Ordering product from Ireland - VAT Rate?

Soldato
I was about to buy a few car parts totalling around £1000 from Ireland and noticed the VAT rate is 23% which is that of Irelands..

Should it be 20% as I live in the UK?

Just thought I'd double check as the company I work for charges VAT at the rate of the country the customers billing address is in. Not sure if it's different because of the services we provide (i.e. no physical products are ever delivered)

Soldato
The rules changed in Jan 2015 for supply of electronic services whereby to individuals VAT is charged as in the customers country (as seems to apply to your company)

For everyone else it's still the same and charged at the suppliers country rate, so they are right.

Soldato
The rules changed in Jan 2015 for supply of electronic services whereby to individuals VAT is charged as in the customers country (as seems to apply to your company)

For everyone else it's still the same and charged at the suppliers country rate, so they are right.

Actually there are limits for physical goods, over a certain value per 12 months (set by the destination country, usually 35k or 100k) you have to register in that country and thus pay that country's vat rate.

For example, if you order from Ocuk in Ireland, your invoice has an irish vat number on it and you pay 23%.

That is all EU stuff however, if you are outside the EU the rate would be zero, and you just chance whatever customs sting you for.

Back
Top Bottom