Memory Upgrade Question

Associate
I know this is likely to be a stupid question because I have always known the answer to it.

But, I currently have two sticks of 4gb g skill ram 2133mhz which run at 1600mhz, and I am going to buy 2x8gb hyperx ram running at 1600mhz.

Is it possible to run these modules in the same pc or would that be in Egon Spenglers words "Extraordinarily Bad!" I really mean wont run very well.

Associate
It's generally best not to mix and match RAM, but if you're getting the new stuff anyway, it isn't going to nuke the planet if you test it.

If it works and you have no issues, fair play, if not, take the old memory and set it aside somewhere it wont get damaged as a backup plan. That way you have known good sticks to swap in if you or anyone you know has issues.

Associate
I ran an old socket A Nforce 2 with 2x 256mb Crucials in DDR and later went on to add a 256mb kingston and 128mb kingston module and it worked fine :)
that was with a 1.8ghz OC on an xp1800 chip just using the multiplier lol 133mhz x 14 = 1862mhz- happy days

Associate
If the voltage is the same
And you are running all modules at the lowest denomination of frequency and highest in timings
It should worck
But check the motherboard manual for the matching ram slots to get dual channel

Back
Top Bottom