WSUS - Server 2008r2

Soldato
Any one have any ideas how I get WSUS v3 running on Server 2008r2 to support and push out Win 10 updates.

We are going to do a mass deployment in the office but I don't think the current WSUS 'knows' about Win 10.

I've looked through the catalogue of software it can distribute updates for and Win 10 isn't listed.

Last edited:
Associate
A very quick google search suggests it can, but you can't do it from the server itself.

You need to install the Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) on a Windows 10 machine and use that to connect remotely to your WSUS server.

I can't test it myself, but it's something I may need to do in future, so report back how you get on...

Soldato
OP
I'm currently reading this.

And Googling the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager.

Never used this before.

The other thing is I have to get ready a KMS, WSUS and an automated deployment for Win 10.

They currently have a very misconfigured network here.

They are running server 2008r2. The current WSUS server is in disarray.

I don't think it's been patching the Win 7 clients on the network. It also had run out of space on the hdd, so I've recently done a migration.

It's a mess to be honest.

My thoughts are to scrap the current WSUS and start fresh. Might be easier than trying to untangle the mess.

Associate
Going by your previous post that WSUS is also hosted on a DC, I would agree with your assessment.

The good news is that KMS is an absolute doddle to setup, so I doubt you'll find much of an issue there - however, the minimum threshold for KMS is 25 clients. So you need a fairly large deployment to meet this (Or create a load of dummy VM's).

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Going by your previous post that WSUS is also hosted on a DC, I would agree with your assessment.

The good news is that KMS is an absolute doddle to setup, so I doubt you'll find much of an issue there - however, the minimum threshold for KMS is 25 clients. So you need a fairly large deployment to meet this (Or create a load of dummy VM's).
From memory you get 180 days grace with activation, so as long as you have the necessary number of machines total, there's no problem with reaching the threshold.

Soldato
OP
Is there anything to take in to consideration with regards to scraping the current WSUS and starting again?

Will the clients check in to the new WSUS and report what they've got installed and it will just carry on from there?

---

Seems like my current plan of action is to delete the current WSUS and then reinstall it from scratch.

Any reason why this isn't a good plan?

---

I'm going to give this a bash regarding uninstalling the current WSUS and database.

Last edited:
Associate
Will the clients check in to the new WSUS and report what they've got installed and it will just carry on from there?

Yep, If you've got computer groups created then make sure you recreate them once reinstalled - but that's really it.

Seems like my current plan of action is to delete the current WSUS and then reinstall it from scratch.

Any reason why this isn't a good plan?
Should work just fine, but if it is a DC, installing it elsewhere would be better.
You'll have to go through and approve/decline all the updates again but sometimes nuking from orbit and starting again is easier than trying to fix someone elses mess.

Soldato
OP
It's proving difficult just to remove the damn thing.

I followed this guide.

But after completion the WSUS role is still installed on the server even after a reboot.

---

I don't think it was necessary to do the above as when you remove the role from the server it prompts you to remove the database and updates. However it now fails with a very generic error 0x80070643.

---

This is my precise issue from start to finish.

Last edited:
Soldato
You need to use net stop "WSUS Service" - there's a space in there. But also you should go into Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services, and set the Startup Type to Disabled.

Soldato
I think you need to take a step back and decide not only if you're the right person for this job, but if the scope of the job should be expanded to a full server upgrade (to Server 2012 or 2016 when it gets released). Perhaps you should get someone in to do it and document it?

Soldato
OP
I've managed it!! ;)

Well, basically I've managed to get the WSUS installer to run again.

Question about what Classification to choose.

At the moment the defaults are:

Critical updates
Definition Updates
Security updates

There are other options that look like I should click them:

Drivers
Service Packs
Update Rollups
Updates
Upgrades

Do any of you turn this on?

During the setup of the WSUS I noticed it supports Win10 as well so thats' could.

The plan is to roll out Win 10 to the office. Now I know there is a 'service pack' on the horizon for win 10. I'm guessing we don't want this being deployed on to the PC's automatically. So maybe I shouldn't include the other options.

Soldato
OP
Question regarding out the box configuration.

I've gone and approved the default update classifications.

It has gone and found around 50 of our 60 PC's on the network. Although most haven't checked in yet.

Do I have to create a GPO or will the PC automatically check in with the WSUS?

Back
Top Bottom