ESP warning light?

Soldato
Hi all,

My car (VW Touran) has got a light on on the dash that looks like a car with some skid lines coming out the back in orange.

I've also discovered that the ESP button, that turns of the traction control, doesn't do anything any more. It's permanently off.

Is this anything to worry about?

I don't care about traction control, but if it's likely to affect ABS then I would get it fixed asap. We've got a 500 mile trip to do next week to a funeral with 3 small children on board. I don't fancy making this journey if it's something that could cause an accident. So I thought I should ask.

VW want £50 just to have a look at the light and I was wondering if anyone here might know more specifically what that light means?

Thanks,

G

Soldato
That almost certainly will be the G201 pressure sensor failure in the abs module, can you get anyone to read the code for you? Means neither your traction control or abs will operate if it is.

Where abouts are you based because theres various companies that will fix the fault the same day for about £300.

Soldato
As above - I had exactly the same thing fail on my old Octy vRS.
There is a whole list of VW, Skoda, Seat and Audi owners who have seen exactly the same thing happen.
However VW group will not issue a recall on it.

If it's in warranty - no worries, go and get it done.
If it's out of warranty, if you have a full VW service history then ask about a goodwill gesture, ideally ask to have it done FOC as it's a known fault.
Don't take no from the dealership - go directly to VW UK.

If no luck then VW can use a "Fix Kit" to fix the issue. Cost is around £200+vat plus a couple of hours labour.
It used to be a £780+vat repair before the fix kit was released for the "doesn't happen all that often" fault.

Your ESP/ABS won't be working correctly - so you will want to get this sorted.

Soldato
OP
The car is an 06 plate and is not in warranty. I don't have a full VW history I don't think :(

I'm in Widmer End, near High Wycombe.

There is a place called Marlow VW in Cressex that is an independant dub place.

Soldato
OP
I have just driven the car (I don't normally drive this one) and the brakes are absolutely fine. I even took it down a gravelly track and I could tell the abs was working.

However I seemed to be able to Wheelspin quite easily. So I was thinking maybe there IS an issue with the ESP. But then it does say it's off lol. How can I check the sensors? Could something just be dirty?

Thanks,

G

Don
I have just driven the car (I don't normally drive this one) and the brakes are absolutely fine. I even took it down a gravelly track and I could tell the abs was working.

However I seemed to be able to Wheelspin quite easily. So I was thinking maybe there IS an issue with the ESP. But then it does say it's off lol. How can I check the sensors? Could something just be dirty?

Thanks,

G

Have you tried turning the ESP back on again, in case it was knocked off?

Man of Honour
The esp is disabled as it has detected a fault. That's why the light is on. Do as everyone says and get the codes read as you are just guessing until you do.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;20241404 said:
The esp is disabled as it has detected a fault. That's why the light is on. Do as everyone says and get the codes read as you are just guessing until you do.

The usual case of ask for advise but then never follow any of it :D

Soldato
OP
The usual case of ask for advise but then never follow any of it :D

I have emailed the only company I know with a vagcom, other than that, with being at work and not using this car I haven't had time to follow any advice yet give me a chance :p

Unless some kind person on here is near high wycombe and has one?

Soldato
OP
The company with the VAGCOM wanted £50 to scan. By some Bizarre co-incidence I've found someone with the latest VCDS on another forums who completely randomly lives on the same road as me and will do it for a tenner :D

Result :)

Soldato
OP
Address 03: ABS Brakes *******Labels: 1K0-907-379-MK60-F.lbl
**Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 AA ***HW: 1K0 907 379 AA
**Component: ESP FRONT MK60 *****0102 *
**Revision: 00H13001 ***
**Coding: 0021190
**Shop #: WSC 01324 785 00200
**VCID: 71E33CE71132

1 Fault Found:
01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201)
***********012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

Soldato
Address 03: ABS Brakes *******Labels: 1K0-907-379-MK60-F.lbl
**Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 AA ***HW: 1K0 907 379 AA
**Component: ESP FRONT MK60 *****0102 *
**Revision: 00H13001 ***
**Coding: 0021190
**Shop #: WSC 01324 785 00200
**VCID: 71E33CE71132

1 Fault Found:
01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201)
***********012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

That's good at least you know what to get a quote for when phoning around now. Your ABS won't be working with that fault either.

Soldato
OP
That's good at least you know what to get a quote for when phoning around now. Your ABS won't be working with that fault either.

The ABS light isn't on and I can tell from driving it that the ABS is still working, but I still don't know how dangerous it is.

I think I will have the mrs use my other car with the kids until it's sorted though.

Soldato
The ABS won't work with that pressure sensor inoperative. It's not ideal but you can still use the car with the ABS not working, a few years ago no cars even had ABS. The light on the switch is off because you don't have the option to turn it off now it is broken, if the system was ok the switch would be lit.

Back
Top Bottom