Intel i7-6700K
MSI Z170A SLI PLUS
MSI Nvidia GTX970 Gaming 4G
MSI Nvidia GTX970 Gaming 4G
MSI Gaming Series SLI bridge
Avexir Blitz 4*4GB DDR4
Avexir S100 SSD 120GB
Western Digital 2TB HDD

The theme for the project is Star Citizen, specifically design elements of a ship by the MISC company. With colours being grey, black, orange and white.

Thank you to all partners for having faith in my work and giving me the opportunity. :rock:

This first post will be MASSIVE with pictures of all the hardware and in the end the first steps of modding the chassis.

Enjoy! :dremel: :thumb:

Core P5 Chassis

The MSI hardware

Our CPU for this build

AVEXIR hardware

Thermaltake hardware and watercooling

Fitting the hardware on the motherboard

I went onto Skype with my buddy Django Soeterboek and we drew up some custom panels for the Core P5. I wanted to make a mod with it that no one has done until now. You see a LOT of Core P5 mods and watercooling builds. And I wanted it to be different persé. So a custom front and rear panel to accommodate the new lay-out I have in mind. And to hang the PSU under the case. Yes under the case.

I had to put the jigsaw to use to make sure the openings of the new panels were also in the case.

I then made some brackets and modified the standard pump brackets to make sure the pumps would fit into the case the way I wanted. Which is upright with the pump hanging through the bottom plate.

I then fitted the radiators and fans to the chassis. The rads basically hang on the rear panel. Which is 3mm thick aluminium so holds fine. I had to drill 2 extra holes in the plate so the in- and outlet ports would also be accessible xD

This is my oldest daughter that likes to help her daddy build and mod. This makes a daddy a very very very very happy daddy. <3

Now making sure the power supply can hang under the case with the new brackets.

After this making holes in the top panel and tapping them so the standoffs could be places. Then making holes for the GPU to be placed and the standard Core P5 IO shield so the gfx cards won’t fall off xD. They have to be very secure because it will be getting shipped to Dreamhack on Monday the 13th of june. Otherwise it won’t make Dreamhack Summer 2016in time 

And that is all so far for the update. I hope you are enjoying it. See you at the next update!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So I went back to designing the bottom side of the case. As always with Django. Since the theme is Star Citizen I has the idea of the glass plate on the bottom so the light could reflect in it and maybe even a bit if the shape of the bottom of the case.

Having the PSU and radiators hang from the bottom it already directed to a certain shape which actually worked really well for a ship or space ship with the middle being lower.

Here are the grills/covers we designed and lasercut from 3mm side side matt acrylic.
I bent them using my trusty ghetto heatwire bender that still works above my expectations.

I also spent time making all the extension cables. I was still waiting for the final few parts to arrive before I could go on building.

Making your own sleeved extensions is not exactly FUN, but making your opwn cables from scratch is extremely fullfilling. Having the exact length and colours you need/want. It just makes me feel good when testfiting them and thinking "yep this is exactly what I needed".

I then started testfitting the PSU cover and grill. And drilled 2 holes in it so the bottom 3 fans on each side could be routed straight into case out of sight.

I also created 2 panels for around the fancontroller. In the end it will fit there flush with the panels.

Last I received the HDD for this build. It is a 2TB WD Blue so nice for storage of all the files and games and whatnot. I still had a HDD cooler lying around somewhere. Which would work perfectly for this mod. Fits right inside the thin case, is stealthy and keeps the HDD cool. Plus it gives a nice way to fit the HDD to the chassis.

Associate
OP
Small update. When the top panel is on you can still see the inside a bit and I wanted that to be as black as possible so it would not distract. So I took it apart and put black vinyl over the top of the bottom panel. I also put vinyl on the mounts of the pumps.

Associate
This project looks brilliant, I'm surprised at the Thermaltake pipe cut/bend kit though as I wouldn't have thought it would have been as good as what it looks. Also excellent work on the custom cut metal for the project, I'd love to have a system in the external case like this but the dust would be a pain.

Great work and I look forward to seeing the build progress :)

Associate
OP
Great build progress, i really do like that case :p nice to see you have an extra set of hands to help out, all i get is the missus telling where to go if i ask for help lol

hahaha yeah it is great for a dad to have some help.
I think next time I am going to let her disassemble the case with me.
I bet she would love that.

It has been 3 years since I purchased my computer and I really want to upgrade but wallet says no. Beautiful build btw!

Save up for it ;)

Thank you very much.

Really nice build man, those cuts are so neat.

Thanks Jan :)

This project looks brilliant, I'm surprised at the Thermaltake pipe cut/bend kit though as I wouldn't have thought it would have been as good as what it looks. Also excellent work on the custom cut metal for the project, I'd love to have a system in the external case like this but the dust would be a pain.

Great work and I look forward to seeing the build progress :)

Thank you buddy. Great to see you following this mod again.

I also like the kit a LOT! Works really well with their stuff. No idea what is costs though.

Dust smusht :p
Nothing some pressured air cannot solve ;)

Back
Top Bottom