Spec me a decent dark rum...

Associate
+1 for Mount Gay, really smooth and goes well with coke. That Kraken rum looks pretty good , might have to get some for the weekend.
Morgan's Spiced is fairly cheapy one that goes well with coke too

Associate
My favourite rum for mixing with coke is Havana Club Anejo Especial. Squeeze a wedge of lime in there and it's perfect.

Try Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva which is Venezuelan.
I bought some at Christmas after reading reviews and it is fabulous.

Definitely not for mixing with coke!!

Ron Zacapa is one of my favourites, but not as a mixer - neat only. That said the bottle I have has lasted me 3 years so far! :p It is delicious but I'm not a big drinker and have it from time to time. (I drink on average once a month if that).

I've had the Sistema Solera 23 which is very nice, and currently have a bottle of Centenario XO (best rum I've ever tried).

Other good shouts for sipping rums are:

Angostura 1919 probably the best value sipping rum available.
Angostura 1824, very nice but not worth the extra on the 1919 imo.

El Dorado 15, superb.
El Dorado 21, almost as good as the Ron Zacapa XO.

Pusser's 15, a huge let down.

Man of Honour
I tend to be a spice rum fan

But I do enjoy Woods Old Navy Rum (a bit stronger than your average rum though)

First time I tried Woods I spent the bus journey home sat on the floor as it was the only place safe for me not to fall off of.
The joys of underage drinking :o:D

Soldato
It is also one of the most disgusting drinks ever invented by mankind.
I'd have said that about most rum, though... I generally prefer rum-flavoured things, rather than rum itself. Used to get Rum Drops, like the Cherry Drops that are still available.

Then again, I'm assuming I've only ever had access to the awful brands of rum anyway. That Kraken might be one to try...!

Soldato
Bought a mate a bottle of that Kraken for his birthday which is supposed to be really nice. He's coming round mine on Friday night and he said he'd bring it round to sample!

Associate
Got a sudden taste for it and am going to pop out to the shops. For drinking with Coke obviously.
TIA.

I think a lot of people have missed the mark of what you are actually asking and you've been given a lot of expensive sipping rums as recommendations, which is a complete waste for a simple rum and coke/ cuba libre.

Kraken is a great spiced rum for just mixing with coke, works great in a 2:1 coke to rum ratio. Bacardi Oakheart is also a great mixer for coke.

If you fancy just a standard rum, I'd recommend you just pick either any havanah club Anejo rum or Bacardi Carta oro. For a truly excellent cuba libre pick up a bottle of angostura bitters and some lime, with these ratios:

2 shots rum
5 shots coke
2 dashes angostura
1/4 shot of lime juice
plenty of ice and a fresh lime wedge.

Back
Top Bottom