Does less ram sticks give better OC capability when upgrading ram size

Soldato
so seeing the recommended specs for future releases rising to 16gb it set me thinking.

Does less sticks but more ram give better stability or is it solely based on how much ram is in the system

example i currently have 4x4gb sticks if i upgraded to 2x16gb sticks should i see the same overclocks or will i just be putting extra strain on the cpu regardless of the number of sticks used.

just remembering back to my 955 phenom it didn't like 4x2gb sticks but it managed fine on 2x4gb sticks.

Caporegime
thats what i did but only if you need 32gb. I jsut upgraded but prior to that i had 4 x 4gb.

The only reason i went 4 x 8gb was the memory i bought only comes in 8gb modules.

Caporegime
I suspect it will be less of a strain on the memory controller and subsystems and potentially you might get slightly better overlcocks with two sticks but to what aim?

The difference between running memory as dual or quad channel explained here.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2982...e-shocking-truth-about-their-performance.html

as you can see in games and apps and some benchmarks it makes no difference at all. In specific memory benchmarks it makes a massive difference running in quad over dual.

In fact apart from memory benchmarks it makes no practical difference whether you are running at 2400Mhz or 3200Mhz anyway never mind dual or quad. :)

So if going for some memory benchmark records then fewer sticks should in theory be better for maximum overclocks. In some memory benchmarks the extra speed will be wiped out be the lower bandwidth of running in dual anyway,

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I suspect it will be less of a strain on the memory controller and subsystems and potentially you might get slightly better overlcocks with two sticks but to what aim?

The difference between running memory as dual or quad channel explained here.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2982...e-shocking-truth-about-their-performance.html

as you can see in games and apps and some benchmarks it makes no difference at all. In specific memory benchmarks it makes a massive difference running in quad over dual.

In fact apart from memory benchmarks it makes no practical difference whether you are running at 2400Mhz or 3200Mhz anyway never mind dual or quad. :)

So if going for some memory benchmark records then fewer sticks should in theory be better for maximum overclocks. In some memory benchmarks the extra speed will be wiped out be the lower bandwidth of running in dual anyway,

sounds like swings and roudabouts i'll just go with the quad kit because i can get that a bit cheaper and sell my 16gb kit on

Back
Top Bottom