Home Cinema wall covering ideas

Associate
As outlined in my other thread I'm putting together a home cinema media room and I need to think about wall coverings and thought I'd create a thread to call on the expertise here for ideas and suggestions.

Black velvet seems to give the best results in terms of performance with a projector but it's both expensive and a method needs to be established on how to fix it to the wall. Currently I'm thinking a vinyl backed black fabric wallpaper may be the answer and I may use self adhesive black velvet for the front wall as there is not as much wall to cover.

The ceiling is going to have a star effect on it with fibre optics so I'll be looking to paint that, so so that I think dark grey for that will be better as black is liable to be too gloomy.

Ideas, help and suggestions most welcome.

Associate
OP
OK, maybe my current choices may spark some thoughts.

Although I want the room to provide good performance from the perspective of the projector and screen I would also like to lift it a bit so it's not too gloomy for everyday use.

I'm still going for largely black wallpaper and looking to use this for the side walls and this for the front and back walls, although I may look into black velvet panels for the front wall. The ceiling and woodwork I'm thinking something like a gun metal grey.

Thoughts?

Soldato
**removed spam post***

Err, that's the whole idea. Black walls stop reflection of light back to the screen - which in turn washes out black definition.

To the OP - velvet whilst expensive can also be used as the front of an acoustic panel. Have you considered the acoustics and absorption/diffusion in the room at all yet?

Associate
OP
Thought this thread was going to disappear so good to see some input.

I will be looking into getting accoustic panels and perhaps putting film poster artwork on them - going to get the room finished first and see how it sounds and go from there.

Associate
OP
This stuff may be good as a wall covering -

Linky

It even says " Our customers have told us it is great for use in home theatre applications as it does not reflect light"

Back
Top Bottom