Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Mines been in for about 2/3 weeks now Irrespective of time I'm always over 200mb with great upload aswell

Give it time, the clock is well and truly counting down to problems in your area as well.

I think it must be their policy to fix crowded networks by having people leave the service in frustration rather than them spending money upgrading it.

..far cheaper that way.

My line speed is following a very predictable pattern so far

Weekdays:

8am-4pm: 100-185Mbit

4pm-6pm: 40Mbit (rapidly declining by the minute)

6pm-11pm: settles between 5-10Mbit

Weekends (all day) 5-15Mbit

Upload speed remains constant at about 12Mbit all day and ping times remain ok for online gaming, no packet loss during peak time, so far.

I'm lucky in that I work from home, so if I have any large downloads to do I can get them done during the non congested times and rarely use the internet after 6pm for anything other than checking Email or grabbing a weather forecast update on my tablet, so I can live with the restrictions.

If however, I mainly used the PC after work in the evenings like most people do, there is no way I could accept the service as such, and I'd leave for the FTTC connection I can get at around 45-50Mbit, much slower but it's a stable speed available 24/7.

Last edited:
Soldato
FWIW regarding deals, not sure if I could've pushed for better or not, but I was out of contract and called saying I was fed up with the 3 prices increases we got in 2015 alone (Sky, BT and finally Virgin themselves).

We have max everything, Tivo - TV XL (SM/SS and HD Premium) - 152mb - Phone XXL, plus some phone features and an extra non-tivo box. Was paying £138 but got it to £96 for 9 months and they 'activated' the 200mb 'now' instead of Feb/March I read online.

Like I said, dunno if I could've done better, but thats what I got.

Associate
Just looking into taking them up on the upgrade from 152Mbps to 200Mbps.

I see that I'm required to book an engineer to install the new Super Hub, what exactly do they do? Is it not a simple case of swapping my hub over to the new one?

Currently getting: -

5077114228.png

Last edited:
Soldato
hi all, probably been asked a lot but is it possible to get a broadband and TV bundle WITHOUT the phone line? Moving back to my flat in the summer and wanting to check deals. I lived there for a few years before and had VM and the speeds were great so i'd like to stick with them, broadband wise. But i don't want to pay 17.99 a month for a phone line i have no use for.

Associate
hi all, probably been asked a lot but is it possible to get a broadband and TV bundle WITHOUT the phone line? Moving back to my flat in the summer and wanting to check deals. I lived there for a few years before and had VM and the speeds were great so i'd like to stick with them, broadband wise. But i don't want to pay 17.99 a month for a phone line i have no use for.

I think it is possible to get just Broadband and TV without a line, but when I've looked it ended up more expensive when going that route.

I've got a line and have never had anything plugged into it, it's only there as part of the package.

Soldato

It's possible, you can still get TV/Broadband/Phone as standalone products, the thing is they usually charge more for 'solus' products so by taking TV/BBI you tend to get the multi play discount, you normally don't however get the same level of promotions/incentives so price it up and see what works out cheaper. VM are currently trialing VoIP services with the new SH3, so in the future POTS will eventually die, but not for a good few years yet.

Soldato
where you seen that?

Have a look on the back of a white SH3 - you'll soon see exactly what I'm talking about. Pilot area is Manchester IIRC it's been happening since last year but afaik it's not gone beyond closed staff testing. I worked in the industry and still keep in touch with friends who work for several service providers in different capacities.

Soldato
No, I don't and hence haven't taken up the offer.

My question still stands, what exactly does the engineer come and do?

mine was a self install package, and its basically just undo the coax cable and unplug the old router, plug the new one in and screw in the coax, then call the automated phone line and activate it.

Dont see why they need an engineer to come do that unless you need some levels adjusting.

Soldato
I've just upgraded to 200mb, and the new Superhub crap comes on Tuesday - How is the Superhub? Atm I have a Linksys e3000 router, so old and only does 802.11n, would the Superhub be better than that for a couple of months? I'll be running a couple of Chromecast 2's and a NAS drive through it, and all the mobiles in the house are ac capable.

Back
Top Bottom