Mixing memory?

Associate
You really want to match your modules (sticks) as closely as possible. I've mixed ram modules of different brands before but i always checked the speed, voltage and timings to make sure they were rated at the same as the modules i was matching them with. And those were at the CPU's default frequency. Using XMP at 'overclocked' frequencies with different branded or differently timed sticks could be very problematic.

Soldato
I wouldn't mix at all!! One set may use samsung chips and the other hynix so you will end up with very poor timings to get them to work together nicely, can be done if you know what your doing but the perf would be poop!

Soldato
I did this briefly when testing two sets of 2x8gb corsair dominator platinum ddr3 2400mhz for a friend who was in the process of purchasing a rig piece by piece.

One set had slightly better timings than the other so when I added the other two sticks to my system it wouldn't post. Had to reset the cmos and make sure all sticks were running at the timings of the slightly slower kit, other than that though they worked perfectly well together in my system at 2400mhz :) I was sad to go back to my 'measly' 8gb 2133mhz set :) I did run cinebench with them installed and saw a jump in score over mine. Probably not enough to warrant the extra cost though!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom