekend on foot. Bugger me does a sports car sound nice around those little streets! Some great bars, best beer, great restaurants hidden away. Nice place to take the Mrs. Wouldn't go alone\with mates.

Felt a little 'samey' on the second time - can certainly do everything in one weekend. Main square is ok - but yes expensive, and v. touristy. Rabbit Ragu is very good, and the waffles... Oh my.

Gent is supposed to be very good. Next on my .BE list.

Back
Top Bottom