First Water Project: The Mad Titan

Soldato
Hmm, surely if the correct SLI bridge doesn't fit, the block is not suitable for the card. A strange design decision at best.
Maybe the backplate will fit but not all of the screws. Worst case you could put a black EK backplate on and copy the MSI logo in vinyl?

Associate
Dude... EK-FC1080 GTX TF6 is also compatible with MSI® GeForce® GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G.

Yeah I know, I said it is the same PCB ;), I actually cheaped out even more by buying the Armour version, still the same PCB :D

But ewwwy, looks like it is not full length cover like the EK Seahawk :mad:

Hmm, surely if the correct SLI bridge doesn't fit, the block is not suitable for the card. A strange design decision at best.
Maybe the backplate will fit but not all of the screws. Worst case you could put a black EK backplate on and copy the MSI logo in vinyl?

Very good point, does not apply to me but OP should look into this

Last edited:
Associate
OP

It is odd for sure.... I will make the backplate fit, i'm not worried about that as much as I am regarding the HB bridge - It must be a size thing... I guess it would give me a chance to make my own plexi/acrylic design... No big deal, just annoying...

How is Silent Overkill coming along mate?

Cheers
Ras

Soldato
How is Silent Overkill coming along mate?

Cheers
Ras

Slowly. I was forced to go on holiday. Forced I tell you ;) but that meant clearing all my (paid) work beforehand and catching up when I got back. The dust is settling and I'm hoping to get the first draft of the block design done this week - have to integrate the bottom section of an Aqualis 880 XT into it and retain the fill level sensor.
Should be able to get the wiring for the fans done today once the parts turn up - none of the fan plugs fit in the gap between the rad and I refuse to have them trailing around on show - so I had to source a thinner connector and I'll have to re-solder them all. Hopefully get some pics up later.

Associate
OP
Just a quick update:

Modified fans (all 15 of 'em!)
6LFjWfGl.jpg

Front flex bay modified (1 x 280 rad, 3 x 140mm fans, Aquaero Purple (modded) and one free gap)
pqUg7ybl.jpg

Custom Purple Acrylic Back Plate
wU9lWmgl.jpg
FONABprl.jpg
HBH8Kmol.jpg

Couple more mods to come and the water blocks too!

Cheers
Ras :)

Soldato
Does the purple backplate go over the existing one or did you have to re-mount the specially levelled res's? :eek:

Aquaero Purple: filter over the display?

Might have to investigate fan hub stickers. The Aerocool ones on my fans look good when they're static....but awful when they're spinning. Too slow to homogenise, they just look a jumbled mush of colour. Was thinking something that would become something once spinning.

Soldato
That's the second full cover block I've seen lately, I can't believe I've never took any notice of them before. They look great, as does your build in general.

Well done.

P.S I know you've only fitted the blocks, but tubing all that up should be great fun. Enjoy!

Associate
OP
Hey mate,

I fitted the purple backplate over the existing one, it was touch and go on the measurements, and fitting everything in was literally to the MM or less! I am so pleased with it! The rads just required remounting through the new holes thank god! :)

Replaced the screen in the aquaero for a purple one and the fans have custom cut circles of carbon vinyl - there were no pre cut ones big enough!

I like the idea of a static image becoming a moving one when the fans spin... :)

Cheers
Ras

Associate
OP
That's the second full cover block I've seen lately, I can't believe I've never took any notice of them before. They look great, as does your build in general.

Well done.

P.S I know you've only fitted the blocks, but tubing all that up should be great fun. Enjoy!

Thanks! Much appreciated! I am really pleased with it so far! I have begun bending the PETG and it is pretty tough... Watch this space! :)

Cheers
Ras

Associate
OP
Update:
Removed the Shoggy's as the pumps just moved around too much when all plumbed in - opted for 140mm fan attachments vertically mounted to the radiator.

x5x7B9wl.jpg

Here is a question... I can fit another 140mm fan in the bottom although it would cover the PSU... so a) does this affect the operating temperatures of the PSU or the case in a negative/positive way and b) is their any other gain at all in doing this other than aesthetics? Even that is questionable as the other fans are exhaust and this one would need to be intake, but hey ho!

I am off to mount my 1080 blocks! :)

Thoughts please!
Cheers
Ras

Soldato
Your PSU side fan will be pulling air in and exhausting it out the back of the case - or it will if it's not powered down until the temperature rises. Having another fan mounted in front of it (side of case by the look of it) is only going to be redundant to that to be honest. Now a fan at the front, would blow air over those pumps which could be beneficial - but it could be if they're rad mounted that they have plenty of air flow already....can't really see from that pic.

Associate
OP
Yeah that's what I thought mate. I have 4 x 140mm fans pulling air into the case, through the 560mm rad and over the pumps. I then have 3 x 140mm fans on the other side (the side that you can see) that will be pulling the hot air from the psu out of the case.
I just wondered if adding another fan to bring more air into the psu would increase efficiency of the psu; or potentially decrease it.

Cheers
Ras

Soldato
It shouldn't do a lot either way - as far as I'm aware. As long as the components of the PSU stay within their temperature limits, it'll be fine. The only thing you could run into is that the PSU's fan pulls air in and blows it out the back. The fans you say are normally where we're looking through sound like they're blowing the other way which would mean some air being drawn in through the PSU - the opposite way to its own fan. That would be fine and would keep it cool but if it gets hot enough to need to switch its own fan on, it would then be fighting against the case fan and could, perversely, result in less cooling if they cancel each other out.
You could either reverse the case fans - although that doesn't sound massively practical - or the PSU fan. If you do reverse the PSU fan, it would invalidate the warranty (by opening the box) and also, you'd need to make sure that you have drained the capacitors (power it on with no mains attached and then wait a while) before you go poking around - otherwise it could still have some juice left in it.

Associate
OP
Here are the blocks installed and in place on the board with the bridge.

FYI the stock backplate (that i quite like!) that comes with the 1080 Gaming X is confirmed as not being able to fit with current fittings - the screws are completely different in size and length and I would need to order some from a third party to make it fit. Not too much of an issue i guess - just annoying.

I plan on waiting to see what EK release to accompany these blocks and then I will make a decision either way.

I have to say though that these blocks look amazing in the flesh, and in the build, what do you think?

TNfGcXEl.jpg

Cheers

Ras

Soldato
Size and length you can do something about; it's if they're in different places that you've got problems.

How clear is that purple backplate? If you were to put some LED striplights round the edge of it - and I mean with the LEDs facing against the edge not on the front near the edge - could you edge-light it? Might need the panel shaving down at the edges by a mm or two to fit them but could look really cool....or disappointing.

Back
Top Bottom