Office 365 Education license question - do they stack?

Soldato
Hoping someone can save me a bit of time and headache. Some of the senior leadership at my site want to use features of the ProPlus license of 365 (iPad Word/Excel etc) so I have obtained a number of these license. From the looks of the edit user license screen, it looks like I can apply more than one license at a time so I was thinking I can just add the ProPlus tick alongside the current E1 license to avoid the potential ball ache of recovering mailboxes...

Any ideas?

Associate
Yes you can license for multiple things within the O365 portal, but if you're users are licensed for E1 you can easily move them to E3 just be changing their license.

A mailbox won't be deprovisioned for 30-days after removing a license, allowing you to change the license to a different plan if you want to. Moving from E1 to E3 or E5 are pretty common scenarios.

Soldato
OP
Yes you can license for multiple things within the O365 portal, but if you're users are licensed for E1 you can easily move them to E3 just be changing their license.

A mailbox won't be deprovisioned for 30-days after removing a license, allowing you to change the license to a different plan if you want to. Moving from E1 to E3 or E5 are pretty common scenarios.

Thanks York, I thought as much but you know Microsoft ;)

Xez

Xez

Associate
It also depends on what plan you have gone for as some plans do not remove the mailbox after the set amount of days once a license has been removed. On the cheaper plans that don't allow this I would simply convert the mailbox to a shared mailbox and hide it from the address list. This way it doesn't require a license but it can still receive and send mail if you wanted it to. Converting it back to a user mailbox is easy enough also although it can prove more difficult if you are using DirSync and you delete the AD account.

Back
Top Bottom