So this Pokemon Go fad thing ..............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Anybody dead or seriously injured yet?

I had no idea about this until yesterday evening.
On Thursday & Friday I experienced 5 pedestrians walking straight in front of my cycle which is not unusual but 5 in 2 days is.
Last night I witnessed from outside the pub, a bloke and his son, nearly get run over because they were looking into a phone and then about 5 minutes later a young couple walk straight into the road doing the same thing.
This prompted a woman to say 'They must be playing Pokemon' which me and others needed an explanation for.
My mate then said that two Australians have been killed walking over a cliff playing a game so that might be it.

So, any good or near miss Darwin stories?

For those that can't read -
I really don't care about the game, it gets people and families out of the house doing something together which is brilliant.
I'm bothered about people pointlessly hurting themselves (and me).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The thing that surprises me the most is that it's actually rubbish and fundamentally pointless. I thought it'd be like the Pokemon games of old but it isn't. There seems to be no real point in collecting the pokemon as you don't really do anything with them :confused:

Soldato
Trying to get it to work to see what fuss is about, seems the servers are being DDos'ed so explains why I can't log in.

Man of Honour
OP
A girl got ran over trying to catch something in the road.

But the danger arises when the characters run away from users, who end up chasing the creatures through parks, roads and fields, often with their eyes glued to their screens.

:eek:
It looks like I'm going to be extra vigilant on my bike then.
I don't give a toss if they walk out in front of my car because I won't get injured.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;29790271 said:
The thing that surprises me the most is that it's actually rubbish and fundamentally pointless. I thought it'd be like the Pokemon games of old but it isn't. There seems to be no real point in collecting the pokemon as you don't really do anything with them :confused:

Good exercise though. I saw one person had walked 20km yesterday tracking down pokemons.

Plus I thought you then go to training arenas and fight with them????

Yeah I don't really get this fad either. Was at Caffe Nero earlier with a mate who said it's like a cross between Facebook and a sat-nav. How he described it, I got the impression that you're on Google Maps with the phone's camera active (so you see around you), then Pokemon characters appear on-screen, like superimposed on whatever's on the camera screen. Then you have to 'tag' the monster / check-in like you do on Facebook. Kinda like playing Pokemon trading cards, but an online version? It'll end up being very grabby like the FB check-in type posts.

Associate
[TW]Fox;29790271 said:

This is what I don't get. I'm putting it down to a simple fad that will fade within the next month or so.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;29790271 said:

That's not surprising that's what most of these games are about especially with in app purchases. They appeal to the type of gamer that will spend anything to collect everything.

I used to play kabams godfather when it started and was and still am amazed how much money people will dump on a game with no real pvp just to be seen as the top dog. Or marvel puzzle quest which I love playing with my son to collect the marvel characters but appeals to people who have got to get and level every character. People in my alliance are spending literally thousands of dollars per month to play candy crush with marvel charcaters.

I'm not longer surprised how much time or money people will spend on pointless time wasters. These things appeal to those of us with addictive personalities, luckily I'm also tight as a ducks *****.

Soldato
I've got it so I can play with my son as he likes the idea, I think it's a decent enough idea to get people out and about.

Dumb people will always be dumb, this game just gives them another opportunity to be stupid rather than making them stupid.

With regard stuff to do they have said in future they will be building in features to give people more to do when they have collected them, it has to start somewhere though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom